SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
skyscraper connoisseur
6,206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
http://smh.com.au/news/National/Aussies-environmentally-conscious-poll/2006/04/22/1145344314105.html

Australians get top marks for recycling and their concern over the country's water crisis, but need to think more about nuclear energy, a new international poll has found.

The survey, conducted by market intelligence solutions provider Global Market Insite Inc (GMIC) compared the environmental attitudes of 9,000 people from nine countries - the UK, France, Germany, USA, Russia, Canada, Brazil, China and Australia.

The poll, which coincides with International Earth Day, revealed that 91 per cent of Aussies are worried about the future of the environment, slightly ahead of the international average of 90.9 per cent.

Australians are also the most keen recyclers of all the countries, with 89 per cent of Australians recycling at home on a regular basis, compared to the average of 68 per cent.

Aussies felt the most significant issue affecting the country was its water crisis, the research also found, with 84 per cent saying they believed the issue was top priority.

This was followed by pollution (59.9 per cent), sustainable energy supply (55.7 per cent), the Greenhouse Effect (52.9 per cent) and nuclear energy (22.9 per cent).

Planet Ark founder and managing director Jon Dee said the survey was significant as it was the first time that Australians environmental attitudes had been directly compared with other countries.

"When we make it easy for people to do the right thing environmentally, Australians respond incredibly well," he said.

"The fact that we lead in recycling in participation terms reflects very well on Australia."

But he pointed out that Australians were showing the same fears as other countries such as Germany, France and Russia who were more proactive.

"Germany, by far, environmentally leads the way in a whole number of areas and yet so many of the concerns that the Australians showed were very similar to those expressed by the Germans," Mr Dee said.

"And the German government has been a lot more proactive in respecting the wishes of the German population and their voters."

He also pointed out that Australia came third, behind only Germany and Brazil, in their concerns over saving rainforests.

"Yet we are still logging our rainforests here in Australia," Mr Dee said.

"It's a very bizarre situation to find ourselves in."

He said it was interesting that 20 years after Chernobyl and with a global coordinated attempt by the nuclear energy industry to put the issue back on the agenda, it was the lowest priority for Australians.
-------------

Hmm....do you really think average Aussies are environmentally conscious? Are politicians too displaced from what Aussies are yelling about?

·
Registered
1,965 Posts
i think we like to say we are
but when it comes down to it - we couldnt be bothered to incur the costs associated with being environmental conscious

·
Premium Member
9,525 Posts
We are pretty good, the Germans are excellent.

The poms are shocking, they just throw all rubbish in together. They do have things like bottle bins, but they are like life-line clothing bins here, you have to go to them, and very few people do.

The office I worked at was terrible for throwing away paper, it was me who got them to recycle it, and people had little idea of why I was bothering. They were always just throwing paper away into the normal rubbish bins, despite the paper bins being in the same room.

·
Banned
Tremendous
8,579 Posts
I think we do OK and definitely better than the poms thats for sure. Think we are getting better but there is still a long way to go and slowly more and more people will be concsious of it.

Ireland charge for plasitc shopping bags.

Munichs escalators are activated by sensors so when they are not needed they shut down and save power.

Theres always a bit more we can do to help.

·
Registered
296 Posts
lmao 9000 people.. what BULLSHIT! they couldve asked aussie hippies ffs, breathe the air from geneva/stockholm/zurich/barcelona to something like sydney/paris/london and note the difference

·
Premium Member
9,525 Posts
cowface said:
We still have a government that likes to think global warming isn't a threat to our future living...
No, we have a government that doesn't want to sign us up to a useless treaty that will do nothing except force manufactoring to spend more here, whilst China, India, etc are free to pump as much pollution as they wish.

·
skyscraper connoisseur
6,206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
vishalt said:
lmao 9000 people.. what BULLSHIT! they couldve asked aussie hippies ffs, breathe the air from geneva/stockholm/zurich/barcelona to something like sydney/paris/london and note the difference
Then imagine the logistical problem in aquiring 100,000 people for every major city/countries. Hmm...

I can imagine that there will be a control variable in acceessing these surveys.

·
Яandwicked
691 Posts
vishalt said:
That's how surveys work. They poll a small number of people to get a representative sample of the larger population.

·
Registered
3,813 Posts
I work for the government in Sustainability. I look after those who are building new homes and have to comply with state for water and energy effieciency, most of those I speak with are generally happy with meeting this and know why they have to do it. The challenge at the moment is convincing people to double glaze their homes, it is not compulsory but benefits the overall thermal comfort of the home.

As with the Brits and being one myself, recycling is very difficult and is not embraced by many local councils, some London Borough's provide some bins for recycling but for the majority of the country they have to travel to supermarkets and council yards where recycling bins are available.
The city of Cardiff (Wales) has been doing home recycling of paper for years and is running well, but for glass and plastic or for even harder items i.e batteries, ink cartridges etc then forget it!

·
Watch my Chops
6,034 Posts
The building industry could be doing better your average house is still a usless hot box and there needs to be AS reforms to really shake it up it's the only thing they listen to, as for double glazzing if we are struggling to do that on windows we are fuqed.

Australians care alot. But you already know what i am going to say.
We do Sweet F All(rich coming from me though).

1 - 11 of 11 Posts