L O S A N G E L E S
6,590 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
BIG GARDEN OF ALLAH MIXER FIRST COUNTY NIMBY KILLER
2.5 ACRES - 249 RENTALS - 110,000 SQ. FEET RETAIL - SUNSET AND CRESCENT

WEHOVILLE

NIMBYs will have a harder time sidelining a giant mixed-user planned at the​
former site of the Garden of Allah estate at Sunset and Crescent Heights now​
that the project is the first to have achieved the near impossible: it's the first​
project in LA County to be designated by the governor's office as a​
California Environmental Leadership Development Project.​

That means that any litigation​
against 8150 Sunset—which is nearly guaranteed, considering the size of the​
project and the general enthusiasm of Los Angeles NIMBYs—will be resolved in​
a timely manner, aka within nine months. Such a designation was only made​
possible recently, thanks to new state legislation that's so far been used only​
three other times: for the Apple campus in Cupertino and for solar projects in​
San Diego and Riverside Counties. ELD Projects have to create a boatload of jobs,​
be accessible to transit, and be built in a relatively environmentally-friendly way.

8150 Sunset, with 249 rentals and more than 110,000 square feet of retail on​
about 2.5 acres, still needs to complete an environmental impact report and​
obtain approvals from the city of LA (it's across the street from West​
Hollywood, which opposes the ELDP designation). Developer Townscape​
Partners announced they will incorporate "forward-thinking urban design​
planning principles combined with timeless, modern architecture" into the​
project and encourage walking by building broad walkways that lead into​
a central plaza.​
Neal Broverman​
CURBEDLA​

·
Silver Lake
5,451 Posts
I believe this is what you and "jcas" have been stomping for. I like it. I don't mind it. Just show me where the streetlife is at. (preposition-ending rant)

·
Registered
18,919 Posts
Actually, wasn't this same law used to ram Farmer's and Industry through without an opportunity to really vet the pro's and con's?

In any event, it's interesting to see a bill that allows huge developers to get a free pass if they meet rather vague guidelines now touted as "anti-NIMBY". Probably "pro bigger donations from the huge developers" would be closer.

The development itself is quite nice, but a bit suburban office park in look. I would doubt there is any meaningful change in street life. You drive into the parking structure and then drive out.

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
The development itself is quite nice, but a bit suburban office park in look. I would doubt there is any meaningful change in street life. You drive into the parking structure and then drive out.
If the retail component is large enough a draw, I can imagine those drivers becoming pedestrians as they cross the street to visit both this site and the Sunset Strip mall across the street. Maybe. Then again, the intersection is enormous and the existing retail center sort of turns its large, blank bum toward Crescent Heights. I wonder if they plan to reconfigure the intersection.

·
Registered
18,919 Posts
If the retail component is large enough a draw, I can imagine those drivers becoming pedestrians as they cross the street to visit both this site and the Sunset Strip mall across the street. Maybe. Then again, the intersection is enormous and the existing retail center sort of turns its large, blank bum toward Crescent Heights. I wonder if they plan to reconfigure the intersection.
All good points. Could happen. But there will need to be more changes in the 'hood and this is not particularly street friendly. Plazas are great for breaking up dense areas, but not so great in relatively less dense areas or with wide boulevards. This is a pretty common pattern, with very attractive buildings resulting, but without the number of attractions needed to keep any kind of pedestrian flow going.

Not that that is bad; you don't need to have pedestrians everywhere. If you are building density around transit nodes then the developments away from the nodes will be more car dependent. At least make it attractive and provide plenty of parking.

·
Globalizing LA
880 Posts
I believe this is what you and "jcas" have been stomping for. I like it. I don't mind it. Just show me where the streetlife is at. (preposition-ending rant)
Who is jcas? Jcastro?

Good point about asking where the streetlife is at? I think that's too premature to ask. Its really about how the community integrates such projects into the public realm. But with all the frickin NIMBYs bashing every perceived monstrosity, where can we really start? When everyone agrees?

·
L O S A N G E L E S
6,590 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Instead of putting in that "east" wing,
they could have elevated the tower and
it wouldn't have presented itself as much
of an obstruction for residences in the hills.

Still have a way to go with the city/county.

WEHOVILLE

·
Registered
18,919 Posts
I like this new design way better than the old one. It's more futuristic.
Agree. The old design wasn't bad, but in a city like LA where Modernism and just plain boxes are so prevalent (outside of DT, which was largely built earlier), some curves and motion are badly needed.

·
Registered
18,919 Posts
The original project was not very appealing. Not even the rendering is good. Not to talk about the project's name, simply ridiculous. This is not Jedda, its LA.
You may be right, but you're 100 years late. The Garden of Allah was a residential and hotel development from the early days of Hollywood. This development is on the same site.

Btw, LA (and all of the Southwest) is full of Mediterranean and middle eastern architecture and plants. Similar climates. Check out the Hotel Figueroa or Ennis House among many others.

By the same token, NY has lots of northern European architecture (Gothic revival, Georgian, etc.). Fits a cold climate better.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Garden_of_Allah_Hotel

·
Trust Me
270 Posts
You may be right, but you're 100 years late. The Garden of Allah was a residential and hotel development from the early days of Hollywood. This development is on the same site.

Btw, LA (and all of the Southwest) is full of Mediterranean and middle eastern architecture and plants. Similar climates. Check out the Hotel Figueroa or Ennis House among many others.

By the same token, NY has lots of northern European architecture (Gothic revival, Georgian, etc.). Fits a cold climate better.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Garden_of_Allah_Hotel
oops...you are right.

·
Registered
485 Posts
Committee Gives Preliminary Approval to Controversial Frank Gehry Project
It's been a rocky road towards approval for starchitect Frank Gehry's mixed-use project at 8150 Sunset Boulevard, but Los Angeles' Planning and Land Use Management Committee has finally given their OK for the development to proceed. Feedback from impassioned area politicians and the community has been fast and furious, so in response, developer Townscape Partners is reformulating the development ahead of this week's City Council session, which will consider the project in its revised form.

·
Registered
18,919 Posts
Like with the Reef, you wonder how controversial these projects really are. You can't listen to the 5 craziest people in a neighborhood and assume they stand for anything but their own craziness.

Traffic is already bad (as it is pretty much everywhere from DT to the ocean). I doubt this will substantially worsen things since it basically just substitutes residential for strip mall. And it improves the aesthetics by about a million percent.

And it's a Gehry. Not a joke, when he agrees to do a project in NY or London, I get calls or messages from locals sounding like they won the World Series or World Cup. The Times calls them masterpieces; people take pictures of them when they walk by. In Bilbao, they treat him like a god; they get emotional when they see him and try to touch him. And in LA we say, can't he make it shorter or not his best work or looks just like all his other stuff.

Oh, and cutting the height makes it less striking and flowing. This is a loss masquerading as a victory.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts