SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there. I am very interested in seeing some pics of the replica Yuanmingyuan (not sure if that is how you spell it) in Zhuhai.

Has anyone been there? Would you say it's a beautiful well-done job or cheap and touristy?

I'm interested in China's restoration of historical architecture. Watching some shows on CCTV, I'm horrified at how hideous reconstructed temples are.

I watched one show where they bulldozed an entire old temple complex to replace it with a new one, and the detail was frightening. Buddha statues with goofy looking faces and tacky rainbow colored dragon columns that looks like it was painted by a 3rd grade class. Traditional looking exterior with a dull box-like interior with foam ceiling panels!! Was the roof bracketing just for show? :puke:

They are not following the original plans at all.

·
Registered
3,646 Posts
Firstly i've never heard of this replica in Zhuhai, maybe someone can post some pictures then i can give you my comments.

some historical restoration projects in China are horrible, but there are some good ones, for example the Leifeng Pagoda in Hangzhou.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts