SkyscraperCity banner

1 - 20 of 115 Posts

·
21,885 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
THE NEWCASTLE SUBURBS (No. 1). . .
Gosforth, Newcastle 3

So far the old 'Historic Photos' of Newcastle have concentrated mainly on the City Centre, so I thought it was time we posted some photos from other parts of Newcastle, starting with my favourite old photo of Gosforth High Street in 1903 . .

The High Street again, this time looking 'very old' back in 1895 . . .

A 'little bit' more up to date - the High Street in 1952, showing (white building towards the back) one of Newcastle's longest lasting suburban cinemas - The Royalty.

·
21,885 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
THE NEWCASTLE SUBURBS (No. 2) . . .
Jesmond, Newcastle 2.

Not such an 'old' photo really, but one that certainly shows some differences from now - this was taken in 1970 along Osborne Road, and where are all the open air bars?

This is a great photo from 1910 (taken from the Osborne Road junction with Holly Avenue (I used to live in Holly Ave . . but not then!) Again, the buildings are exactly the same ones, but HOW different it all looks now, with all the open air bars, etc . .

Now how many people remember Chapmans Siesta Furnishing (now in Carliol Square, on John Dobson St) being here on the corner of Jesmond Road and the Great North Road?

The Flora Robson Playhouse on Benton Bank, Jesmond Vale. Here it is in 1971, being demolished to make way for a "Cradlewell Bypass" project that did not happen. It was only recently that a Cradlewell Bypass was finally built.

and I couldn't resist this one . . .

The text above refers to it as the 'Jesmond Playhouse', but at the time of it's demolition in 1971, it was called The Flora Robson Playhouse.

·
21,885 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
THE NEWCASTLE SUBURBS (No. 3) . . .
Westerhope, Newcastle 5.

My favourite part of Westerhope, The Jingling Gate shown here back in 1977 . . looking very similar to nowadays, I think?

But, back in 1910, the Jingling Gate did look a bit different!

·
21,885 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
THE NEWCASTLE SUBURBS (No. 4) . . .
Byker, Newcastle 6.

I had many good times here in the 70s . . . well, I remember going in a lot of times, but I'm not too certain after that!

Shields Road in 1974, looking very different to now. This is just along from Parrishes Department Store (I cannot find an old photo with Parrishes in it, I'll keep on looking!). But, how unusual is that, to have a genuine fully-fledged Department Store in Newcastle OUTSIDE the City Centre! It closed in the 1980s, became Michael Parrish Electrical Discount Store for a while, and now has been converted (mostly) to residential accommodation.

The back streets of Byker were GREAT places. This is Albion Row in 1969, but for me it was the identical Brinkburn Street that I grew up in through the late 60s. Each one of the back doors was a 'goal' for endless football matches. It was like that until the 70s, when the Byker wall was built.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Great building. It was almost demolished in the 90's but the Civic Trust came in and did a conservation plan for it. Wimpy then later developed it as flats and did a pretty good job. The internal space is art deco influenced and is very unique.

The rear of the building was unfortunately demolished and a rubbish cul-de-sac heaven type estate was built.

·
Registered
6,456 Posts
Great building. It was almost demolished in the 90's but the Civic Trust came in and did a conservation plan for it. Wimpy then later developed it as flats and did a pretty good job. The internal space is art deco influenced and is very unique.

The rear of the building was unfortunately demolished and a rubbish cul-de-sac heaven type estate was built.
yes you see that as you go along the ECML on the train, it doesn't really step up to the challenge of building alongside such a bold piece of architecture.

crazy to think it couldve been lost, but people generally don't have the foresight to envisage something refurbished and tarted up, and too often go with the easy option of demolition.

·
Registered
970 Posts

·
21,885 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Another building i like BUT i know nowt about it - its the one off Grandstand Road, sort of behind the Kwik Fit Garage on Kenton Road.

I love this building too. Its called Moor Court is exclusive apartments in Gosforth with amazing views over the town moor. It is a truly impressive art deco building. It stands seven storeys tall with two symmetrical wings which project from a central stone tower. It is constructed mostly from brick, with stone and glass.

Attached to Moor Court is Gosforth Squash Club, which has garages on the ground floor, varies in height between two and four storeys.

Another great 1930’s buildings is Granville Court in Jesmond. I still haven’t worked out how to upload pictures yet otherwise I would put one up!
Yes, I like these "1930s style" blocks of flats, and there are a few good examples in Newcastle.

Moor Court, the one originally mentioned.

Granville Court.

and the others from this era that come to mind are 'Osborne Court' (on Osborne Avenue next to Northumberland Cricket Ground) and the one next to the Jewish Cynagogue on Eskdale Terrace.

I do not (as yet) have photos of the latter two.

·
21,885 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
THE NEWCASTLE SUBURBS (No. 5) . . .
Walker, Newcastle 6.

Aerial photo of Walker in 1961 . .

Church Street 1960, and Walker Road 1961 . .
[/QUOTE]

Church Street Trolleybus Terminus, circa 1936/37 . .

Welbeck Cinema, Scrogg Road, 1967 . .

Cleaning the streets on Walker Road in 1910 . .

Newcastle & Gateshead Water Co, Allendale Road, 1971 . .

This photo is described as "Walker Shopping Precinct 1973" (is this Church Walk?) . .

Walker Health Centre, Church Walk, 1972 . .

·
Registered
1,834 Posts
Is it in that paradise which is Summerhill Square?
When you think about it Newcastle has the most exquisite pockets of inner city housing : Summerhill, Brandling village, Claremount Road and St Thomas and I've just remembered the Granger developments in west end
I hope it is in Summerhill because that's what I would like to know about today, how did that area develop, who lived there and what did they sell in the shops in Westgate Hill Road before the motorbikes?

·
Part Time Contributor
43,261 Posts
When you think about it Newcastle has the most exquisite pockets of inner city housing : Summerhill, Brandling village, Claremount Road and St Thomas and I've just remembered the Granger developments in west end
I hope it is in Summerhill because that's what I would like to know about today, how did that area develop, who lived there and what did they sell in the shops in Westgate Hill Road before the motorbikes?
Yes its in Summerhill, now you need to identify the name of the person who lived there and also perhaps the name of the street/road/terrace/avenue :)

One other good area for period housing is Framlington Place.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Growly Grace - I live in the Summerhill conservation area. You can read quite a bit about it on the city council's site here:

http://www.newcastle.gov.uk/wwwfileroot/regen/plantrans/conservation/Summerhill.pdf

The shops on Westgate Hill are currently outside the conservation area though that may change in the future

·
Part Time Contributor
43,261 Posts
Mo Mowlan, between Westgate Rd and [loosely] the Summerhill Square area [Notting Hill meets the Bronx :)].
Well done Newcastlepubs - I hadn't realised the history of the house until a City Guides Walk on 31st July 2011. The previous times I had photographed Summerhill the Commemorative Plaque wasn't there.

Mo Mowlam 1949-2005

Respected Politician MP for Redcar 1987-2001 Northern Ireland secretary 1997-1999, led talks that resulted in the Good Friday Agreement in 1998. Lived in this house from 1979-1983. "It takes courage to push things forward"

Mo Mowlem was formerly a lecturer (Politics) at Newcastle University.

This shot taken in 2003 - pre Plaque:

Shots taken on 31st July 2011:

·
Registered
1,834 Posts
Just back form a big walk this time we were investigating the big enormous houses in Gosforth, obviously I am still obsessed by who is living in them and what they do for a living. We walked down "The Drive" and in the middle of it was this stunning villa that was much older than any thing around it looking like a little stately home. What did I see?

1 - 20 of 115 Posts