SkyscraperCity banner

1 - 20 of 1628 Posts

·
Registered
25,181 Posts

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
Why would you build a tower like this, if the city looks so poor and dirty. The contrast is just so big. But that's China, huge differences. As a European it is a bit strange. Building a 500m tower in town that's no more than an average European provincial town.

·
Registered
2,577 Posts
Suzhou is definitely not a town, maybe you only saw the tourism side of the city? Also if a city is dirty and poor...you don't just leave it dirty and poor...u build things to improve it. 30 years ago, cities like Shenzhen were big farmlands/fishing villages. Finally, about the downtown thingy, I think most Chinese cities diversify their CBD by trying to have more than one CBD which is good.

·
Registered
554 Posts
Calling Suzhou a town is just wrong. Suzhou has a urban population of nearly 2,5 million people and it's GDP per capita is as high as Shanghai's GDP per capita (higher than Beijing's). And if you consider the massive urbanization that is going on in China, in 10 years this CBD will be right in the city center of Suzhou. This multi-cored city planning is good for handling the traffic, so not everyone is heading to the same part of the city to work.

But we Europeans (I'm German) tend to think that those Chinese city planners are like kids with a lot of money and dumb as hell. Perhaps just some strange sense of superiority.

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
I agree, it might just be some strange sense of superiority or strange priorities. Developing a new CBD, but forgetting to develop the (old) downtown area and maybe also some other parts of town. We will see, maybe in the future Suzhou will be a great metropolis, but at the moment I still have my doubts.

·
Windweaver
52 Posts
Why would you build a tower like this, if the city looks so poor and dirty. The contrast is just so big. But that's China, huge differences. As a European it is a bit strange. Building a 500m tower in town that's no more than an average European provincial town.
Downtown Suzhou (the area within the city wall) is more than 2500 years old. The walled city of Wu (modern day Suzhou) was built in 512 B.C., and was never destroyed or moved in war fire or natural disaster (unlike Xi'an or Beijing, which have been numerously rebuilt). The city itself is a cultural relic and the government has set a limit of heights that buildings could be built within the city wall to deliberately prevent it from looking modern.

·
Registered
487 Posts
do the city really need a 500 meter skyscraper? or just another egonistic idea of the real estate developer?
bank who bankroll the development better think twice. after all suzhou is not shanghai nor shenzhen.

·
Registered
2,308 Posts
^^Oi, can we stop calling people "trolls" just for disagreeing with a supertall project? Though he (she?) may be wrong to imply that these sorts of buildings are necessary or justifiable in places like Shenzhen or Shanghai, he/she is still bringing up a valid point. It'd be more realistic, and ultimately useful economically to build four 200m buildings or three 200m and one 300m buildings than to build 500m and 400m towers. Maybe it's sort of a moot point because these are mostly vanity projects so they'll be built whether or not they're needed, but bringing this issue up doesn't make them a troll. Let's just call them conscientious objectors. Those are allowed.

Anywho, the design of these towers does nothing for me at present. I know that proposals for towers of these heights are almost ubiquitous by now, but can't we still try something different every once in a while? Especially with the unique Gate of the Orient nearby.

·
Registered
4,188 Posts
^^Oi, can we stop calling people "trolls" just for disagreeing with a supertall project? Though he (she?) may be wrong to imply that these sorts of buildings are necessary or justifiable in places like Shenzhen or Shanghai, he/she is still bringing up a valid point. It'd be more realistic, and ultimately useful economically to build four 200m buildings or three 200m and one 300m buildings than to build 500m and 400m towers. Maybe it's sort of a moot point because these are mostly vanity projects so they'll be built whether or not they're needed, but bringing this issue up doesn't make them a troll. Let's just call them conscientious objectors. Those are allowed.

Anywho, the design of these towers does nothing for me at present. I know that proposals for towers of these heights are almost ubiquitous by now, but can't we still try something different every once in a while? Especially with the unique Gate of the Orient nearby.
The final renderings are yet to be released. Its pretty much a massing model now showing the impact on the skyline.
Regarding JoelQue: He basicly has been crying about a property buble for years in China. Every suptall is a calling card for a massive correction in the property market. He's pretty much a broken record to me.

1 - 20 of 1628 Posts