SkyscraperCity banner

481 - 500 of 967 Posts

·
18,519 Posts
So the japanese are frequent bicyclists because they are more environmental friendly? I think it has to do with the lack of parkingspace due to the stellar price of land. I have read that in some japanese cities you need to confirm that you have a parkingspot before you are allowed to buy a car.
Yes, you are right about the confirmed parking spot, but most houses have some provision for parking and so that isn't an issue in the suburbs. Car ownership is quite high there, but km driven is low because people walk or cycle for short trips and commute via rail in the metropolitan areas (read: suburbs). Don't think that all land in Japan is expensive, it isn't. It's just it is actually more convenient to cycle than it is to drive in many cases - and I don't see why that is such an issue in such a small town as Motala... It's perfectly compact enough for most people to even walk to the station - the 4km was right to the edge of the settled area.

·
Registered
724 Posts
I livet in Motala for a few months in 2013, and I would say it's pretty unfriendly to pedestrians, and lots of the suburbs are something like a 45-60 minute walk from the station. I'm not surprised people rather take the car than walk or bike, especially in the winter months.

Plus, people in the countryside/small towns tend to need their cars more, so there's more of a car culture than in the bigger towns.

·
18,179 Posts
From Railway Gazette:

http://www.railwaygazette.com/news/...-launches-open-access-inter-city-service.html

MTR launches open access inter-city service
23 Mar 2015

SWEDEN: Head-to-head competition came to the 455 km Stockholm – Göteborg corridor on March 21 when open access operator MTR Express launched commercial services.

Initially operating around 50 trains per week, rising to 90 from August, MTR Express is offering an end-to-end journey time of 3 h 19 min with three intermediate station calls. Journey times are around 15 min longer than those offered by incumbent SJ

Cheers!:cheers:

·
Rail & Road traveller
2,804 Posts
Malmslätt, Linköping

Why do the rear red lights flash on Swedish trains?
I wish I knew. I'm not certain if they flash on the X2000. Maybe they dont flash all the time. I actually never thought about it.
I will ask in a swedish train forum and I'll see if someone knows. In the US some locos have blinking headlights, which I find peculiar.

The Malmslätt Station building from 1902. It was staffed untill 1962. Today it is a lamp-shop. The building is in bad shape, esecially the roof.
There used to be a switching yard here but it is demolished since at least 30 years.

X2000 towards Linköping-Stockholm

X2000 to Malmö

Regional commutertrain

About 8 trains an hour pass by here.

·
Rail & Road traveller
2,804 Posts
Why do the rear red lights flash on Swedish trains?
The rear red lights used to be battery-powered detachable end signals that were relatively invisible in the dark, so they had to blink back then to be more visible and to save battery power. For some reason this rule about blinking rear lights continued to apply in the 1980´s when waggons with built in rear red lights were introduced.

Today fixed lights are standard, and the blinking lights will gradually disappear.

·
Registered
16,156 Posts
I wish I knew. I'm not certain if they flash on the X2000. Maybe they dont flash all the time. I actually never thought about it.
I will ask in a swedish train forum and I'll see if someone knows. In the US some locos have blinking headlights, which I find peculiar.

The Malmslätt Station building from 1902. It was staffed untill 1962. Today it is a lamp-shop. The building is in bad shape, esecially the roof.
There used to be a switching yard here but it is demolished since at least 30 years.

X2000 towards Linköping-Stockholm

X2000 to Malmö

Regional commutertrain

About 8 trains an hour pass by here.

Those are ditchlights and they seem to getting phased out , at least on DMU's and EMU's. They don't flash all the time , only the station areas... Its for warning people....and that's on top of the bell and horn... Which vary state to state in terms of rules...

·
Registered
2,764 Posts
The rear red lights used to be battery-powered detachable end signals that were relatively invisible in the dark, so they had to blink back then to be more visible and to save battery power. For some reason this rule about blinking rear lights continued to apply in the 1980´s when waggons with built in rear red lights were introduced.

Today fixed lights are standard, and the blinking lights will gradually disappear.
The newly built X55 sets (SJ3000) still have them though :)

·
Rail & Road traveller
2,804 Posts
Linghem commutertrain station Small village pop. 2 804

The station building. Built in 1873. No passengertrains stopped here between the years 1968-1995
The commutertrain traffic began in 1995.

The train "Snälltåget" has passed by Linghem

Commutertrain heading for Norrköping

Commutertrain heading for Motala

SJ-Expresstrain pulled by the black Rc-loco.

