Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Banned
9,194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm surprised there is no discussion on the LA forum re: Disneyland's 50th anniversary.

I consider the even more than significant. Not only did DL give birth to the theme park concept, it is the most intimate, detailed, and humanly scaled park of the entire genre. Only this one had the mark of Walt Disney on it, has the history and Disney's concern for detail, has reinvented itself in so many ways as Disneyland.

The fact that the golden anniversary comes at a time when the park has morphed into a resort, including DCA and Downtown Disney only adds to the specialness of the occasion.

·
Registered
213 Posts
yeah.. it's amazing how much Disneyland has changed over the years.. I haven't been a lonnng while, like before California Adventure was even open.. :( I'm sure it's very different now.

·
Registered
514 Posts
I'm not one care that much for Disneyland either. Perhaps because its in our back yard, that locals take it for granted. I just don't see all of the fuss, but I will admit as a kid it was fun and entertaining. When I became a teenager, Six Flaggs(Magic Mountain) was the perferred theme park. Knotts came in second, and Disneyland was reserved for out of town guest who wanted to visit. I haven't been there since 1993, and even then I didn't want to go, I had guest from the mid-west.

·
Registered
514 Posts
BTW Downtown Disney isn't too bad, its rather entertaining since they have places like the ESPN Zone, and House Of Blues. But I rather go into LA, its still rather sterile.

·
The Picture Guy
613 Posts
ChrisLA said:
I'm not one care that much for Disneyland either. Perhaps because its in our back yard, that locals take it for granted. I just don't see all of the fuss, but I will admit as a kid it was fun and entertaining. When I became a teenager, Six Flaggs(Magic Mountain) was the perferred theme park. Knotts came in second, and Disneyland was reserved for out of town guest who wanted to visit. I haven't been there since 1993, and even then I didn't want to go, I had guest from the mid-west.
I can't believe you haven't been to Disneyland since 1993, and you have been living in LA all this time. Which means you must not have ridden the Indiana Jones Adventure in DL which opened in 1995. It is the greatest ride ever created and it set the benchmark for all other theme park operators. The Indiana Jones Adventure ride alone is worth the entrance price. The Fantasmic night time show is also the most amazing show ever conceived (by anybody) it includes lasers, fires, fireworks, images projected on a water screen, tons of ships and boats going across the river, and a surprise ending (very surprising). The show is on twice nightly and the applause from the audience usually last one minute even though it has been played for at least 10 years.

Why not take this great opportunity to visit Disneyland during their 50th Anniversary Celebration this year. Visit DL after July to try the new Space Mountain. The tracks are completely rebuilt, and the special effects will be different during the day time (Space Mountain) and night time (Rock it Mountain)!

·
Tastemaker Extraordinare
308 Posts
Walt Disney, another Midwesterner who moved to LA and find fame and fortune in this sun-blessed land. And now he has given back to this land where the people are sun-blessed and serendipitous by building us what is quickly becoming the most well known icon of LA, the Disney Hall, America's greatest architecture in decades. Every wants their products associated with the mystery, intrigue, glow and warmth of LA.

Thanks Walt! for two icons. Disney land and Disney hall

·
Registered
153 Posts
I think Disneyland is a lot of fun (heck, I even like California Adventure). However, I might think that because I usually go with my girlfriend. It seems like the kind of place that wouldn't be as fun alone or with my guy friends like Knotts or Magic Mountain.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I wouldn't be the first to gush about Disneyland, but I went yesterday and stayed for the 50th anniversary fireworks show and I have to say it was the best display I have EVER seen. I don't wanna ruin the fun for anyone planning to see it, but I'll just say that it was truly inventive and made me remember all the things I love about Disneyland.

On another note....

Disneyland is NOT "the Happiest Place on Earth." Sorry, false advertising. Just yesterday I got into a verbal fight with some lady from Wisconsin because she thought I hadn't waited in line and was cutting. She hadn't seen the fact that my friends and I had waited in line, gotten to the ticket booth, only to discover that they wouldn't give us our So Cal Resident discounts (not much of a discount, by the way) unless one of us had our Cali IDs. None of us did (of course), and I had to ride the tram all the way back to the monstrosity of a parking lot just to get my wife's ID. The ticket cashier allowed us to go immediately to her window once I came back 30 minutes later.

I seem to ALWAYS get into fights at Disneyland...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts