SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 20 of 779 Posts

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Swedish HSR

Who knows, maybe this will become reality in the next few years?

Gröna Tåget can only go 250 km/h so if this ever becomes a reality I hope it is to replace the intercity trains and that the X2000 trains will be replaced by real HSR...

Jan Björklund (fp) wrote a debate article just a week or two ago calling for HSR and now the minister of transport in today's DN (which had an article about the X2000s getting slower!) said trains will be significantly faster in the next decade. No call for HSR exactly, but I sure hope so...

·
KTH-student
555 Posts
This isn't real news. It's being discussed in other threads.

The first and most likely link that will be built in Sweden is the Ostlänken. It seems like the same goverment as Björklund represent has delayed that project. There's a strong will to start the ostlänken project in 2010 or 2011, but the goverment won't invest the money right now. Even thou the goverment are selling out a lot of companies and never had so much money to invest. It's have been proved and told hundreds of times how important this project is for the economy and environment and in 60 years it have been paying of itself three times over.

There's a large lobbying group in the swedish parlament (of politcians who represent the concerned counties) that's working hard for a earlier consturction start. The largest issue is that it shall be financed by PPP (Public Private Partnership), so the goverment has promised to set up a group that shall gather the part of the money from the private sector.

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The govt has not sold a single company... all it has done is sell a small percentage in Nokia (or whichever company it was) a few months ago.

Swedish infrastructure problems are not a result of the new govt which has only been in power for a bit over a year but rather years of promising huge things with no ways of financing done by the previous government. This takes a while to fix, and the new Stockholm area infrastructure package announced not too long ago etc is a lot more than was ever seen under the previous govt. The fall and maybe even the spring budgets are both going to have great, huge, and needed investments in infrastructure.

·
KTH-student
555 Posts
^^ Hey hey, don't worry. I'm not critisizing the goverment in all. They does a good job IMO. But when it comes to railwayprojects they are a bit to careful IMO. My point is that now when we (are going to) have a lot of money from selling companies we should invest them in such a lucrative project as ostlänken.

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well, at any rate, it would definitely be really nice to see true high speed rail in Sweden. :) First, I would propose Stockholm - Gothenburg. Next Stockholm - Copenhagen. These two should about cover the main needs of HSR in Sweden for quite a while, though I would also love to see some other lines upgraded to be able to use the X2000 and go decently fast.

·
KTH-student
555 Posts
^^ The ostlänken will approximatly cost around 20 billion SEK. Götalandsbanan just as much. I don't know what those other 60 billion SEK comes from. Anyone knows? Is it the Skåne part, or have they added the cost for new station (which have nothing to do with goverement funds)? Or have the recalculated and ended up with sooo much more?

·
Registered
83 Posts
^^ The ostlänken will approximatly cost around 20 billion SEK. Götalandsbanan just as much. I don't know what those other 60 billion SEK comes from. Anyone knows? Is it the Skåne part, or have they added the cost for new station (which have nothing to do with goverement funds)? Or have the recalculated and ended up with sooo much more?
Mabye they include the HH-tunnel (10-20 billion SEK) and Europabanan (20 billion SEK)? The rest goes to Copenhagen-Hamburg?

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The Helsingör-Helsingborg tunnel is definitely included if you take a look at the picture. Note though that from the picture one can see that the high speed line would cross to Helsingör and go down to Copenhagen in Denmark -- thus no direct HSR connection to Malmö (but to Malmö compared to Copenhagen it is just an extra 10 minutes so no big deal here). Probably a good idea anyway, let Denmark have a bit of HSR and shoulder a few of the costs. ;)

·
forumer #29
4,848 Posts
Get on the train at Centralen and get of 2:40 later at Hovedbangården... so effing sweet. I like how Linköping is already including it in the urban planning, if most cities did so it'd put more pressure on the state. Also lovin' the AGV-pic. GrönaTåget will be alright for regional trains and for going way up north without dedicated HSL, but the real HSLs deserve real highspeed trains. Get bids from Alstom, Siemens and the Japanese, DON'T develop our own! Sweden is far from big enough to carry such an unnescecary cost.

·
Registered
83 Posts
It's important to remember that Banverket (swedish rail authority) has stated Europabanan (Jönköping-Helsingborg) as unrealistic, so what we are talking about here is connecting Stockholm and Gothenburg with HSR (Götalandsbanan and Ostlänken). The current geometrically sound Malmö railway (Södra stambanan) will probably get an 250 km/h upgrade.

The map in the article is probaby a copy from the lobbying organization Europakorridoren.

·
KTH-student
555 Posts
^^ Yeah, I don't think the Jönköping-Helsingborg + tunnel is ver realistic in at least 20 years. We're having a hard time just getting started with Europakorridoren. First out should, according to banverket, be the Ostlänken. Last week I was invited to the city planners of Linköpings Kommun, and they told med that the whole new general plan for Linköping (which is going official on the 7th of april) is based on the construction of Ostlänken. It's really a lot on stake here, so I guess that it would behard for the goverment to reject this project in the upcoming plans from Banverket this easter.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Is there large scale commuting between Linköping and Stockholm today? Otherwise, I don't understand why they prioritized that stretch over other parts.

·
KTH-student
555 Posts
^^ Yes, it is. The "Södra stambanan" between Malmö and Stockholm, via Linköping and Norrköping, is iirc the most trafficated stretch in Sweden. There's really no space left to use for more trains. There's also a great demand to expand the numbers of both logistic- and public trains (local, regional and national), so this strech if any should be prioritized!

So remember, this is a project not only for the intercity highspeedtrains, but also for the local commuting trains and the logistic trains, which will have the existing tracks free to use when the intrecity trains start tor roll on the new HSR.

·
forumer #29
4,848 Posts
Is there large scale commuting between Linköping and Stockholm today? Otherwise, I don't understand why they prioritized that stretch over other parts.
This stat is a few years old, but...
More people commute to work in Kista from Linköping than from Rinkeby.
or was it Jönköping? no matter.

·
Registered
1,987 Posts
As I know in Sweden at the substations for the railway power supply converts are used which transform the three phase AC power of the public grid into single phase AC for the trains. Nevertheless, there are according http://sv.wikipedia.org/wiki/Matning_av_kontaktledning in some parts of Sweden also high voltage powerlines for single phase AC operated by the railway company. In which parts of Sweden do they exist? Does one of these lines also crosses the border to Norway?

A high voltage single phase AC powerline of the Swedish Railway Company

1 - 20 of 779 Posts