SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Super Moderator
11,285 Posts
that's it? one pic? :D
well you don't mention anything about the town, looks like an overgrown village to me, not a bad resting area while on that highway
what's with the recent surge of pro-Albanian attitude? :p

·
Banned
223 Posts
I never heared for this town! I know every town in every part of Serbia and Montenegro, and I never heared for "Suhareka"...is this original name of this place, or some new "albanized" name?

·
Banned
223 Posts
Ако ми вјерујеш нисам ни примјетио...само сам прелетио и контам нешто шиптарско :colgate:

·
Banned
223 Posts
But why did you write it together? Than it should be "Suha Reka" (or as Bosnian/Croatian/Montegerin Serbs would said "Suha Rijeka"! And we could use a map...is it located in Kosovo or Metohija?

·
Stop the World...
830 Posts
Pavle said:
But why did you write it together? Than it should be "Suha Reka" (or as Bosnian/Croatian/Montegerin Serbs would said "Suha Rijeka"! And we could use a map...is it located in Kosovo or Metohija?
Pan sur le bec du canard ! :nono:
Pajo, you're forgetting that Serbian is not a monolithic language, it has many dialects, one of them, pretty divergent, being the famous Torlacki or Prizrensko-Juznomoravski one, which has many archaisms and proper characterisitics making it looking closer to Macedonian or Bulgarian than to other Serbian dialects. Look at a Goranci site and you'll understand how different it is. As you can see on the map, it is spoken in southern and eastern parts of Kosovo. Suva Reka is in this very area, lying north of Prizren.
Suha Reka is its indigenous (Serbian) form and only what Kosovars did is to keep this old name rather than the newer, "northern serbian" form.
Some people won't like it for sure but the fact that Suva Reka's ethnic Albanians kept the original form of their place is a clue of their Slavic (not to say Serbian) origin, southern Metohija being an area were assimilation of Serbs was at its greatest extent. Here Serbs were first Islamicized (they were even families where only sons were muslims while daughters remained orthodox, until their wedding at least) than, finally, in a second time, as Muslims Slavs (Torbasi, Goranci etc...) Albanised. This explains too why so many (muslim, never catholic) Kosovars used to revere orthodox monasteries and monks, some customs are hard to get rid of. ;)
Interestingly enough, there's at least one more Suha Reka... in Bulgaria.

·
Incendia Astrum
971 Posts
I don't think I can judge historical events as I do believe I am not capable of doing this. I also believe our history is messed up a lot. The main problem with the South East Europe is that people walk looking back. We all have hard feelings for each other nations. Albanians and Slavs have lived together for centuries and there had been strong cultural influences both ways. I don't like when Albanians are refered as muslims. Albanians have turkish surnames as a consequence of being for a long time part of the ottoman empire. Both Albanians and Slavs can actually argue with the "albanialised slavs" and "slavilised albanians" cards but it is so foolish. I think in the end that has been enrichning our cultures a lot. On the other hand I really want to stress that while Albanians, both in Albania and Kosovo, share the same ethnical identity, when discussing Albanians in Kosovo within the serbo-albanian conflict wireframe, I would like them to be refered as Kosovars. This is to avoid confusion that there was actually any war between Serbia and Albania, and to avoid giving the people of Albania the image of people who burn churches and all other stuff involved in the conflict. I know that names for cities and towns are used often as arguments when trying to associate a city to a nation but this is becoming annoying. Albania (the Republic of) has no itentions of anexing or unifying itself with Kosovo, nor do its people. We would like though to have free trade and free movement with Serbia, Montenegro and Macedonia, which we have partly achieved together and Kosovo should never turn into a factor poisoning the progress we have made in the recent years.
So bringing history and topography on the table and argueing continously will not bring us anywhere. Lets talk about the cities. Lets discover each other and maybe try to turn down misconcepetions both ways.

·
Banned
1,203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Good post Illiricum
People have this crazy notion that Albania wants to add Kosovo and create a Greater Albania
To be honest in Albania people just want Kosovo's status resolved.They do not think of a Unification.
Albania is a peaceful country who has great relations with Macedonia , Montenego and Croatia
Greece is the only country who we dont get along with as we should but besides that we have played an extremely important role in stabilizing the Balkans.
Dont forget our government put in jail some nationalists a couple of years ago from Macedonia who wanted to create a conflict.
We have always respected our neighbours and do not in any way think of anexing Kosovo

1 - 11 of 11 Posts