Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 20 of 332 Posts

·
Registered
669 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
i didn;t notice the thread on these two towers...i'll just create one...but they got their crane today. mods plz edit the thread title for specifics...

·
Registered
669 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yea it is pretty big eh?

here's a render from their site if anyone's interested. the circled red is what's U/C right now, the other 2 towers are already built.

·
Banned
295 Posts
I think the two new towers are quite handsome - they're just dulled by repetition a bit (either would look quite nice on its own). The name is DREADFUL though.

·
Banned
289 Posts
The name sounds like those cheezy named Chinese restaurants...you know, like the ones named "Happy Go-Lucky Success" or "Success Fortune Dragon" or "Golden Money Success".

·
Premium Member
79,203 Posts
I don't know where some of these developers get their marketing from. Some of it is just horrible and tacky.
I'm sure some of the developers are horrible and tacky themselves. But it will be interesting watching
a neighbourhood take shape where they used to be just a field of weeds and assorted trash.

·
Have vision. Think big.
623 Posts
As far as bad condo names, this one is up there with Beyond the Sea. I have a good friend who absolutely hates the pompous, pretentious, wannabe-sophisticated, shallow side of Toronto and this tower epitomizes it for him.

He absolutely goes off when this tower is brought up or he sees an ad for it. It is hilarious to watch his meltdowns. I tend to agree with him about this, but I'm not as passionate. He's the same guy who had me nearly drive off the road from laughing at his rant after he saw a white Hummer parked illegally outside a gym. Too much profanity to repeat, but it was sure funny.

·
Registered
255 Posts
How many 50+?

Trying to figure out exactly how many 50+ story buildings are underway in the city at the moment. I'm counting 6 (2 towers of MLS, Pinnacle/Success, Ritz, Bay-Adelaide, and Yonge-Eg), with 3 more possibly or likely to start this year (Trump, L Tower, and Shangri-La). Am I missing any?

·
Have vision. Think big.
623 Posts
I love that no rendering ever acknowledges the presence of the Gardiner. It is either left out entirely or depicted as a regular city street.

·
Premium Member
79,203 Posts
As far as bad condo names, this one is up there with Beyond the Sea. I have a good friend who absolutely hates the pompous, pretentious, wannabe-sophisticated, shallow side of Toronto and this tower epitomizes it for him.

He absolutely goes off when this tower is brought up or he sees an ad for it. It is hilarious to watch his meltdowns. I tend to agree with him about this, but I'm not as passionate. He's the same guy who had me nearly drive off the road from laughing at his rant after he saw a white Hummer parked illegally outside a gym. Too much profanity to repeat, but it was sure funny.
He should do a bit of travelling, or at least join SSC and visit some of the world city construction threads. This trend for esoteric names for new buildings is international. I doubt if there are many cities in the Western world that don't have condo going up called "Lumiere"! LOL! I have friends the same as this guy sounds, and to be honest I spend less and less time with them as I get so sick of listening to them go on ridiculing everything about Toronto.

·
Torontonian 4ever
9,891 Posts
He should do a bit of travelling, or at least join SSC and visit some of the world city construction threads. This trend for esoteric names for new buildings is international. I doubt if there are many cities in the Western world that don't have condo going up called "Lumiere"! LOL! I have friends the same as this guy sounds, and to be honest I spend less and less time with them as I get so sick of listening to them go on ridiculing everything about Toronto.
According to my friend Beyond the Sea is almost sold out - mostly to brokers. Geuss they did SOMETHING right! Their sales centre btw, is extremely ostentatious.

Btw I don't know where to put this so while we're on topic... Phase II of the Breeze development at Humber Bay Shores is to be called Nautilus.. Here we go, another water-sounding name!

·
Premium Member
79,203 Posts
"Beyond the Sea" is beyond the pale, and truly the silliest name I have heard since that condo in Leeds was built, and named after some place in California, like Malibu!! LOL! I can think of no two places less alike than Leeds in England, and Malibu in California....

1 - 20 of 332 Posts