Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 20 of 90 Posts

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I thought that a general surfing thread was needed. There are a couple of threads dedicated to Kelly Slater and or Layne Beachley.
There is a lot to be excited about when it comes to the state of surfing in Australia. We currently have 2 equal leaders on the pro circuit in both the mens and womens open.And today we won the overall team title for the junior world championships held in Portugal
It all looks good for the future and hopefully a Mens champion this year after a long wait post Occy

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
An extension to the Billabong Pro Tahiti waiting period has been granted by the ASP. A swell slated to hit Wednesday has prompted event officials to wait for better waves to run the remainder of the contest.

The two-foot conditions on tap today weren't going to cut it for the world's best surfers. Only seven heats of surfing remain before the Billabong Pro Tahiti crowns the 2007 champion... it could happen tomorrow, but it's looking like Wednesday afternoon will produce the goods we want to see the guys out there in.

Next call Monday morning at 7:00 local time!

Billabong Pro Tahiti Quarterfinal Match-Ups:
Heat 1: Joel Parkinson (AUS) vs. Andy Irons (HAW)
Heat 2: Damien Hobgood (USA) vs. Jeremy Flores (FRA)
Heat 3: Mick Fanning (AUS) vs. Luke Stedman (AUS)
Heat 4: Cory Lopez (USA) vs. Kai Otton (AUS)

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Current leaders in the Mens..

1 Mick Fanning(AUS) 1 3 - - - - - - - - 2076 $42000/$679435
1 Taj Burrow(AUS) 3 1 - - - - - - - - 2076 $42000/$851397
3 Bede Durbidge(AUS) 2 9 - - - - - - - - 1632 $24000/$255385
4 Kelly Slater(USA) 3 5 - - - - - - - - 1608 $21000/$1483005
5 Joel Parkinson(AUS) 5 5 - - - - - - - - 1464 $18000/$669075

Good opportunity for Mick Fanning or Joel Parkinson to consolidate their respective positions

·
Registered
77,934 Posts
im not much of a surfer but i do ride the racing maus every weekend. As im an active member of Umina surf club, its part of the bronze medal to qualify. I never used to be interetsed in surfing ect, but since ive moved to Central coast and live 3mins from beach its a must. I love catching the big waves and paddling/training across brisbane waters for sometimes 5km. really keeps you fit and great lifestyle.
you really appreciate the pro surfers big wave surfing. just crazy guys.
Australia is lucky to have great beaches and eqaully great surf riders. how good is fanning going atm.
at Umina we have a place called THE BOX and is voted in top 10 spots in Australia for surfing. When it goes off its brilliant. the BOX is a 1km section of coast at Umina beach which ferries use to go from ettalong to palm beach. When its big the constant waves keep surfers busy the whole day. They can basically ride them from start to finish which is about 500m-or 5-10mins. they just stay on the wave! its amazing to watch.ill post some photos when i get a chance.
read some of experiences and conditions.
link>
http://www.wannasurf.com/spot/Australia_Pacific/Australia_NSW/Central/box_head_-_umina/
i paddled through the box last sunday.lucky it was flat

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Good read Cul. thanks......
The Box sounds knarly and a big effort just to get out and back. That generally keeps the crowds down...a great spot.
The lastest rankings for the men. Mitch Fanning has increased his lead with a second in Tahiti

1 Mick Fanning(AUS) 1 3 2 - - - - - - - 3108 $60500/$697935
2 Taj Burrow(AUS) 3 1 9 - - - - - - - 2676 $48000/$857397
3 Damien Hobgood(USA) 17 5 1 - - - - - - - 2342 $43800/$657350
4 Joel Parkinson(AUS) 5 5 3 - - - - - - - 2340 $30500/$681575
5 Bede Durbidge(AUS) 2 9 9 - - - - - - - 2232 $30000/$261385
6 Kelly Slater(USA) 3 5 9 - - - - - - - 2208 $30000/$1492005
7 Andy Irons(HAW) 33 2 5 - - - - - - - 1989 $31200/$1254233

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Irons Defends Rip Curl Pro Search Title in Chile
ARICA, Chile (Thursday, June 28, 2007) – Defending Rip Curl Pro Search champion Andy Irons (HAW) found the form to grab another globe-shaped trophy with his win over Damien Hobgood (USA) in Arica, Chile today.

