Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 20 of 427 Posts

·
Premium Member
79,203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Another survey, take it or leave it; Toronto tied for tenth most influential city in the world:
http://www.forbes.com/sites/joelkotkin/2014/08/14/the-most-influential-cities-in-the-world/

The World's Most Influential Cities

In the past century, the greatest global cities were generally the largest and centers of the world’s great empires: London, Paris, New York and Tokyo. Today size is not so important: Of the world’s 10 most populous cities, only Tokyo, New York and Beijing are in the top 10 of our ranking of the world’s most important cities. Instead, what matters today is influence.....

Other North American cities with a growing global footprint include 10th ranked Toronto, tied with Los Angeles and Bay Area. Toronto, as the economic capital of Canada, has becomes a focus for international investment into that stable and resource rich country. It is also among the most diverse cities on the planet — 46 % of its population is foreign born

read it all here:
http://www.forbes.com/sites/joelkotkin/2014/08/14/the-most-influential-cities-in-the-world/

·
Premium Member
79,203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Here is the list; it is a photographic slide presentation, and is unclear which city is # 9
http://www.forbes.com/pictures/edgl45ghmd/introduction-14/

1) London
2) New York
3) Paris
4) Singapore
5) Tokyo
6) Hong Kong
7) Dubai
8) TIE Beijing
8) TIE-Sydney
9)?
10) TIE - Los Angeles
10) TIE - San Francisco Bay
10) TIE - Toronto

·
Premium Member
79,203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
And while we are at it:
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news...and-neck-in-top-city-ranking/article20106379/

Vancouver, Toronto and Calgary neck-and-neck in 'liveability' ranking
London — Reuters
Published Tuesday, Aug. 19 2014, 7:05 AM EDT
Last updated Tuesday, Aug. 19 2014, 7:19 AM EDT

Melbourne tops the ranking as the world’s most pleasant city to live in for the fourth year running, but an Economist Intelligence Unit poll also finds that turmoil in Ukraine and the Middle East have pushed other cities down the list.

Vienna, Vancouver, Toronto and Calgary captured 2nd, 3rd and 4th and 5th places in the list of 140 cities released on Tuesday. Bottom was Damascus, capital of war-torn Syria, while just above it in ascending order were Dhaka in Bangladesh, Port Moresby in Papua New Guinea and Lagos, Nigeria.......

read it all here:
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news...and-neck-in-top-city-ranking/article20106379/

·
Indie Bean
2,649 Posts
Here is the list; it is a photographic slide presentation, and is unclear which city is # 9
http://www.forbes.com/pictures/edgl45ghmd/introduction-14/

1) London
2) New York
3) Paris
4) Singapore
5) Tokyo
6) Hong Kong
7) Dubai
8) TIE Beijing
8) TIE-Sydney
9)?
10) TIE - Los Angeles
10) TIE - San Francisco Bay
10) TIE - Toronto

When you have a tie for 8th, you skip 9th. With three tied for 10th, the next one will be 13th.

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
What's interesting, is what I gathered from the Forbes list is that it basically says London and New York are the most influential mainly because they just always have been. Not saying they aren't but it kind of seems lazy...

So regardless of whether Toronto is 10th, 13th, 18th, 7th, or 15th, year after year, we should be reminded of how others see this city and learn to embrace what we so very clearly do well and stand out at, and strive to improve on things that will make us even better.

·
39,917 Posts

·
Registered
4,497 Posts
Are these the only 3 Canadian cities included in the study. I suspect so as Ottawa, Edmonton, and a number of smaller Canadian cities would surely have scored very well.
Edmonton? My brother lives there and calls that city a "Hell Hole". (his words, not mine) My brother can't wait to get back to Toronto. He only stays in Edmonton for the $$$$! He's making more than double the salary he was making in Toronto but he is so unhappy being there.

·
39,917 Posts
Edmonton? My brother lives there and calls that city a "Hell Hole". (his words, not mine) My brother can't wait to get back to Toronto. He only stays in Edmonton for the $$$$! He's making more than double the salary he was making in Toronto but he is so unhappy being there.
And that your brother doesn't like it proves what exactly? Why would Edmonton be less livable than Calgary? They don't get chinooks, but beyond that?

·
Registered
4,497 Posts
I guess the point is, that a livability scale can make a place seem great on paper but the reality of living there can be quite different. Take a walk around downtown Edmonton or just about anywhere in the city and tell me how it compares to any of the nicer (pedestrian friendly) cities in North America.

There is literally only 1 decent street to walk on, that has any interest ay all. (or a good vibe) You have that or the monster mall and that's about it. The city is basically one big, ugly suburb that is very badly planned. The weather is also rather brutal, as are the flies & mosquitos. I hear from my brother on a daily basis how hard it is to live there. The only people who seem to like the city, are the people who were born there and have never traveled anywhere else. And there seems to be a lot of those people. People who go to work there from other places, almost universally hate the place and can't wait to make their money and get out. As a place to live, I think it's pretty bad, so you can't give much validity to those studies who use certain criteria to rank a city.

