SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Percent of days that are sunny

1. Arizona = 81
2. New Mexico = 76
3. Hawaii = 74
4. California
5. Nevada
6. Colorado
6. Texas
8. Florida
9. Oklahoma
9. Wyoming
11. Kansas
11. Utah
13. Alabama
13. Arkansas
13. Louisiana
13. South Carolina
17. Georgia
17. Mississippi
17. Nebraska
17. North Carolina
21. Idaho
21. Maryland
21. Tennessee
24. Missouri
24. South Dakota
24. Virginia = 57
27. New Jersey = 56
28. Delaware = 55
28. District of Columbia
28. Iowa
28. Maine
28. Massachusetts
28. New Hampshire
28. North Dakota
28. Rhode Island
36. Illinois
36. Kentucky
38. Connecticut
38. Minnesota
38. New York
38. Wisconsin
42. Indiana
42. Montana
44. Pennsylvania
45. West Virginia
46. Ohio
47. Michigan
48. Vermont
49. Washington = 43
50. Oregon = 39
51. Alaska = 23
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,119 Posts
How do they even calculate this list? Some U.S. states are large & have different climates. For example Palm Springs & Crecent City have totally different climates & % of sunny days. I doubt Washington is that low because almost half the state is a freaking desert.

The Tri-Cities in Eastern Washington get over 300 sunny days a year & less than 10 inches of rain. Sequim in Western Washington on the Olympic Peninsula also has over 300 sunny days a year & less than 15 inches of rain, while Forks in the same county has over 230 cloudy days & over 130 inches of rain.

 

·
Banned
Joined
·
4,217 Posts
Florida is a sunshine state, but the rain and hurricane makes Florida not #1,

like Iowa having more sun than IL, when Southern IL is as south as Witcha Kansas. Isn't bogus that South Dakota is ranked 24, when its northerner than many other states in the south.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
352 Posts
Azn_chi_boi said:
Iowa having more sun than IL, when Southern IL is as south as Witcha Kansas. Isn't bogus that South Dakota is ranked 24, when its northerner than many other states in the south.
Latitude has nothing to do with how many sunny days a place can receive.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
765 Posts
hmmmmm. colorado is more sunnier than texas and florida? denver was pretty sunny when i visited because of its elevation, but not year round.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
From what it looks like, it's calculated in this way:

1. Cities record what percent of each day--from sunrise to sunset--is sunny. "Sunny" is defined as "clear sky conditions".
2. The cities in each state average their results to make a state figure.

The rankings cover a few years of data, so they're probably pretty accurate.

Here's a sample of how it's done, from 1998.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,119 Posts
Charing Cross Bridge said:
From what it looks like, it's calculated in this way:

1. Cities record what percent of each day--from sunrise to sunset--is sunny. "Sunny" is defined as "clear sky conditions".
2. The cities in each state average their results to make a state figure.

The rankings cover a few years of data, so they're probably pretty accurate.

Here's a sample of how it's done, from 1998.

What crap. Not enough cities are included & the spatial distribution has no basis to it. The mostly unihabited rainiest place in the lower 48 is included in Washington's total, along with Seattle twice, & Spokane. How does that tell us anything? The whole entire dry part of the state is ignored.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Sounder said:
What crap. Not enough cities are included & the spatial distribution has no basis to it. The mostly unihabited rainiest place in the lower 48 is included in Washington's total, along with Seattle twice, & Spokane. How does that tell us anything? The whole entire dry part of the state is ignored.
Why do sparsely inhabited places even need to be included?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,119 Posts
^ Don't ask me, you linked the list of weather stations. Washington had the four weather stations I mentioned above. The list is total garbage since the data input is worthless. Seattle gets counted twice, the rainforest once, & Spokane once while the whole rest of the state (including all of the sunny parts), where over 5,000,000 people live is ignored. Like I said above, no way Washington is one of the cloudiest states in the country since almost half the state is a sunny desert.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
4,217 Posts
texasboy said:
hmmmmm. colorado is more sunnier than texas and florida? denver was pretty sunny when i visited because of its elevation, but not year round.
actually no, Colordo have the same exact rank as Texas.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
100 Posts
Sounder said:
^ Don't ask me, you linked the list of weather stations. Washington had the four weather stations I mentioned above. The list is total garbage since the data input is worthless. Seattle gets counted twice, the rainforest once, & Spokane once while the whole rest of the state (including all of the sunny parts), where over 5,000,000 people live is ignored. Like I said above, no way Washington is one of the cloudiest states in the country since almost half the state is a sunny desert.

i take it you don't like your state's reputation as a rainy, cloudy haven. This list confirms what many assumed Washington to be. Rainy and cloudy, I don't see where the problem is. Can you prove that they ignored 5 million people? And if you can, you must be one of them.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,119 Posts
KingShizzznit said:
i take it you don't like your state's reputation as a rainy, cloudy haven.
Because in many places it isn't.

This list confirms what many assumed Washington to be.
This list is crap. I just shot down its validity above.

Can you prove that they ignored 5 million people?
Click the link & you will see the 4 weather stations used: the rainforest, Seattle twice, & Spokane. Hardly an adequate or fair sample.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,670 Posts
I would have thought Florida would be farther down the list. Yes its nice and sunny all winter but (especially in South Florida) it rains just about everyday in the summer. But i guess since it is sunny all morning before the rain starts in the afternoon, those would probably count as "Sunny Days".
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Since only select cities' "sunnyness" is averaged into the state total, the title "sunniest states" is misleading. But the select areas are also the most populous ones, so knowing how sunny those are gives you a good idea of what types of conditions most people in each state live under.
 
1 - 20 of 50 Posts
Top