“They’re the best trophies – they’re epic,” Irons said. “They’re my favorite trophy and I’ve got one for the living room and one for the mantle now.”

The former 3X Foster’s ASP World Champion bested Hobgood 16.84 to 8.67 in the four foot (1.3 metre) waves off Ex Isla Alacran.

“It was a battle,” Irons said. “I was hitting the reef and getting worked, but I tried to play it smart and catch the inside waves. Damien was waiting for the sets and it was almost better to not have priority because I caught whatever came in. You can never count Damien out though; he has beaten me before in Tavarua so I knew I had my work cut out for me. With two minutes to go, I was still nervous.”

Irons held the heat lead throughout the 35-minute bout, but cemented it with a 9.17 late in the game.

“It was a set wave and kind of bumpy,” Irons said. “Damien was paddling out and I got in just underneath it. When I was coming out, I did an extra stall to make sure that I got behind the hook. I came out with a bit of emotion to show them I liked it and it paid off.

Irons jumped from 7th to 3rd on the Foster’s ASP World ratings today and is in a position to jump even higher after ratings are adjusted citing his last place finish in the first event of the year. Surfers drop their worst two results after event No. 8 of the 10-stop Foster’s ASP World Tour. The Rip Curl Pro Search Chile is Stop No. 4 of 10 on the often deemed ‘Dream Tour.’

“I didn’t go anywhere,” Irons said of his absence in the Top 3. “I was always right there in the World Title race. I just had one bad contest that I’m throwing away and I can’t wait. It’s game on.”

Rip Curl Pro Search Runner-up Damien Hobgood is also putting together a silent world title assault. After winning the last event on the calendar in Tahiti, he has moved to World No. 2 with his 2nd place finish today.

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Current Mens Rankings:

1 Mick Fanning(AUS) 1 3 2 3 - - - - - - 3984 $72500/$709935
2 Damien Hobgood(USA) 17 5 1 2 - - - - - - 3374 $61800/$675350
3 Andy Irons(HAW) 33 2 5 1 - - - - - - 3189 $61200/$1284233
4 Taj Burrow(AUS) 3 1 9 17 - - - - - - 3086 $52800/$862197
5 Joel Parkinson(AUS) 5 5 3 5 - - - - - - 3072 $39500/$690575
6 Kelly Slater(USA) 3 5 9 9 - - - - - - 2808 $36500/$1498505
7 Bede Durbidge(AUS) 2 9 9 33 - - - - - - 2457 $34200/$265585

·
Registered
77,934 Posts
thanks crane. that was a cool win by irons. only little surf but well done.
gee aussies have 4 in top 7.how good are we.
btw, went out to the Box last sunday morn and it was big. so many board riders out there. i was on my 11ft mau. such a rush. i caught a mountain about 4m high and stayed on it for 500m. im going again tomoorow morn. looks good today so should be up.
ccheers

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Cul, that's big at 4m and an impressive 500 metre ride. Good to see you are still out there. I'm tossing up about getting a mau. It's so hard trying to get onto waves with something shorter than a 7 footer..........

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Round 2 Billabong Pro Jeffreys Bay Results:
Heat 1: Shaun Payne (ZAF) 11.33 def. Damien Hobgood (USA) 10.50
Heat 2: Taj Burrow (AUS) 18.33 def. Damien Fahrenfort (ZAF) 12.50
Heat 3: Warwick Wright (ZAF) 15.06 def. Tom Whitaker (AUS) 10.83
Heat 4: Neco Padaratz (BRA) 15.26 def. Cory Lopez (USA) 13.17
Heat 5: Trent Munro (AUS) 11.67 def. Kai Otton (AUS) 11.00
Heat 6: Taylor Knox (USA) 14.44 def. Gabe Kling (USA) 9.73

Top seeds and former Billabong Pro Jeffreys Bay champions Joel Parkinson (AUS), Mick Fanning (AUS) and Andy Irons (USA) each advanced to Round 3

Current standings

1 Mick Fanning(AUS) 1 3 2 3 - - - - - - 3984 $72500/$709935
2 Damien Hobgood(USA) 17 5 1 2 - - - - - 3374 $61800/$675350
3 Andy Irons(HAW) 33 2 5 1 - - - - - - 3189 $61200/$1284233
4 Taj Burrow(AUS) 3 1 9 17 - - - - - - 3086 $52800/$862197
5 Joel Parkinson(AUS) 5 5 3 5 - - - - - 3072 $39500/$690575
6 Kelly Slater(USA) 3 5 9 9 - - - - - - 2808 $36500/$1498505

Kelly Slater with a cool $15m in career prize money

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The contest is off for the day. According to official Billabong Pro forecasters Surfline.com, a new swell looks like it will hit JBay on Wednesday, build throughout the day and stick around through Thursday morning. Only one full day of competition is needed to finish the event.