·
Premium Member
79,203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Again, KPMG has ranked Canada first in the world for general tax competitiveness, and Toronto, Vancouver and Montreal are the most tax competitive among 51 major international cities:
http://www.kpmg.com/ca/en/services/tax/focus-on-tax/pages/default.aspx

Top Highlights

For the second time, Canada ranked first among the 10 countries compared, with total tax costs 46.4% lower than the US
Total Tax Index (TTI) rankings of countries in 2014 are broadly consistent with 2012 rankings – the UK moved ahead of Mexico, and Australia ahead of Germany
Japan, Italy and France have seen significant improvements in their TTI scores
Toronto, Vancouver and Montreal are the most tax competitive among 51 major international cities

read it all here:
http://www.kpmg.com/ca/en/services/tax/focus-on-tax/pages/default.aspx

·
39,917 Posts
Looks like our competitive corporate landscape is starting to pay dividends. For decades, Canadian firms that left Canada for more business friendly jurisdictions in the US. We've lost so many head offices (and all the high paying jobs that go with it) to that country over the last 20 years I've lost count.

Now Burger King wants to re-incorporate in Canada from the US to save on taxes. It's a business decision despite Obama branding it 'corporate dissertion'. That a big iconic brand like that sees Canada as a place it wants to be speaks volumes. Perhaps we can claw back some of our losses over the decades by attracting some US firms here.

·
39,917 Posts
I guess the point is, that a livability scale can make a place seem great on paper but the reality of living there can be quite different. Take a walk around downtown Edmonton or just about anywhere in the city and tell me how it compares to any of the nicer (pedestrian friendly) cities in North America.

There is literally only 1 decent street to walk on, that has any interest ay all. (or a good vibe) You have that or the monster mall and that's about it. The city is basically one big, ugly suburb that is very badly planned. The weather is also rather brutal, as are the flies & mosquitos. I hear from my brother on a daily basis how hard it is to live there. The only people who seem to like the city, are the people who were born there and have never traveled anywhere else. And there seems to be a lot of those people. People who go to work there from other places, almost universally hate the place and can't wait to make their money and get out. As a place to live, I think it's pretty bad, so you can't give much validity to those studies who use certain criteria to rank a city.
People prioritize different things and this is a livability study. The things you're mentioning rank as just one of hundreds of considerations that go into these rankings. Cost of housing, access to health care, prices of goods and services, crime, air quality, and a hundred other things like that are taken into consideration. Focusing in on a few cosmetic things that bother us doesn't give an fair portrayal of livability.

A city can be pedestrian friendly (London), but what good is it if you can't afford to do anything and you go on a 4 year waiting list for life saving surgery only to die waiting? You're focusing on things on the surface without giving any value to all the important things that effect regular people from day to day.

London is far nicer than Edmonton as a tourist, but if I had to live in one for 20 years earning a regular salary I'd likely pick Edmonton. There's a reason Londoners (I'm one of them) leave London by the tens of thousands every year. After a while, you just can't do it any more. Edmonton may be uglier with fewer entertainment options, but when it comes to the basics it scores very well. I'd rather have a high quality of life in ugly surroundings, than a poor quality of life surrounded by palaces.

·
39,917 Posts
Is that what they are proposing? I wondered when I read the news article about the proposed merger of BK and Timmies. That is pretty shocking! :eek:
Burger King would be buying Tim Hortons to take advantage of Canadian corporate tax rates. The combined firm would rank as the 3rd largest fast food company in the world and be based in Canada. The 2 brands would be kept (and run) separately.

It sounds like it will go through. I wouldn't be surprised if Burger King ends up moving everything to Canada eventually. Often these things happen in baby steps. First the head quarters moves, then a few functions move, then the case for moving more and more becomes apparent until the whole thing moves to the new jurisdiction.

This may be an acquisition of a Canadian firm on paper, but this may end up being a case where by Canada steals a big firm from the US. The US has already lost 2 big firms to other countries for similar reasons. Pfizer is heading to Britain while Medtronic went to Ireland.

·
Premium Member
79,203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I found an article specifically relating to this:
https://ca.finance.yahoo.com/news/why-more-u-s--companies-will-flee-to-canada-170750190.html

Why more U.S. companies will flee to Canada
By Rick Newman | Yahoo Finance – 23 hours ago

While members of Congress spent the last decade lobbing cow pies at each other, their counterparts in Canada were accomplishing what Washington should have been doing: streamlining the nation’s tax structure to attract more companies.

It worked. Burger King (BKW), based in Miami, hopes to acquire the Tim Horton’s (THI) chain, based in Oakville, Ontario, and relocate the headquarters of the combined company to Canada..........

read it here:
https://ca.finance.yahoo.com/news/why-more-u-s--companies-will-flee-to-canada-170750190.html

·
Premium Member
79,203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
And another:
http://business.financialpost.com/2014/08/26/tim-hortons-burger-king-canada/

Burger King and Tim Hortons pen ‘Commitment to Canada’ as part of $12.5-billion merger deal

Financial Post Staff | August 26, 2014 | Last Updated: Aug 26 8:08 AM ET
More from Financial Post Staff

Burger King and Tim Hortons confirmed Tuesday they are combining forces to create the third-largest fast-food chain in the world. The burger chain agreed to acquire the coffee and doughnut company in a $12.5 billion cash-and-share deal and move its headquarters to Canada. A press release announcing the deal highlights the newly formed company’s commitment to Canada.........

read it all here:
http://business.financialpost.com/2014/08/26/tim-hortons-burger-king-canada/

1 - 20 of 427 Posts