SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sundsvall is a charming city of approx. 94,000 people in the kommun,in northern Sweden.
I did the mistake and did not stay there for the night and returned to Stockholm the same day. Most people i had asked about Sundsvall,they said it was rather boring and dull. Well,they were wrong.I found Sundsvall to be a great little city,great architecture(some buildings could definately be mistaken to be in Stockholm when looking just at the building)and very friendly people.
Personaly i found Sundsvall to be better than Karlstad(by the way,a thread for Alvesta,Karlstad and Växjö is coming soon as i have travelled recently to these cities also).
I apologise if some pics are not very good but bc of lack of time i was holding my laptop on one hand and the camera on the other and running around taking pics).I had only two hours for the pics.
I hope you will enjoy this thread,and remember if you do go to Sundsvall,do stay for the night,it worths it.

*some of the pics were taken early in the morning,before shops opened,thats why you cant see so many people in the streets

the train station,exterior view

the train station,view of the interior(roof)

railway tracks and view of a hotel on a hill

by the railway station there was a mc donalds restaurant that was desperately trying to attract customers

on my way from the train station to the city,i went through this small tunnel where there was music playing. It was pretty cool

next to this underground passage there was this office building

pics from the main pedestrian streets ,the square and surrounding areas.
the city has some sort of a boulevard ,called esplanade,it was really nice.
enjoy the very nice architecture of the buildings

inre hamn,an area undergoing development and reconstruction

views of the hills that surround Sundsvall,the cathedral and the river

Sundsvalls hospital is a huge building

well,thats all!
there were lots of other very nice buildings but my camera ran low on memory as i havent uploaded the pics from my previous trips.
i guess this could be a reason for me to visit Sundsvall again!:)

·
Iron horse rider dlx
4,278 Posts
I like how it's fairly compact because of the sea and the surrounding mountains. Of course it sprawls a bit like all other cities, but I got a feeling it's not so bad. Thank you for the photo tour sk.. I like it very much.

·
Banned
1,075 Posts
Sundsvall looks very beautiful! I hope to visit soon! :)

·
Banned
4,330 Posts
Very good pictures. Sundsvall looks really nice. :)

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
thank you all for your comments.
sundsvall was a very nice surprise for me.
i dare to say that sundsvall plays very cleverly with the human eye.
it has a very compact city center which gives the feeling of a bigger city,it has some big apartment blocks build on the hills(you can see some of them in the pics)which again give you the feeling of a big sprawling city and you can also see the oil refinery from far away which again gives the feeling of human activity till far away.
there is a motorway that goes through the city center and is always full of traffic.
i believe with some investment and some expansion of the uni the kommun will reach quite soon the 100+ k population

·
Registered
6,046 Posts
What a great phototour of an interesting place, especially like that Esplanade! ;D Thank you very much! And don't worry, pictures are great!;D Looking forward to seeing the other towns aswell=) 5 hours driving, that's all in an afternoon:D

1 - 13 of 13 Posts