Another call on competition status will be made tomorrow at 7am local time.

Upcoming Round 3 Match-Ups:
Heat 15: Bede Durbidge (AUS) vs. Rodrigo Dornelles (BRA)
Heat 16: Bruce Irons (HAW) vs. Adriano de Souza (BRA)

Round 3 Results:
Heat 1: Joel Parkinson (AUS) 16.83 def. Trent Munro (AUS) 10.90
Heat 2: Taylor Knox (USA) 12.07 def. Ricky Basnett (ZAF) 11.83
Heat 3: Adrian Buchan (AUS) 12.50 def. Jeremy Flores (FRA) 9.00
Heat 4: Taj Burrow (AUS) 13.83 def. Neco Padaratz (BRA) 6.00
Heat 5: Danny Wills (AUS) 14.67 def. Royden Bryson (ZAF) 8.34
Heat 6: Travis Logie (ZAF) 14.33 def. Greg Emslie (ZAF) 10.90
Heat 7: Pancho Sullivan (HAW) 9.33 def. CJ Hobgood (USA) 6.66
Heat 8: Mick Fanning (AUS) 15.34 def. Shaun Payne (ZAF) 9.27
Heat 9: Andy Irons (USA) 12.84 vs. Warwick Wright (ZAF) 10.33
Heat 10: Frederick Patacchia (HAW) 11.50 def. Chris Ward (USA) 10.17
Heat 11: Bobby Martinez (USA) 15.84 def. Michael Lowe (AUS) 12.67
Heat 12: Dean Morrison (AUS) 15.34 def. Bernardo Miranda (BRA) 11.84
Heat 13: Kelly Slater (USA) 17.00; Luke Munro (AUS) 12.33
Heat 14: Luke Stedman (AUS) 12.50 def. Michael Campbell (AUS) 9.33

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
It was a shark... as one of the surfers competing was pretty shaken....

Anyhow..an Aussie wins the Billabong Pro Jeffreys Bay SA

Burrow Beats Slater to Win the Billabong Pro Jeffreys Bay
JEFFREYS BAY, South Africa (Saturday, July 21, 2007) – Australian Taj Burrow beat eight-time Foster’s ASP World Champion Kelly Slater (USA) to win the Billabong Pro Jeffreys Bay today. The victory is Burrow’s second on the 2007 Foster’s ASP World Tour and has moved him to World No. 2 on the ASP ratings.

"It feels amazing!” Burrow said. “I’m so stoked to have won two events. I’ve had so many bridesmaids over the last couple of years and to get this monkey off my back, it just feels really good!

Burrow overcame current ratings leader Mick Fanning (AUS) and World No. 5 Joel Parkinson (AUS) en route to his victory over Slater today.

“I had a pretty tough draw, but if you start getting hard guys early in you just gain momentum and confidence and everything,” Burrow said. “It was a pretty gnarly draw but it all ended up working pretty well!"

Burrow featured in the final at the Billabong Pro Jeffreys Bay last year but finished 2nd. His win today is his first at the venue.....

Foster’s ASP World Tour Ratings after the Billabong Pro Jeffreys Bay:
1. Mick Fanning (AUS) 4860 points
2. Taj Burrow (AUS) 4286 points
3. Andy Irons (HAW) 3921 points
4. Kelly Slater (USA) 3840 points
5. Joel Parkinson (AUS) 3804 points
6. Damien Hobgood (USA) 3599 points
7. Bede Durbidge (AUS) 3057 points
8. Daniel Wills (AUS) 2942 points
9. Dean Morrison (AUS) 2838 points
10. Travis Logie (ZAF) 2810 points

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The sixth event on the ASP tour for men has started in LOWER TRESTLES, California

Slater, Fanning and Flores Set the Pace at Boost Mobile Pro Presented by Hurley
LOWER TRESTLES, California (Sunday, Sept. 9, 2007) – Current ASP World No. 1 Mick Fanning (AUS) put on a convincing Round 1 performance in the Boost Mobile Pro presented by Hurley this morning, but the heat of the day belonged to reigning and eight-time Foster’s ASP World Champion Kelly Slater (USA), wildcard Dane Reynolds (USA) and World No. 21 Cory Lopez (USA).

