SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
ze kreat ant ze onli
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For a look at the current situation of the network as it is today, check this link out:

Link to map

So, here we go for the new projects...

E4

E4 is an "important national route" as it starts in the harbour of Helsingborg and end at the Finnish border in Haparanda, a stretch of 1500 kilometres. On this route there are now two especially important projects.

In the south, a new section of motorway is being constructed past Markaryd, 18 kilometres. The most spectacular bit is where the road crosses the river of Lagan, as a 350 m. long bridge is under construction. It goes 25 metres above Lagan.

Construction pictures:

Once it has been given over to traffic, there will be only a 30 km stretch past Ljungby before we have a motorway between Malmö and Stockholm. But it sadly looks like this "gap" will remain as a gap for a long time :(

In the north, a 78 km long motorway section between Uppsala and Mehedeby is under way. Construction on this enormous project commenced in spring 2002 and will be given over to traffic in October 2007.

For more information ( in Swedish) and pictures:
http://www.vv.se/templates/page3____3837.aspx
http://www.davidlarsson.se/e4upp/

E6

E6 is the west coast route and connects Norway with Gothenburg, Malmö and the harbours along the Swedish west coast. The road starts in Trelleborg where it right now is only a 2-lane casual piece of road. There are plans however for an extension of the motorway from Vellinge, where it ends right now, to Trelleborg. Hopefully construction starts 2006/7. You can see the proposal here:
http://www.vv.se/filer/24631/vagforslaget_E6.pdf

In the north the new Svinesundsbron between Sweden and Norway is to be inaugerated 10th June 2005.
http://www.svinesundsinvigningen.com/

Construction pics from this bridge. Yeee, it´s really impressive! :cheers:

Some other facts about the current motorway construction along the route between Sweden and Norway:
Status E6 Uddevalla-Oslo
1. Torp – Kallsås 5 km, klar juni 2004
2. Kallsås – Saltkällan 5 km, klar 2007
3. Saltkällan - Håby 7 km, 2004-2007
4. Rabbalshede – Hogdal 50 km kan bli klar 2009
5. Svinesundsförbindelsen klar 2005
6. Riksgrensen - Svingenskogen 4,5 km, klar 2005
7. Svingenskogen - Årum 18 km, klar 2008
8. Årum - Alvim 2,5 km, klar 2008
9. Alvim - Åsgård 13,7 km, klar 2009
10. Åsgård - Halmstad 10,7 km, klar 2005
11. Halmstad - Patterød 7,4 km, klar september 2004
12. Vinterbru - Assurtjern, troligen klar2009
13. Assurtjern – Klemetsrud, klar september 2004
E18

This year two projects are finally to get started on E18. The first one is an extension east of Karlstad. The five km piece of motorway will be built where the existing motorway in Karlstad ends. Construction is to be commenced in Autumn.

The other project is a new motorway west of Örebro. The current road is a narrow and notorious route, well-known for the many accidents that occurs there. Construction is to commence in late Autumn/December this year.

The motorway ends at Köping. Between Köping-Enköping it is not motorway except a stretch of an urban motorway through Västerås. Construction of a new stretch of motorway west of Enköping (though it won´t go as far as Västerås) may start next year.

An old "headache" in Stockholm has been the stretch of E18 from Hjulsta to the inner city. In the 1970´s it was planned that a new motorway was to be built in Järvafältet, but enviormental protests changed the plans. It is one of the most congested roads in Sweden with 44000 vehicles a day on an ordinary 2-lane stretch. Construction may begin 2007.

Riksväg 23 (national route 23)

A short piece of motorway but here it is. Not more than 2 kilometres long and bypass the village Sandsbro northeast of Växjö. They still haven´t decided if it is going to be signed as a motorway or not but construction started in February this year and is built with a motorway standard. According to latest plans the stretch should be given over to traffic in June 2006.

Riksväg 50

The road between Borlänge and Falun ( I bet you know something about this, Atlantica :)) is to become a motorway. Construction started 2003 and it should be completed 2006.

Ah well, don´t remember if there are any more Swedish motorway projects because I am a bit tired right now.. Anyone who knows better may correct me :)

·
Expert
933 Posts
i have not photos or info but they are building a big traffic unnel under åre to easy the traffic and stuff like that

·
Right Here, Right Now
2,652 Posts
Cool thread, and yes I know something about the motorway between Borlänge and Falun :D (not much though) Passed the construction a few times, and it will become bigger and broader than the previous road. There's a discussion right now if the limit should be 90 km/h or 110 km/h

·
ze kreat ant ze onli
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
wolkenkrabber said:
i have not photos or info but they are building a big traffic unnel under åre to easy the traffic and stuff like that
Yup, but that tunnel is not going to be constructed as a motorway tunnel but as an ordinary single carriageway 2-lane in one tube. I dedicated this thread to Swedish motorways but what the heck... I am pragmatic :)

This is how the tunnel in Åre is going to look like. It has been built because of the WC in alpine sports that will take place in Åre 2007 so they decided to give the village a more natural connection with the mountains.

