SkyscraperCity Forum banner
1 - 20 of 815 Posts

·
23,551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
There have been quite a few posts appearing recently on other threads about "City Centre Residential/Housing Developments" and related issues, that are slightly off-topic on those other threads. So, it seems there is a need for these types of developments to have their own discussion thread.

Now, while any substantial new residential development would probably eventually result in it's construction being followed on its own 'Project Thread' in the normal way, until they reach that stage they could perhaps all be discussed here on this thread. Also, any issues around, or comments (such as what they are like to live in!) about existing City Centre residential apartments and other residential locations in the City Centre, can also be discussed on this thread.

Additionally, any interesting residential and Housing issues outside of the City Centre, that may impact on our Suburbs, should also be discussed on this thread . . .

·
23,551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
I'm sure I posted some photos of the interior of the Mowbray Apartments on here, ---can't remember which thread though, :nuts:---anyway, --from what I can remember, --they looked classy.

I think you may mean the ones you posted (one per post) at posts 105 and 106 of the "Photography Thread" . . .

The Mowbray Apartments,

This is part of the inside of Mowbray Apartments

Also, a view of the Mowbray Apartments, from over the Lake

AND ALSO . .

A different view of the old Post Office Apartments,

·
Registered
28,214 Posts
^^^^

Yeah your right, --there are some quality apartments, ----not sure if the old Water board building is part apartments and part Hotel, --but from photos I've seen the interior is fantastic.

·
Registered
37 Posts
There have been quite a few posts appearing recently on other threads about "City Centre Residential Developments" and related issues, that are slightly off-topic on those other threads.

So, it seems there is a need for these types of developments to have their own discussion thread.

Now, while any substantial new residential development would eventually result in it's construction being followed on its own 'Project Thread' in the normal way, until they reach that stage they could perhaps all be discussed here on this thread.

Also, any issues around, or comments on (such as what they are like to live in!) existing City Centre residential apartments and other residential locations in the City Centre, can also be discussed on this thread . . .

Spot on, thanks :)

Denm - Post Office looks great from the outside, but at the cost of interior layout IMO. I viewed an upper floor penthouse apartment in that building, and there were a few factors that put me off, other than the layout.

• Narrow and largely unusable balcony
  • No seperate kitchen
  • Overlooked by buildings in West Sunniside
My current apartment in River View is slightly smaller and older, however the view, privacy and purpose built layout more than makes up for it, as well as the guaranteed parking spaces.

The quality of the Post Office building is high, very high but the layout really put me off.

Did I mention that the layout wasn't to my liking? :lol:

·
Registered
28,214 Posts
There have been quite a few posts appearing recently on other threads about "City Centre Residential Developments" and related issues, that are slightly off-topic on those other threads.

So, it seems there is a need for these types of developments to have their own discussion thread.

Now, while any substantial new residential development would eventually result in it's construction being followed on its own 'Project Thread' in the normal way, until they reach that stage they could perhaps all be discussed here on this thread.

Also, any issues around, or comments on (such as what they are like to live in!) existing City Centre residential apartments and other residential locations in the City Centre, can also be discussed on this thread . . .

Good idea NH, ---this will help with --slight off topics as you pointed out, --cheers.

·
Registered
28,214 Posts

Denm - Post Office looks great from the outside, but at the cost of interior layout IMO. I viewed an upper floor penthouse apartment in that building, and there were a few factors that put me off, other than the layout.

• No seperate kitchen
My current apartment in River View is slightly smaller and older, however the view, privacy and purpose built layout more than makes up for it, as well as the guaranteed parking spaces.

The quality of the Post Office building is high, very high but the layout really put me off.

Yes I think you did mention the layout marra, ---:lol::lol: cheers.

·
Registered
352 Posts

• No seperate kitchen

I went to the opening day viewings for these when they were first done. Was generally impressed with things until I went into the penthouses you mention. Walked into the bedroom with a few other people and the woman showing us about, looked about a bit and then asked where the wardrobes go. The woman went a bit red and mumbled something about the other bedroom. 'So its a one bedroom flat then' I asked, she just turned and walked upstairs to the kitchen... :lol: I did like the older part though.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I went to the opening day viewings for these when they were first done. Was generally impressed with things until I went into the penthouses you mention. Walked into the bedroom with a few other people and the woman showing us about, looked about a bit and then asked where the wardrobes go. The woman went a bit red and mumbled something about the other bedroom. 'So its a one bedroom flat then' I asked, she just turned and walked upstairs to the kitchen... :lol: I did like the older part though.
It's right enough, the layout didn't flow enough for me, either.

For those who are interested, this is the interior/exterior of my building/ apartment. It may give you an insight as to what it's like to actually live here, as many people assume these new developments are all rabbit hutches. They're not.

If anyone is really interested I'll take some of the basement/lower ground floor parking area! :lol:

All of these photographs are my own work, hosted on Photobucket.

Firstly the exterior:

From the NGC roof

From Low Street

Communal stairwell.

Very well maintained and a credit to the management company that looks after the building.

Main balcony from Lounge

Second balcony from Master Bedroom

These are the main attraction for me living here, of course the interiors are up to a high standard, but they'd be nothing special without the views.

Interior:

Lounge/Dining area

A really good size, I think, for an apartment. Certainly more living space than the 3 bedroom local authority house I grew up in in Washington.

Kitchen:

Small, galley kitchen. The main attraction is that it's not part of the living space, which I really don't like. No window, though!

Master bedroom:

Great size for an apartment. The second bedroom (not pictured) is approx 3m square and the master is 5.5m (narrowing to 4.5m) by 3m

Bathroom and hallway

Apologies for the large image content, and hopefully this isn't too off topic, but I'd like to share the living experience I have in Sunderland City Centre.

I viewed lots of apartments before settling on this one, including Echo 24, Bonners Raff (really liked these ones, but were very expensive and not a great loation IMO), Old Post Office, and a multitude around Ashbrooke and Norfolk Street/Sunniside. Settled on River View as the views are superb, the flat more spacious than Echo, cheaper than Bonner's Raff, and guaranteed secure parking with remote control entry.

·
Registered
28,214 Posts
penthouse, ---did you get to look around the Hawksley House building on the corner of John Street,? ---I saw some photos of the interior, --and it looks fantastic.

·
Registered
37 Posts
That's one I didn't look at - mostly because I was of the understanding that they were all serviced apartments, I didn't realise until much later that they were available as standard lets.

Also had a look in North Haven, which is now looking very dated indeed.

·
Registered
28,214 Posts
That's one I didn't look at - mostly because I was of the understanding that they were all serviced apartments, I didn't realise until much later that they were available as standard lets.

Also had a look in North Haven, which is now looking very dated indeed.
Think the Hawksley House apartments will be pricey like, ---and I've never seen inside the North Haven properties, cheers.

1 - 20 of 815 Posts