·
Registered
77,934 Posts
ta for updates.
just on sharks. i was out with a dozen kids last week near the Box @ Umina and a little nipper said she saw a fin. she was shitting. we told her it was probably a bird or something. she saw it again. by now she was pannicking. i asked her where was she looking, so i checked it out and low and behold a big black fin come up belonging to a gorgeous Dolphin. and then we saw another. we watched in awe for 10mins. they always come in in winter months to get fish.

·
Registered
1,580 Posts
The box is real heavey iv surfed there got some of the funnest waves ever
its good to see aussie going good this year
i hope andy irons dosnt get another world title i dont like him
i think slater will go for it agean nexed year

for daily surf reports and cams all around australia go to
swellnet.com.au

·
Registered
77,934 Posts
^yes, when the Box goes off, its awesome. word gets around the coast and all of a sudden theres hundreds out there getting towed or grabbing lifts by boats out approx 1km out from umina. they surf the waves which sometimes take em for 1km ride.
i have swellnet on my 3phone.its great.

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Slater' win puts him in second, behind Aussie Mick Fanning...

Slater Wins Boost Mobile Pro and Breaks World Record
LOWER TRESTLES, California (Saturday, Sept. 15, 2007) – Reigning and 8X Foster’s ASP World Champion Kelly Slater (USA) has won his first event in over a year, moved to current World No. 2, and broke a world record after beating Pancho Sullivan (HAW) in the Final of the 2007 Boost Mobile Pro presented by Hurley today.

“It’ll be nice to go and sit down and think about this one,” Slater said. “This will be a neat little tournament for my career. I’m a little bummed because I didn’t feel like I capitalized on the waves I had, and it was frustrating, but just to get that win was important. We had similar conditions to 1990 when I won out here, so it was pretty magical.”

The victory marks Slater’s 34th ASP World Tour win and earns him the record for the most elite tour event victories in history. Former three-time ASP World Champion Tom Curren (USA) set the record with his 33rd event win 16 years ago. Slater tied Curren with his 2006 Bells Beach victory and, despite featuring in four finals in the 16 months since, hadn’t broken the record until today.

“Part of me is kind of sad,” Slater said. “I was hoping Tom and I would end up on the same number forever, but somebody is bound to come along and get to where I got. You’ve got to surf to the standards, but someone else is always going to be coming along that has the time and desire.”

Slater has been in the last four Boost Mobile Pro finals. He finished runner-up in 2004 and 2006, and claimed wins in 2007 and in 2005. His win today puts him 230 points behind Foster’s ASP ratings leader Mick Fanning (AUS) and has positioned him as a strong contender for the 2007 World Title.

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Fanning bounces back.....and stoked....

Fanning Claims Quiksilver Pro France Crown, Can Clinch Title Next Week
SEIGNOSSE, France (Saturday, Sept. 29, 2007) – Mick Fanning (AUS) the newly crowned 2007 Quiksilver Pro France Champion, is mathematically capable of clinching his maiden Foster’s ASP World Title in Mundaka, Spain next week. Fanning beat South Africa’s Greg Emslie, in three to five foot (one to one half meter) surf at Les Bourdaines this afternoon.

“I’m just so stoked to have another win under my belt,” Fanning, who also won the first event of the year on the Gold Coast of Australia, said. “I’m pumped! After the semis I really realized that you had to have the best waves to win, so that’s what I did. I just sat and waited for the whole time.”

Fanning caught four waves to Emslie’s 12, but garnered his winning heat total of 18.43 (out of 20.00) with his first two rides – the second of which he scored a near perfect 9.93 (out of 10) for.

“That wave just sat up really, really nicely and I was able to get some good turns off,” Fanning said. “I’m just stoked, that’s about all I can say.”

Fanning could clinch the title with a win in Spain should his closest threats, reigning World Champion Kelly Slater (USA) and Taj Burrow (AUS), not make it to the Semifinals. If he finishes 2nd in Spain, Slater and Burrow have to post a 5th place or better to keep their title aspirations alive.

1 - 20 of 90 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.