·
The Big Cheese
1,722 Posts

Nya E4:an mellan Uppsala och Mehedeby är Sveriges längsta motorvägsbygge. 78 km väg byggs samtidigt i hela sin sträckning och öppnas för trafik hösten 2007. Sträckan kommer att innehålla ett 40-tal broar och viadukter. Till detta kommer arbete med anslutningsvägar, på- och avfarter. På den mest trafikerade delen mellan Uppsala och Björklinge, har Vägverket beslutat använda betong som vägbeläggning.
yeah concrete :cheers it's the best

they're also building on Bärbyleden here in town, it will be linked to the new E4

·
forumer #29
4,854 Posts
solbyair said:
An old "headache" in Stockholm has been the stretch of E18 from Hjulsta to the inner city. In the 1970´s it was planned that a new motorway was to be built in Järvafältet, but enviormental protests changed the plans. It is one of the most congested roads in Sweden with 44000 vehicles a day on an ordinary 2-lane stretch. Construction may begin 2007.
The plans have been comming and going for this since the 70s (like you said). the reason for the current opposition is that there is a (more expensive) alternative that's getting support from many locals (and (v) and (mp)). That option is for a tunnel under the hill Tensta-Rinkeby lie on. I'd prefer that one, but since it's a low-income area I don't doubt the locals push for anything like Södra/Norra Länkarnas tunnels won't come to pass.
I'd also like to see the figures for the new combined E4/E18 stretch Kista-JärvaKrog. should be swamped all day.

·
ze kreat ant ze onli
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Swede said:
The plans have been comming and going for this since the 70s (like you said). the reason for the current opposition is that there is a (more expensive) alternative that's getting support from many locals (and (v) and (mp)). That option is for a tunnel under the hill Tensta-Rinkeby lie on. I'd prefer that one, but since it's a low-income area I don't doubt the locals push for anything like Södra/Norra Länkarnas tunnels won't come to pass.
I'd also like to see the figures for the new combined E4/E18 stretch Kista-JärvaKrog. should be swamped all day.
Ah well, let´s expropiate the low-income areas, demolish the houses and pave the road for the new motorway :D

I really don´t understand why they want to put the road under ground. There are many examples where they´ve built a road and built a "ecological" over/underpass ( most often a 50-100 metres wide bridge or tunnel under the way) where it is easy for game and wildlife to pass the road. It would probably be much cheaper than building a long tunnel through a "preserved" area.

When I now looked on a map over Stockholm and its metro area, one thing that struck me was that the northern part ( north of Gamla stan/Slussen) has some of the worst, most congested roads in Sweden while the part of the city that is to the south has many excellent motorways and other fine routes that serves the traffic very well. The northern part of Stockholm may be the richest part and the most populated too but there are except E4 not many motorways and hard for traffic from E18 to get out on E4.

·
forumer #29
4,854 Posts
The current plans are for building the new motorway sections on the slope below Tensta-Rinkeby. So it'll take away some green areas (IMO the crappiest part of the green area, a part no'one ever uses - it's steep and right next to E18!).
I'm not really that much against the plan, just think they shouldn't steamroll over ppls opinions because it's a poor 'hood. Those wiiiide (pedestrian) overpasses and the improved noice reductions are the highpoints of the plan IMO.

The main reasons the North has a weirder motorways and such is the more complex geography (all the inlets and lakes) and the historically more powerful nimbys. Since the North had richer suburbs it also had more rich people with enough power to stop infratructure plans (subway & motorways).

/looking at E18 @ Rinkeby right now.

·
Stockholm rules!
1,740 Posts
What about väg 44? Uddevalla - väneryr 2 lane motorway completed in 2004 now construction of the extension has started Väneryr - båberg wich will connect Uddevalla to Trollätan. Completion unknown.

I drove past there a week ago and construction had come pretty far but still alot to do.
BTW nice thread! :D

·
ze kreat ant ze onli
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ah well, as I said, I can´t remember every project ;-). But, you´re right so ok, here it goes.

The first bit of the road was given over to traffic last year as the map shows, but I didn´t know that the construction had started on the second part. According to Vägverket (the Swedish national highway agency) it should be completed in 2006/7.

·
forumer #29
4,854 Posts
It is now! :D

·
Registered
188 Posts
Well here is my first contribution about Stockholm bypass:

Hi guys,

I just found a map yesterday on Trafikverket site which is new to me, since so far i knew only for the Kungens Kurva - Häggvik part of planned Stockholm bypass, but connecting half-finished Norrortsleden and future Södertörnsleden makes bypass looks more decent with half a ring around the Stockholm.

And E18 will be connected to E4 avoiding the motorway gap.

Click a map to enlarge.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Swedish 2+1 road projects

They are safer than classic 2 lane roads, they have better traffic flow, they are faster and they are optimal solution to achieve (pretty close to motorway) safety also on roads which have lower number of vehicles per day (AADT).

Post here news about 2+1 roads in Sweden.

·
forumer #29
4,854 Posts
indeed. This thread should be used more for the motorways outside Stockholm & Skåne (now that they both have their own infra-threads.

·
Registered
3,849 Posts
When I was in Sweden last year, I saw for the first time these 2+1 lanes. A bit strange as we don't have anything like that in Holland as far as I know. But I like it to be honest. :)

·
Registered
188 Posts
2+1 roads are a great compromise when safety is needed but there is not enough traffic for a motorway.

They were strange to me too since I saw them first time in Sweden but I can only wish other countries would do them.

Sweden was in advantage though since a lot 13 meters wide 2 lane roads were converted to 2+1 lanes.

Actually you in Netherlands have 1+1. :)

1 - 20 of 54 Posts