I found this searching for Stas' gtc :)
subway systems of the world, presented on the same scale
http://www.fakeisthenewreal.org/subway/
examples:
London

Tokyo

San Francisco

Moscow

I'm amazed to see some small subway systems for such big cities like Vancouver or Atlanta.
of course I don't know how efficient they are

·
Banned
29,118 Posts
Sometimes an extensive network is not needed. The way they plan Metro is select an area where most people work and an area where most people live, - then connect them. When most people work in the centre, an "X" system is created, thus dividing city into four zones and intercepting each line in the centre.

In an industrial city, it can be a one line metro that would perfectly serve city's needs. For example there's an area where factory(s) is so that's one end of the line and then just stretch it to the major commieblock district. That's how it's done in Dnipropetrovs'k.

·
Super Moderator
11,285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
^yes I realize that, and on top of that it may not show all, such as in Paris it doesn't shot the RER connection with the suburbs, however when you're talking LA, I realize in LA they like their cars and the system was built for the olympics, I still believe they could have a more extensive network for such a giant city. But I guess they use other means of public transportation.

·
Banned
29,118 Posts
Too bad they don't have Kyiv on that site. You would see how huge Kyiv is. I've compared my maps of Kyiv and New-York today and it turns out NY is only slightly larger. While it's population is three times larger. Kyiv has a lot of space between residential districts and a lot of parks, and it makes it a huge city.

·
Torontonian 4ever
9,891 Posts
LOL Toronto's is funny, it pisses me off how such a huge city has such a shitty ass subway system. Where I live it's a 15 min ride to the nearest subway, unacceptable.:D

·
Banned
29,118 Posts
That's actually not that bad. Warsaw has only one line and there are many more CAPITAL cities without a subway at all.

·
iMod
4,436 Posts
Pan_Stanislav said:
That's actually not that bad. Warsaw has only one line and there are many more CAPITAL cities without a subway at all.
Toronto isn't a capital city.
I don't know, I guess we should be happy for what we have, but our system is very crappy.
We pay basically the same fare as in NYC metro, but our subway system is about 1/20 of the extent of the NYC system.
Our subways always get stuck, and they just planned on going on strike, leaving everyone stranded. I would have no way to get to university, yet we still had to write our exams. I've never heard of something like that in NYC.

·
Banned
29,118 Posts
I know that Toronto is not the capital, that's why I mentioned it. Toronto is lucky to have a subway, period. Even Odessa doesn't have it.

Fares in New-York are ridiculously high. They're just forcing people to buy cars. Which is not a good way out either in New-York considering our insurance rates, which are highest in the world I think. Even then, you can't ever find a parking when you need one. So there's no easy way out in New-York :(

·
Torontonian 4ever
9,891 Posts
^Sydney's is a joke. It's not even a metro what it is is a suburban rail network that goes underground for a few stops. Kinda like the Go Train in Toronto or the Beovoz in Belgrade, but on a larger scale.

·
Banned
29,118 Posts
Bra Inspector said:
Sub systems are a great target for terrorist attacks. I'm glad my city does't have one.
:weirdo:

Cities are great target for terrorist attacks, too bad my country has cities :(

·
iMod
4,436 Posts
Filip said:
^Sydney's is a joke. It's not even a metro what it is is a suburban rail network that goes underground for a few stops. Kinda like the Go Train in Toronto or the Beovoz in Belgrade, but on a larger scale.
Toronto's subway is not always underground either, most stations that are not in downtown run a good way above the surface.

·
Torontonian 4ever
9,891 Posts
iMariah said:
Toronto's subway is not always underground either, most stations that are not in downtown run a good way above the surface.
4 stations out of like 30+ stations. That sounds like mostly uderground.

·
Banned
29,118 Posts
Metro is not necessarily underground. In order for it to be a Metro, it must be an independent railway-based city-transportation city and some other characteristics. Almost every metro in the world has surface stations.

1 - 20 of 85 Posts