Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I looked for a good while trying to find this type of thread...

Basically, I thought it would be interesting to find out more about successful business people to come from Liverpool? Be it self-made successes starting their own business or working their way up the ladder of a large company (ie. Terry Leahy).

Thought it may also highlight how we could be losing key creative, business-minds to other cities.

For example, I feel that my brother has made a success of himself...considering he grew up on a council estate in Kirkby and left school without much to talk about, he is now based in London with a successful record of property development. He is also the director (main shareholder) of a luxury boutique hotel in Zanzibar, Z Hotel (www.thezhotel.com).

Anyway I thought it would be interesting to find about more successes to come from Liverpool...and hopefully gain some inspiration for when I leave unviersity.

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
I looked for a good while trying to find this type of thread...

Basically, I thought it would be interesting to find out more about successful business people to come from Liverpool? Be it self-made successes starting their own business or working their way up the ladder of a large company (ie. Terry Leahy).

Thought it may also highlight how we could be losing key creative, business-minds to other cities.

For example, I feel that my brother has made a success of himself...considering he grew up on a council estate in Kirkby and left school without much to talk about, he is now based in London with a successful record of property development. He is also the director (main shareholder) of a luxury boutique hotel in Zanzibar, Z Hotel (www.thezhotel.com).

Anyway I thought it would be interesting to find about more successes to come from Liverpool...and hopefully gain some inspiration for when I leave unviersity.
He's done well. It's just a shame that he could not start his successful venture in his home town. We could do with loads of Liverpool based ventures like this.

·
Human Being
43,365 Posts
One of the brothers that started Home Bargains - forget name, but small family business started in Old Swan - still lives in Liverpool, or certainly plans to, as he is the person responsible for the very expensive and extensive renovation of the old Woolton Redbourne Hotel - it is to be his family home.

And of course, Phil Redmond must be worth a bit.

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
He's done well. It's just a shame that he could not start his successful venture in his home town. We could do with loads of Liverpool based ventures like this.
I know, I've tried persuading him to invest in Liverpool (even to the point of property hunting) but he won't take the risk. Hopefully one day I'll be in the financial position to do the same but in Liverpool!

·
Registered
3,297 Posts
Me.

Had my promotion assessment in Manchester a couple of weeks back. There were people on all levels within the business and from all over the country competing for promotion. I smashed the competition to smitherines, got promoted, pay rise and only went and won best presentation of the day. Representing the city! Boss.

·
Registered
1,951 Posts
Me.

Had my promotion assessment in Manchester a couple of weeks back. There were people on all levels within the business and from all over the country competing for promotion. I smashed the competition to smitherines, got promoted, pay rise and only went and won best presentation of the day. Representing the city! Boss.
Well done. Now move the assessment centre and the business a few miles west. :)

·
Registered
3,297 Posts
BeeGee don't worry... my office is in our fair city. Manchester held the assessment day as it was seen as 'central' for all those travelling from other parts of the country. Manchester and Birmingham offices generally get to hold these days and therefore get the extra business bookings at hotels etc. My guess is that this happens with a lot of business within the UK.

Apologies... slightly off thread...

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well its up to you whether to post about actors/actresses, but I would like to find more about successes in the private sector because you're less likely to read about them in the paper.

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
another major one would be George Davies, another retailer who founded Next, George at ASDA, Per Una at M&S (which turned the company around from near bankruptcy) and has recently set up the G1ve

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks for those, definitely hadn't heard of either!

I see a lot of the people on this website are fans of twitter...I'm currently experimenting with twitter to use as free advertising for my brothers hotel so if any of you would like to support us please follow www.twitter.com/ZHotel or 'like' us on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Z-Hotel-Zanzibar/183604611653697

Your support would be very much appreciated :)

·
Registered
425 Posts
1 - 20 of 23 Posts