SkyscraperCity banner

181 - 197 of 197 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
I know a Chinese woman who’s from Suzhou. The way she described it, she made it sound like a small city. I had no idea it was this large. Quite impressive!

·
Leudimin
8,417 Posts
Line 6 has started construction. This line is set to cross the city from Suzhouxinqu railway station in the Northwest to Xinqing Lu in the Southeast. This line and line S1 had planning completed before the NDRC gave them green light, and thus have been able to start construction as soon as they were approved.

Line 6 won't be opening until 2023. In 2019 there is an expected opening, that of line 3. Trains intended for this line have been seen running on line 4.

·
Registered
2,923 Posts
Wooooow, is it an elevated route?

At last the tram route 2 has opened, but it has a branch also, so actually we can say there are total 3 tram routes, are not?

In future both branches of route 2 will be connected with metro line 3, so obviously the importance of these routes will be increased.

However, there are some questions –

1) Following the map in www.urbanrail.net, I saw there is a bit gap between route 1 & 2 at Longkang Road, but why? If there would be a connection, trams from Xiyang Mountain could easily go towards to Wenchang Road and New District Rail station directly, why they have not created the direct connection, could anybody explain?

2) There is a portion running underground at Shifan, North Xiupin Street, and Zongsan Road, of route 1. please post some photos of underground tram.

3) There is also another network of 5 lines planned in Taihu Xincheng South of the city. I am very much excited to know this. Could anyone write some details about those future tram routes of both parts of the city, with an English map and planned opening dates of those routes?

·
Registered
83 Posts
That branch is only 1 or 2 stations, so I wouldnt consider 3 lines, but still 2 lines.

The elevated section of line 2 is appr. 25 - 30 % of the total route.

As line 1 and 2 meet "at a right angle" at Longkang Lu, a connection does not make sense at the current stage. But tracks do connect both lines, so it is possible to exchange rolling stock between both lines here.

Not sure of future plans so far ...

·
Leudimin
8,417 Posts
Line 8 has started construction. It will run in a half-circle from Xijinqiao in the Northwest through the North and East sides of the city to Chefang in the Southeast with 28 stations over 35.5 km, and is expected to open by September 2024. Now only line 7 (i.e. extending the line 4 branch North) remains in the planning stages, although it shouldn't take long until it starts construction.

In other news, one station on line 1 has been renamed: Shizishan, formerly Suzhou Leyuan or Suzhou Amusement Land. This station is set to become an interchange station with line 3 by the end of the year.

·
PC LOAD LETTER
7,463 Posts
In other news, one station on line 1 has been renamed: Shizishan, formerly Suzhou Leyuan or Suzhou Amusement Land. This station is set to become an interchange station with line 3 by the end of the year.
was the tram stop renamed also, or just the subway station?

·
Leudimin
8,417 Posts
Line 3 is opening on December 25 (already "today" Chinese time). Spanning 45.2 km with 37 stations from Suzhou New Area railway station in the Northwest to Weiting in the Northeast looping South of the city center, it is one of the largest single openings in the World, and all stations will be operative from day one. With this the original 4 line plan gets completed by 2020 as expected, albeit with several changes (Line 2 has been extended in both directions, line 3 has changed course East of the city and also doesn't have a branch at its Western end, and line 4 has gained a branch at is Southern end). This doesn't mark the end of metro construction in Suzhou, as there are now additional lines under construction and planned. At its Eastern end line 3 will connect to line S1, which will connect to Shanghai line 11 at its other end.

·
Leudimin
8,417 Posts
I already knew Suzhou was planning many new lines (up to line 20, but line 19 was missing). But now I've found a map, and my mind has blown away. 23 lines! (Not counting line S1, the only Sx remaining as the others have integrated into express cross-city lines) Now that is crazy. I see they are planning a connection to Wuxi, thus in the future it will be possible to go from Dishui Hu at the end of Shanghai's line 16 to Yixing using only rail transit, a distance of over 200 km in a straight line. In another thread I said if several gaps beyond Wuxi could be filled then it would be possible to go all the way across Jiangsu and most of Anhui to Lu'an, well over 500 km.

181 - 197 of 197 Posts