Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On the Miami Dolphins Website it states that this major remodel will happen next month.

http://www.miamidolphins.com/

Modernization of Sun Life Stadium will begin as early as July 2014. Sun Life Stadium will be a first-class facility, which will bring Super Bowls, College Championships, international soccer and concerts to South Florida for decades to come.

New features will include:

Open air canopy to provide shade/cover

Brand new seats in the entire stadium

Completely renovated concourses and concessions,

Brand new suites

Several brand new/unique seating & club options for fans, businesses and families

4 new high-definition video boards in each corner of the stadium

The stadium will be modernized in two phases, in a manner that will not impact any football games. Many of the renovations will be done for the 2015 season and the remainder will be completed by the 2016 season.

·
Contents Under Pressure
9,623 Posts
Yup... we got started on our part last week....Removing three sheets of drywall. We're taking a break though until the end of the season to continue to remove the other 2 sheets.

http://www.thephinsider.com/2014/6/28/5852880/dolphins-begin-renovations-on-sun-life-stadium
Cool.

If there's ever any way to share some pics I'd love to see it but if not understood.

My favorite part of the stadium rehab is finally bringing in those sideline seats closer to the playing field. That has been a huge annoyance from Day One and it will really help create a better atmosphere.

·
Registered
756 Posts
With all those renovations what is the increase in the life expectancy of the stadium? 15 more years?

Reactions: ChuckScraperMiami#1

·
Contents Under Pressure
9,623 Posts
With all those renovations what is the increase in the life expectancy of the stadium? 15 more years?
Officialy, 30. At least based on the Dolphins locked into a lease extension that long because of the (desperately needed) renovation.

Realistically, shorter than that. Ross is ponying up 400-million plus into this (far more than the original cost of JRS) but even with all the new bells and whistles it won't equal the completely new stadiums put up in recent years...especially and obviously the one in Dallas that makes me both envious and want to gag.

A MUCH better stadium? Yes. State-of-the-Art? No.

I think it will be fine. I like the capacity being marginally reduced...I like the partial canopy saving fans from monsoons while also keeping the field itself open to heat/rain (a decided advantage when the Dolphins are good)...and I VERY much like bringing in those sidelines to make the place less cavernous and detached from the action.

Ideally, I wish we could replicate what Seattle has...and I don't just mean having the Super Bowl champs. THEIR stadium experience is something I'm totally jealous of...but better days ahead for the Dolphins. :cheers:

(but, yeah, this is the shit on so many levels)

·
Registered
3,436 Posts
Officialy, 30. At least based on the Dolphins locked into a lease extension that long because of the (desperately needed) renovation.

Realistically, shorter than that. Ross is ponying up 400-million plus into this (far more than the original cost of JRS) but even with all the new bells and whistles it won't equal the completely new stadiums put up in recent years...especially and obviously the one in Dallas that makes me both envious and want to gag.

A MUCH better stadium? Yes. State-of-the-Art? No.

I think it will be fine. I like the capacity being marginally reduced...I like the partial canopy saving fans from monsoons while also keeping the field itself open to heat/rain (a decided advantage when the Dolphins are good)...and I VERY much like bringing in those sidelines to make the place less cavernous and detached from the action.

Ideally, I wish we could replicate what Seattle has...and I don't just mean having the Super Bowl champs. THEIR stadium experience is something I'm totally jealous of...but better days ahead for the Dolphins. :cheers:

(but, yeah, this is the shit on so many levels)

Well....for that Seattle experience...we need a DOWNTOWN stadium!!!!

·
Registered
3,436 Posts
On the Miami Dolphins Website it states that this major remodel will happen next month.

http://www.miamidolphins.com/

Modernization of Sun Life Stadium will begin as early as July 2014. Sun Life Stadium will be a first-class facility, which will bring Super Bowls, College Championships, international soccer and concerts to South Florida for decades to come.

New features will include:

Open air canopy to provide shade/cover

Brand new seats in the entire stadium

Completely renovated concourses and concessions,

Brand new suites

Several brand new/unique seating & club options for fans, businesses and families

4 new high-definition video boards in each corner of the stadium

The stadium will be modernized in two phases, in a manner that will not impact any football games. Many of the renovations will be done for the 2015 season and the remainder will be completed by the 2016 season.
As usual...the Dolphins didn't show up!!!!!

·
Contents Under Pressure
9,623 Posts
Well....for that Seattle experience...we need a DOWNTOWN stadium!!!!
Well, that would have been great but with the renovation on the horizon it's no longer any kind of option (at least not for decades, anyway). But ideally, sure.

Honestly, though, I've never really had any issue with the location of JRS given the linear, spread-out nature of urban South Florida. For the tri-county as a whole, it's got pretty good accessibility. Not to mention the city of Miami never came up with any viable plan for Robbie to stay anyway. An Orange Bowl "renovation" would have only delayed the inevitable for a few years. They needed a new facility.

What I really never liked about JRS was how cavernous it was. Those sideline seats were (are) just WAAY too far from the field and it lent the place kind of an antiseptic and detached nature. Addressing that issue is easily my favorite part of the current modernization plan. And making the place a bit smaller overall is not a bad move, either. Bigger is not always better (although I'm sure Jerry Jones would disagree). :cheers:

·
Contents Under Pressure
9,623 Posts
^^Yeah, the upper deck corner sections are already being removed...this is where the giant video screens and support columns for the canopy will be.

I need to contact my old friends in Section 447 after the seating is reconfigured to see where they wind up. My hunch is that they'll likely want to stay together since some of them have been sitting together 20-years plus.

I'm actually entertaining the idea of getting season tickets again as I will likely be down even more frequently now because of business and (unfortunately) some family health issues. Probably would sell the ones I can't use. Not sure on that just yet, though.

There's actually a pretty cool time-lapse video on the Dolphins website showing the work done so far...an impressive amount so soon! :cheers:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts