SkyscraperCity Forum banner
1 - 20 of 87 Posts

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A little late. But here to complete the 3 codes.

Waratahs, Reds and Brumbies all lost on the weekend to NZ teams....

A Perth team for the 2006 season! Great for the game.

My tips for this week 7:

Waratahs Vs Hurricanes from Wellington
Brumbies over the Highlanders from Dunedin
Stormers over the Reds from Cape Town
Crusaders over the Bulls from Pretoria
Chiefs over the Sharks from Hamilton
Blues by at least 30 over the Cats from North Harbour Stadium, Albany, Auckland

·
10,862 Posts
I was thinking of starting a thread like this, but didn't bother.

Hurricanes over Waratahs
Highlanders over Brumbies
Stormers over Reds
Crusaders over Bulls
Chiefs over Sharks
Blues over Cats

Hopefully another great weekend for the Kiwi teams. :)

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
^ A little harsh on the aussie teams....And no faith in the Reds. :)

Yeah a little surprised no-one opened a Super 12 thread>Super 14s next season.

I think Aussies should have 5 teams like NZ and add Victoria and Perth. But SA is getting another team! Not sure if a vic team could draw 20000, but they are Australia's sporting capital, so they liek to call themselves!

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
Give it 3-4 years and we could see a Victorian team. There is a large following down there, I think they could easily draw 20000. Their rugby league team draws about 12000 a week - rugby is much bigger than league. They fill the MCG for internationals.
In saying that, I'm glad the franchise went to Perth because it's a more traditional rugby heartland.

·
10,862 Posts
^
That is one of the most stupid posts I've ever read.

a.) There won't be a 5th Australian team for a loooong time (couldn't support it).

b.) They don't play rugby at the MCG...how could they fill it???

c.)Perth - "traditional rugby heartland"?!?!?! WTF??? Sydney and Brisbane are the centres for rugby in Australia. Perth only has the odd international there. Hardly the "heartland".

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
^
That is one of the most stupid posts I've ever read.

a.) Given the franchise for the fourth Australian team came down to a close battle between Perth and Melbourne - both of whom had huge corporate backing and had a case for sustainability, a fifth Australian team could come in sooner than you think.

b.) Several Rugby Union Internationals HAVE been played at the MCG. In 1997, Aus vs. NZ got 90,000 and in 1998, Aus vs. NZ got 75,000.

c.)Note the phrasing of my statement, "more traditional rugby heartland". 'More' is a relative term, in this case the comparison is being drawn to Melbourne. There is a stronger supporter base in Perth, especially at the grass roots level.

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Reds escaped with a bonus point, but lost 15-13 at cape Town. Meanwhile, crusaders are doing it tough, but they'l get over the line from Pretoria.

Let's hope the tahs win this arvo, or it would be 2 weeks in the Super 12 where no aussie team has registered a win!

·
Registered
14,567 Posts
The super 14 contract is for 5 years, meaning no change for 5 years. Also the aus super 12 teams couldnt cope with another team for at least 3 more years. The reds are already getting gutted by the Perth team, ACT have a team of aging stars with a steady mix of youth which could be lost west, NSW is a health mix but a few key players are like cannon, whittake and harrison are the drive behind the team. Lose a couple of these guys(already lost cannon) and its going to be a hard few years to come.

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
BrizzyChris said:
Shit, can't believe Crusaders lost. But at least the Hurricanes came through in the end!!

BrizzyChris - 5/6
Q-TIP - 3/6
Good tipping BrizzyChris! :)

The Perth Snatchers is a good name/logo for the club. :cheers:

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
^ Busy week

My tips for week 9:

Hurricanes over Highlanders from Wellington - should be close match
Crusaders over the Cats from Christchurch
Reds over the Sharks from Brisbane - BrissyChris, u going to watch?
Bulls over the Chiefs from Pretoria
Blues over the Stormers from CT

Waratahs & Brumbies have the bye

Where's our NZ forumers?

·
10,862 Posts
Probably won't be going to the game, unless I get free tickets. Won't be worth it. The other kiwis probably don't know this thread is here.

Hurricanes def. Highlanders
Crusaders def. Cats
Reds def. Sharks
Bulls def. Chiefs
Blues def. Stormers (could be very very close though)

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
^ Either Port Elizabeth based or Bloemfontein based. SA Rugby are leaving it very late though.

Teams from Cape Town, Kimberley and Northern Transvaal are bidding for Super 14. As are Stormers, Bulls, Sharks and Cats....although all teams (including existing ones) must bid for Super 14 team.

All existing teams, apart from the Sharks are expected to retain their Super 14 status.... :)

·
Watch my Chops
11,520 Posts
Western Force is the name for the WA team.

Sounds to NFL if you ask me.

1 - 20 of 87 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.