SkyscraperCity Forum banner
21 - 30 of 30 Posts
The footpaths are so inconsistent. I'd rather the money being spent on the big 'flagship' projects at the moment had instead been spent on general streetscape improvements around the CBD.

Auckland Council seem to lurch from one big project to the next without ever considering all of the little things that need fixing.

Even the flagship projects are in a dire state.

St Patrick’s Square is a car park and has been one for many years. No one seems to be able to make an impact. Even the councillors or local board members.

Tree replacement on Fort Street, Freyberg Square and Vulcan Lane is very very slow. If they do end up planting something it’s often a piddly little tree that gets trampled a couple of weeks later. Back to square one. Some trees on Chancery Lane never got replanted years after the grand opening of the project.

And the paving rarely gets washed. Te Komititanga has already started to stain.

And the paving rarely gets washed. Te Komititanga has already started to stain.
This is a weird one to me - I live near Khartoum Place and they wash it probably once a month or month and a half (so I assume they wash most places that often) but it still stains super quickly. Is it just the type of paving that Auckland has used everywhere is just not very stain resistant? On a side note, during L4 last year it went a few months without a proper clean and while there wasn't much human-caused staining, I was surprised at the impact of the pigeons and the falling leaves - you really can't get away with washing less than they currently do.

Even the flagship projects are in a dire state.

St Patrick’s Square is a car park and has been one for many years. No one seems to be able to make an impact. Even the councillors or local board members.
That is terrible, I mean how hard is it to install some metal bollards or some other impediment to parking, I mean it really is disgraceful. People's 'parking entitlement' won't just go away magically, people will park where they shouldn't as long as they know they can get away with it.

That is terrible, I mean how hard is it to install some metal bollards or some other impediment to parking, I mean it really is disgraceful. People's 'parking entitlement' won't just go away magically, people will park where they shouldn't as long as they know they can get away with it.
Vincent Street should certainly be bollarded and the plane tree roots protected immediately, that’s a disgrace. As for St Pat’s I believe there are issues around legitimate vehicle access for some businesses in the square that need to be sorted before the illegal parking can be cleared out. And, no I’m not apologising for AT and Council inaction, they both deserve all the opprobrium they get for this mess.

21 - 30 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.