X10 commutertrain at Malmskogen, Linköping

Video from today - Linghem

Video from today - Malmskogen

·
Rail & Road traveller
2,804 Posts
Why are the acceleration speeds so slow at that station?

Well my amateur explanation would be:

Maybe because it's a commutertrain. Passengers have to run their cards through a card reader before they sit down. Sometimes at rush hour there could be a queue and the train operator wouldnt like the passengers to fall due to fast acceleration ??

...or the train is not customized accelerate fast...? Well. To be honest with I dont really know.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Had Malmslätt not been on such a busy route with few slots available for new services it would be a good candidate for commuter rail, with 5,000 inhabitants and about 6-7 kilometers to Linköping.

·
Rail & Road traveller
2,804 Posts
Had Malmslätt not been on such a busy route with few slots available for new services it would be a good candidate for commuter rail, with 5,000 inhabitants and about 6-7 kilometers to Linköping.
I also thought about Malmslätt as a future commutertrain station, but I dont think it has to do with the available space for the trains or facilities.

I think the reason for the lack of commutertrains in Malmslätt is poor passenger basis. Malmslätt is a sprawling villa community with mostly single-family detached homes, there are few blocks of flats. Also the railway passes through only at the southernmost tip of the muncipality.

·
Registered
25,519 Posts
High speed railway: Ostlänken

Linköping kommun decided to put a section of the future HSR line Ostlänken into a tunneln under Linköping. Better service for the passengers, more possibilities to develop the city center and advantages for the community were the major motives behind this decision. The modified plan for a HSR line results in an increased cost of the project by 0.5 - 1.5 billion SEK.
While the new railway station of Linköping will be underground, the station in neighbouring city Norrköping will be a bridge-like structure.

Source: Linköping vill ha Ostlänken i tunnel under staden

·
Registered
25,519 Posts
A tunnel and a new station in Strängnäs

One more railway tunnel will be constructed underneath Strängnäs in Södermaland County. According to the plan, a double-track railway between Ulvhäll and Härad (see the map) should increase the capacity of the railway network in the area. The construction should start in the IVth quarter of this year and last for 18 months.

Source

A new Strägnäs Travel Center (Strägnäs Resecentrum) will be constructed just outside the tunnel (Illustrations from Trafikverket webpage)

Source

Source

Source

More information: http://partnersok.byggtjanst.se/pro...for-dubbelspar-genom-strangnas#location-image, http://www.trafikverket.se/Privat/Projekt/Sodermanland/Strangnas-Harad/Strangnas-nya-resecentrum, http://strangnas.se/sv/Bygga-bo--miljo/Samhallsplanering/Ovriga-projekt/RESECENTRUM/Nytt-resecentrum.

·
forumer #29
4,823 Posts
One more railway tunnel will be constructed underneath Strängnäs in Södermaland County. According to the plan, a double-track railway between Ulvhäll and Härad (see the map) should increase the capacity of the railway network in the area. The construction should start in the IVth quarter of this year and last for 18 months.

Source

A new Strägnäs Travel Center (Strägnäs Resecentrum) will be constructed just outside the tunnel (Illustrations from Trafikverket webpage)

Source

Source

Source

More information: http://partnersok.byggtjanst.se/pro...for-dubbelspar-genom-strangnas#location-image, http://www.trafikverket.se/Privat/Projekt/Sodermanland/Strangnas-Harad/Strangnas-nya-resecentrum, http://strangnas.se/sv/Bygga-bo--miljo/Samhallsplanering/Ovriga-projekt/RESECENTRUM/Nytt-resecentrum.
That's a quick tunnel dig!
Good to see continued investment in Svealandsbanan. Most stations already have two tracks and gong for a second tube to the Strängnästunnel is an obvious thing to do when double-tracking Strängnäs Station.
Investments like this are needed if we wanna see the new capacity through Stockholm after 2017 used by regional trains.

Reactions: dj4life

·
Rail & Road traveller
2,804 Posts
Linköping today

Commutertrain leaving Linköping northbound

Rc6 Loco waiting on a sidetrack.

X14 commutertrain arrives at Linköping railway station.

X10 regional train to Sala

SJ X2000 trains to Stockholm (left) & Malmö (right)

SJ train heading north

Trains today

·
Registered
25,519 Posts
Overdecking of Värtabanan

And one more tunnel. :)

If the detailed plan of the project proposed for Albano area will be approved, a freight railway line between Roslagsvägen and Roslagsbanan will decked over. The construction work is scheduled for start in summer 2015 and the planned year of completion is 2017.

Source

Värtabanan Albano, överdäckning

481 - 500 of 967 Posts