47. Michigan
48. Vermont
49. Washington = 43
50. Oregon = 39
51. Alaska = 23

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
How do they even calculate this list? Some U.S. states are large & have different climates. For example Palm Springs & Crecent City have totally different climates & % of sunny days. I doubt Washington is that low because almost half the state is a freaking desert.

The Tri-Cities in Eastern Washington get over 300 sunny days a year & less than 10 inches of rain. Sequim in Western Washington on the Olympic Peninsula also has over 300 sunny days a year & less than 15 inches of rain, while Forks in the same county has over 230 cloudy days & over 130 inches of rain.

·
Banned
4,217 Posts
Florida is a sunshine state, but the rain and hurricane makes Florida not #1,

like Iowa having more sun than IL, when Southern IL is as south as Witcha Kansas. Isn't bogus that South Dakota is ranked 24, when its northerner than many other states in the south.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Azn_chi_boi said:
Iowa having more sun than IL, when Southern IL is as south as Witcha Kansas. Isn't bogus that South Dakota is ranked 24, when its northerner than many other states in the south.
Latitude has nothing to do with how many sunny days a place can receive.

·
Registered
765 Posts
hmmmmm. colorado is more sunnier than texas and florida? denver was pretty sunny when i visited because of its elevation, but not year round.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
From what it looks like, it's calculated in this way:

1. Cities record what percent of each day--from sunrise to sunset--is sunny. "Sunny" is defined as "clear sky conditions".
2. The cities in each state average their results to make a state figure.

The rankings cover a few years of data, so they're probably pretty accurate.

Here's a sample of how it's done, from 1998.

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
Charing Cross Bridge said:
From what it looks like, it's calculated in this way:

1. Cities record what percent of each day--from sunrise to sunset--is sunny. "Sunny" is defined as "clear sky conditions".
2. The cities in each state average their results to make a state figure.

The rankings cover a few years of data, so they're probably pretty accurate.

Here's a sample of how it's done, from 1998.

What crap. Not enough cities are included & the spatial distribution has no basis to it. The mostly unihabited rainiest place in the lower 48 is included in Washington's total, along with Seattle twice, & Spokane. How does that tell us anything? The whole entire dry part of the state is ignored.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Sounder said:
What crap. Not enough cities are included & the spatial distribution has no basis to it. The mostly unihabited rainiest place in the lower 48 is included in Washington's total, along with Seattle twice, & Spokane. How does that tell us anything? The whole entire dry part of the state is ignored.
Why do sparsely inhabited places even need to be included?

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
^ Don't ask me, you linked the list of weather stations. Washington had the four weather stations I mentioned above. The list is total garbage since the data input is worthless. Seattle gets counted twice, the rainforest once, & Spokane once while the whole rest of the state (including all of the sunny parts), where over 5,000,000 people live is ignored. Like I said above, no way Washington is one of the cloudiest states in the country since almost half the state is a sunny desert.

·
Banned
4,217 Posts
texasboy said:
hmmmmm. colorado is more sunnier than texas and florida? denver was pretty sunny when i visited because of its elevation, but not year round.
actually no, Colordo have the same exact rank as Texas.

·
Banned
100 Posts
Sounder said:
^ Don't ask me, you linked the list of weather stations. Washington had the four weather stations I mentioned above. The list is total garbage since the data input is worthless. Seattle gets counted twice, the rainforest once, & Spokane once while the whole rest of the state (including all of the sunny parts), where over 5,000,000 people live is ignored. Like I said above, no way Washington is one of the cloudiest states in the country since almost half the state is a sunny desert.

i take it you don't like your state's reputation as a rainy, cloudy haven. This list confirms what many assumed Washington to be. Rainy and cloudy, I don't see where the problem is. Can you prove that they ignored 5 million people? And if you can, you must be one of them.

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
KingShizzznit said:
i take it you don't like your state's reputation as a rainy, cloudy haven.
Because in many places it isn't.

This list confirms what many assumed Washington to be.
This list is crap. I just shot down its validity above.

Can you prove that they ignored 5 million people?
Click the link & you will see the 4 weather stations used: the rainforest, Seattle twice, & Spokane. Hardly an adequate or fair sample.

·
Registered
6,670 Posts
I would have thought Florida would be farther down the list. Yes its nice and sunny all winter but (especially in South Florida) it rains just about everyday in the summer. But i guess since it is sunny all morning before the rain starts in the afternoon, those would probably count as "Sunny Days".

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Since only select cities' "sunnyness" is averaged into the state total, the title "sunniest states" is misleading. But the select areas are also the most populous ones, so knowing how sunny those are gives you a good idea of what types of conditions most people in each state live under.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts