Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
£€$$ is more
1,898 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This being Skyscrapercity and all I thought I'd start up a little discussion about the possibility of huge skyscrapers in Glasgow.

So maybe a few points to consider:

What height would you like to see in Glasgow and why?

Would it be about just creating an icon or the first of more to come, bringing Glasgow in a new direction?

Where would it be best located?

What sort of activities could it contain and what could it actually bring to the people of Glasgow?

Looking forward to hear what you all have to say...

·
Registered
410 Posts
Heights in Glasgow are limited by the radar path from Glasgow Airport. Until those change, then Elphinstone Tower was as tall as anyone could build within the city centre. (Accepting that heights can increase the further from the airport but would you be able to build really high on the Goods yard site for example?)

·
5,957 Posts
Yeah momus is sadly right.

As much as I'd love to see something much taller than Elphinstone Place built in the city, I don't think I'd like it to be a a supertall (ala >1000ft/300m).

What I'd love to see is roughly a 700ft building built where the Marriot is now, so that we would have the proposed 30 storey hotel on Broomielaw followed by a 60 storey beast, backed up by 39 story Elphinstone and a couple of other 25 storey efforts dotted about. It'd make a lovely cluster, especially with the (slightly underwhelming) Cheapside towers on the other side of the M8..

·
Registered
989 Posts
i agree with the david. I think any tall buildings in Glasgow would look out of place and even damaging to the image of the city.

*A simple cluster of 30 something storey buildings around the Kingston Bridge

*Two 20 storey towers amidst the Tradeston redevelopment

*And its funny you mention the Goods Yard, I was just thinking how much it would open up the city centre if it expanded east with some towers at Collegelands (taller than what is proposed ala Quartermile, Edinburgh). it would make High Street a High Street once again and reconnect the East End. Although i doubt that is feasible.

If any of that is built i'd be very happy. speaking of which, those salmon-coloured refurbs of the Townhead flats are pretty impressive. It's like they just built four 25 storey skyscrapers in the city centre :)

·
Silent
2,306 Posts
David you are right i don't think much cityies in england and glasgow look good with supertall maybe a 44 max and near to each other like in cityies like Manchester they have quite tall building but too far apart glasgow has a small cluster not tall but

·
Azeri Dragon
6,403 Posts
I think building Supertalls in Glasgow's city centre will ruin the atmosphere...Glasgow should build Supertalls in other areas such as West End and etc.

·
£€$$ is more
1,898 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
There's a thread devoted to it: "Cadogan Square" The tower is residential and the block behind is Office, so it's really not all that significant, plus it looks a bit rubbish too.

·
control yourself
4,370 Posts
:lol:

Townhead, Cowcaddens and the south east portion of Maryhill would be the best places for talls with the possible inclusion of Anderston... though I'm still not entirely convinced....

I wouldn't preclude the Gorbals and Tradeston from talls either actually... though not 'supertalls', I don't think there's a warrant for them in Glasgow really

·
Registered
3,685 Posts
I think the Anderston area would look great with very tall buildings, even supertalls. A city like Glasgow could definitely handle them in terms of its level of urbanism. Either side of the Kingston Bridge and the riversides to the west of the bridge could easily take a cluster and it would fairly beef up the skyline. Australia has done just that with their biggest cities (Sydney, Melbourne and Brisbane) and the 'big city' feel to their CBD's is great

·
Registered
11,183 Posts
The Anderston Estate should be the next area of Glasgow to see major development in my opinion, outstanding location and a very considerable area in size, preferably a large scale speculative office scheme to be included as the IFSD is full now. I find it ludicrous the council are declaring it will be a residential zone.

·
£€$$ is more
1,898 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Well you gotta have people living there for the area to have some sort of 24 hour vibrance. A mixed use tower would be great with offices and residential in that area maybe even a hotel too. I'm thinking the Chicago Spire would do nicely ;)

·
Registered
11,183 Posts
I was making a reference to the fact the council have decided the redevelopment of the estate will exclude commercial developments - it will be a a residential only development, which given the location is laughable and a missed opportunity.

·
Registered
11,183 Posts
Surely the IFSD is not full as yet? I've seen a few 'to let' signs up there still
I was talking in terms of plots. Vacancy in the city centre office market is down to around 4% at the moment with the lack of grade A available, should ease over the next two years though.

1 - 20 of 58 Posts