SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 20 of 184 Posts

·
do me bad things
7,550 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone know of any developments in the ongoing Supertram development saga? I heard of lines going to:
Dore/Totley
Northern General Hospital
Royal Halamshire Hospital/Broomhill/Ranmoor/(Fulwood)
Rotherham Central/Rotherham Parkgate/Manvers
and recently, in this forum, Orgreave

Anyone got any info/timescales?

·
Registered
259 Posts
There is a scaled down version of the scheme currently with the dft. Only the Rotherham branch and a loop line to the Hallamshire is included. There was supposed to be a decision at the end of March.

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
Hmm, not liking the new Meadowhall tram (below), recently seen a blue and white tram with Doncaster Sheffield emblazoned all over it, wouldn't it be great if the tram network was extended to the airport, wishful thinking I know!

·
E = MC²
5,542 Posts
I think that the airport is a little too far for a tram link, especially as they are cracking on with the plans for the train station. A train from sheffield to the airport would be great and much quicker, and the rest of the route is already in place.

How much more accesible the airport will be with a direct rail station than so many other airports.

·
do me bad things
7,550 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
skyfitsboy said:
wouldn't it be great if the tram network was extended to the airport, wishful thinking I know!
Not too outlandish, if you look at the former proposals our to Manvers/Wath-upon-Deane/Parkgate. They're almost in Doncaster-land. Although, as below:

muddycoffee said:
I think that the airport is a little too far for a tram link, especially as they are cracking on with the plans for the train station. A train from sheffield to the airport would be great and much quicker, and the rest of the route is already in place.

How much more accesible the airport will be with a direct rail station than so many other airports.
Do you know if this is direct from Sheffield, or via Doncaster, or change at Doncaster? The former would be quicker, but so long as no change is needed to get there, we can reasononably call it "our" airport.

·
Registered
6,543 Posts
lewisskinner said:
Do you know if this is direct from Sheffield, or via Doncaster, or change at Doncaster? The former would be quicker, but so long as no change is needed to get there, we can reasononably call it "our" airport.
No news as to the route as yet, but I think it will almost certainly stop in Donny, Rotherham and Meadowhall. Just hoping that it will be direct, and be opened before global warming makes air travel obsolete :)

Check out the DSA thread for discussion on a possible alternative route via Gainsborough.

·
E = MC²
5,542 Posts
I agree,
I think there will be at least one dedicated train with a stop at Doncaster because it will have to use Doncaster to turn onto the local track which goes to the airport.

I suppose any stop at Rotherham or Meadowhall will depend on demand.

·
Unregistered User
4,129 Posts
lewisskinner said:
Not too outlandish, if you look at the former proposals our to Manvers/Wath-upon-Deane/Parkgate. They're almost in Doncaster-land. Although, as below:

Not really i live very close to Manvers and its about the same distance to the aiport as it is to Sheffield City Centre.

·
do me bad things
7,550 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
jozblade said:
Not really i live very close to Manvers and its about the same distance to the aiport as it is to Sheffield City Centre.
Well, it's still a fair distance away to be on a "Sheffield" tram network!

As a resident, how would you feel about a tram trundling your way?

·
Unregistered User
4,129 Posts
lewisskinner said:
Well, it's still a fair distance away to be on a "Sheffield" tram network!

As a resident, how would you feel about a tram trundling your way?
Absolutely fantastic idea. Would be great for the area in many ways.

Its sadly not comin this way on now though. Only going into the centre of Rotherham.

Dont think its going Wickersly way either as the snobs round there dont want the tram :bash:

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
The new look supertrams have grown on my lots over the past few weeks, they certainly brighten the city streets up!!

Still not keen on that Meadowhell tram though..

·
do me bad things
7,550 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
jozblade said:
Absolutely fantastic idea. Would be great for the area in many ways.
I thought most people were of that opinion

jozblade said:
Its sadly not comin this way on now though. Only going into the centre of Rotherham.
Idiots!

jozblade said:
Dont think its going Wickersly way either as the snobs round there dont want the tram :bash:
Likewise! Why would you not want a direct link into the centre of the area's main (only) city?

Incidentally, manchester's metro network heads into Bury, and there were plans to take it to Stockport. Sheffield Supertram into Rotherham/Chesterfield anyone ;). Hmmm... The Greater Sheffield Urban Area...

·
do me bad things
7,550 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Strictly, the Supertram does go into NE Derby for a short stretch, but I'm being pedantic.

If the proposed extensions into Dore/Totley go ahead, the way is paved for Chesterfield MBC to extend it if they wish (at their own cost of course), forging greater links with the region's big city. They've always been closer to Sheffield than Derby there anyway.

Anyway, counties these days are just ceremonial. If the tram can cross borough/city councils, it can cross counties. Manchester's metro goes to Bury, Newcastle's to Sunderland, West Midlands into Brimingham and Wolverhampton, why not Sheffield's into Rotherham/Doncaster/Chesterfield?

·
Registered
593 Posts
lewisskinner said:
Anyway, counties these days are just ceremonial. If the tram can cross borough/city councils, it can cross counties. Manchester's metro goes to Bury, Newcastle's to Sunderland, West Midlands into Brimingham and Wolverhampton, why not Sheffield's into Rotherham/Doncaster/Chesterfield?
Why would most of us (Sheffielders) want it to go outside the city?

Surely it would be better to open up more routes within the city itself.

P.S. I was in Manchester yesterday. Their trams are in dire need of a makeover!

1 - 20 of 184 Posts