Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
889 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Here is an excerpt from A world class land transport system: white paper, published by the Singapore's Land Transport Authority in 1996.

We are now seriously studying the feasibility of building SURS. SURS promises the equivalent of 40% more road capacity within the city. With SURS, motorists can enjoy the same average travel speed with 40% more traffic. In addition, much of the current city-bound traffic can travel uninterrupted and by-pass some busy streets and intersections.

SURS will compromise two concentric rings of underground roads each roughly 15km in length and 2 to 4 lanes wide (equivalent to 84 lane-km). We can have 8 interchanges and 33 entrances and exits to allow for easy connection from surface roads. SURS is expected to encircle the city centre and run through Marina South to serve the extended CBD. Because of its complexity, SURS will have to be built in phases over a period of at least 15 years.

The capital cost is estimated at $4.8 billion, almost the cost of NEL. Operating cost is roughly $80 million per year. If the project has to break even on the basis of usage charges alone, the fee may have to be as high as $30 per pass. This would be prohibitive. However, the additional road capacity provided by SURS should enable us to increase the vehicle population significantly.

The tax and COE revenues from these additional vehicles will be substantial. We should take them into account as benefits resulting from SURS, rather than try to recover the entire cost of the project through usage charges. Usage charges will still be necessary, but we can then set them much lower. The LTA will evaluate the SURS project very carefully, from an overall national point of view, before making a decision.
Furthermore, here's a short excerpt from the LT Master Plan published in 2008.

Another development that LTA is looking at is the Singapore Underground Road System (SURS). This comprises two concentric rings of underground tunnel each of about 15km in length. It encircles the city centre where most of the commercial activities are concentrated, and directly serves the Marina Bay area. Based on expected developments in the Central Area, SURS will likely be needed in the longer term, beyond 2020. LTA will monitor the development of the Central Area and review SURS’ implementation accordingly.
Here are some images scanned from the White Paper.

Highlighted in light green is the SURS alignment.

The main possible alignment of SURS.

Other possible alignments.

Artist's renders of how the entrances/exits might look like, which is said to look like CTE tunnels' entrances/exits.

Clues of SURS alighment from other sources.

From the Marina South Residential Competition back in 2006/2007.

My best guess of the SURS alignment from the 2001 Concept Plan. Red lines are road that are not on the Mighty Minds' 2010 Street Directory. Orange are possible SURS alignment, but could also be existing roads in the city. My best guess seems to follow closely to the alignment in light green on the first image.

List of other evidences found by members of our community:

Newton Downtown Line Station and the SURS and its corresponding diagram
SURS provision between North-East Line Outram Park Station and Chinatown Station

Are there any other evidences of the SURS or possible alignment? Will the SURS be most likely to be built, or will never go past the concept stages? Or will it just merge into future underground road projects such as North-South Expressway?

·
Registered
4,343 Posts
My guess is that the alignments brought up in the SURS concept would be used for possible alignments in other road projects such as NSE. Clearly the portion connecting to the Benjamin Sheares bridge on ECP from Novena station is being considered thoroughly by LTA for the NSE alignment. The purpose of the part near the Barrage seems to fulfilled by the MCE currently.

I'm also guessing that any connections if built between the expressways may be named something else, just like how the planned Marina Line is now the Circle Line.

Also, its possible for rail lines to have branches, why not expressways? So parts of the SURS alignment could be built to a future or existing expressway and be considered part of that expressway.

·
Registered
20 Posts
That's for DTL2, although it could be for North-South Expressway. I don't think SURS will be that fast.
It can't be for DTL2 as they are on the wrong side of the road. Unless, they are looking at a MRT exit on Dunearn Road, which is highly unlikely as there is the canal and provision for SURS entry ramp.

I live in Newton One, where SLA has a covenant in the title to allow for LTA to dig up my tennis court for the purpose of construction of the SURS entry ramp tunnel by "cut and cover" method

·
Registered
344 Posts
So the SURS isn't an expressway... So technically, there may be traffic lights?
There wouldn't really be a need to have traffic lights unless there are intersections. Traffic lights before entrances are honestly a little redundant (unless there's another traffic light on the expressway to stop traffic and allow more to enter, which could cause bad traffic jams).

·
Whoop
1,884 Posts
Aranho:
your fourth picture shows a tunnel starting from bukit timah road outside barker campus, its kind of cool yet hard to believe 2 tunnel entrances over there. well, both of us should be familiar with the terrain over there, and theres clearly no space to dig out anything (which is probably why they didn't add balmoral to one of the DTL2 stations) the area is full of pipes and canals too. There could be an opening on the dunearn road side at the empty carpark at the canal bridge junction. On the other hand for bukit timah Road, there is some space infront of the overhead bridge too but they're gonna have to relocate the POB.

·
5,232 Posts

·
Registered
4,343 Posts
Perhaps provisions in NSE for future connections to SURS just like how they have provisions for future rail line connections? :) That would make construction easier in time to come when SURS is implemented perhaps.

·
Registered
889 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Aranho:
your fourth picture shows a tunnel starting from bukit timah road outside barker campus, its kind of cool yet hard to believe 2 tunnel entrances over there. well, both of us should be familiar with the terrain over there, and theres clearly no space to dig out anything (which is probably why they didn't add balmoral to one of the DTL2 stations) the area is full of pipes and canals too. There could be an opening on the dunearn road side at the empty carpark at the canal bridge junction. On the other hand for bukit timah Road, there is some space infront of the overhead bridge too but they're gonna have to relocate the POB.
Of course it's hard to believe but it's possible. Having an entrance/exit there (before Newton Circus) will probably ease the traffic load of the slip road beside the Newton Flyover. Here's a quick illustration to see what I mean (just ignore the dots).
..... ____________ To SURS
___/........_______ To Newton Circus via slip road
________/_______ To Newton Flyover

But after all, that 4th pic is one of the three possible alignments back then. No concrete plan back then.

·
Banned
7,907 Posts
Interesting that there is soil investigations going on for the SURS, but then again, seeing that the SURS proposal follows the TSL pretty closely, especially the southern loop, I guess it's best to be prepared.

I think it's going to be an exciting project, and one to watch in the coming years.

·
Registered
4,612 Posts
So the SURS isn't an expressway... So technically, there may be traffic lights?
There are more requirements to qualify for expressway status than only signal-free. For example, to qualify as an expressway, there are typically minimum turn radii and maximum slope gradients. I expect that SURS will be signal-free, but probably will not meet some other requirements to be classified as an expressway.

·
Whoop
1,884 Posts
There are more requirements to qualify for expressway status than only signal-free. For example, to qualify as an expressway, there are typically minimum turn radii and maximum slope gradients. I expect that SURS will be signal-free, but probably will not meet some other requirements to be classified as an expressway.
Maybe just something like the ORRS?

1 - 20 of 32 Posts