SkyscraperCity banner

21 - 40 of 541 Posts

·
Registered
411 Posts
Well Sweden are are about to embark on an almost complete reconstruction of their football stadiums with just about every top division club playing in new or completly rebuilt stadiums within 5-6 years.

The new Rasunda national stadium will have 50,000 seats and a sliding roof and will be the home of AIK Solna.
Djurgarden and Hammerby will also use it for big matches.
all the other stadiums are rather boring, but desperately needed new 18-30,000 capacity venues.

Based on what other new stadiums have done for crowds in Scandinavia, it should take Allsvenskan´s average attendance close to 20,000 or even more if the league is reduced because of the likely increase in inter-scandinavian competition.

·
Registered
475 Posts
how many more stadiums are planned for Sweden?

I know Boras Arena was completed recently, so is there plans for any more? I took a look at some of the stadiums on Stadionwelt. To be honest, a lot of them could do with redevelopment.

Denmark and Norway both have plenty of new, or planned stadiums nowadays, so how about Sweden

·
Registered
411 Posts
matherto said:
how many more stadiums are planned for Sweden?

I know Boras Arena was completed recently, so is there plans for any more? I took a look at some of the stadiums on Stadionwelt. To be honest, a lot of them could do with redevelopment.

Denmark and Norway both have plenty of new, or planned stadiums nowadays, so how about Sweden
A lot of them?..how about all of them.. except indeed Boras,which is a new stadium for elfsborg and has helped this small town club increase crowds

Stockholm:
AIK Solna, New Rasunda 50,000, retractable roof, also national stadium
Hammerby, New stadium, 25,000, derby games, big matches at Rasunda
Djurgarden, expansion to 25,000, big matches at Rasunda

Gothenburg:
3 clubs (IFK+ örgryte+ GAIS) will all continue to share Old Ullevi when its completly rebuilt. capacity unchanged at 18,000.
Big matches will continue to move next door to New Ullevi, built for the world cup 1958 and now a modern 43,000 athletics stadium, which just hosted the Euro´s , but not great for football.
BK hacken may become a 4th club at Old Ullevi

Malmö FF new stadium, 30,000, will include or be prepared for a roof
Helsingborgs, complete reconstruction, 18,000, big matches could (possibly) be moved to Malmo

Norrköping, complete reconstruction, 18,000

Kalmar, a small club, new 10,000, including a retractable roof
(and there will probably be a few more developments like Kalmar from other smaller clubs)

Of all this, only Djurgårdens development of their 1912 olympic stadium is probably not certain to go ahead. The club may move all games to the new rasunda which is also a historic home for the club.

It means all Swedens major clubs will soon move to far better facilities, which should seriously boost crowds.
There could be a move to make a retractable roof almost mandatory as part of extending the season with inter-scanidnavian competition. That is connected to another difficult debate about fake grass.

·
Registered
2,332 Posts
For years now not a single Swedish club has managed to qualify to the champions league. And the worse point of these years came when the Swedish league was compared to the cypriotic on swedish television. Good swedish players have been sold to other european clubs, even the two other scandinavian countries Norway and not least Denmark. One reason is the special taxrules in Norway and Denmark for athletes which enables the clubs in these countries to offer higher pay. Another thing that has left swedish clubs behind is worse stadiums (and other things il treat later in this post).

But things are starting to change as initiatives for making swedish clubs competititve has been taken. The clubs are also investing themselves. And a mix of this has brought a footballstadium boom to the country.

Basically im going to list the stadiums with some information and then give my own opinions as to what more can be done.

Stadium 1, Name not decided, will be built where "gamla ullevi" stands today after this season Capacity: ca 19 000 , Other: Closed corners for better atmosphere, will be the women's national teams nationalstadium, Affected clubs: GAIS (New home stadium), ÖIS (New home stadium) och IFK Göteborg (New home stadium). City: Göteborg

RENDERS/MODELS:

UPDATE - Stadium now under construction

Stadium 2, The new "söderstadion" which will most likely stand where söderstadion stands today close to the globe arena (icehockey etc). Built by the club Hammarby which is supported by sponsors. Capcity: ca 20 000 - 50 000 (One alternative is that it should be able to be changed for current requirements) , Other: Closed corners, Affected clubs: Hammarby (New home stadium). City: Stockholm

Stadium 3, Malmö FF's new stadium, to be built somewhere in malmö, cost - around 300 - 450 milj swedish kr (about 35-50 milj euros) . Capacity: ca 28 000, Other: the stadium can be expanded with roof and more capacity, Affected clubs: Malmö FF (New home stadium). City: Malmö

RENDERS/MODELS:

UPDATE - STADIUM NOW UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Stadium 4, A new nationalstadium (New Råsunda) close to the current Råsunda. Capacity: 50 000, Other: Project launched by the Swedish football association. Affected clubs: AIK (New home stadium), and Hammarby och Djurgårdens IF at derbys. City: Solna (suburb to Stockholm)

RENDERS:

Stadium 5, New stadium for Öster. Source "- Vi bearbetar kommunen. Får vi inte fram en modern arena kan vi inte behålla vår position i svensk fotboll. En ny arena är livsviktig för oss.
Leif Widén, sportchef till AB" (Öster representative says its vital for the clubs future to get a new arena to the swedish newspaper Aftonbladet), Expected capacity: ca 18 000, Affected clubs: Öster. City: Växjö

Stadium 6, Djurgården, Rebuilt/new. Capacity: ca 24 000, Other: If stockholms olympiastadion is rebuilt the tracks will be removed. Most likely they will build a new stadium for football use only Affected clubs: Djurgårdens IF. City: Stockholm.

RENDERS/SKETCHES:

Stadium 7, New stadium built by Kalmar FF. Capacity: 10 000 - 15 000. Other: Will have a roof. Affected clubs: Kalmar FF. City: Kalmar.

RENDERS/SKETCHES:

UPDATE - CLOSING IN TO CONSTRUCTION START

Stadium 8, New stadium built my Helsingborg IF. Capacity: around 20 000. Affected clubs: Helsingborgs IF. City: Helsingborg.

RENDERS/SKETCHES:

Stadium 9, Expansion of Nya Ullevi. New capacity: 50 000 - 55 000. Other: Information is indicating they want to raise the short sides to match/go past the capacity of the New Råsunda in order to better compete with Stockholm when trying to get various events. Affected clubs: GAIS, ÖIS, IFK Göteborg and in rare cases other clubs from Göteborg. City: Göteborg.

Stadium 10, Borås arena, finished 2005. Capacity: 17 000. Other: totalt cost about 13 milj euros. Affected clubs IF Elfsborg. City: Borås.

PHOTOS:

Stadium 11 Rebuilt idrottsparken in Norrköping. Capacity: 18 000 Affected clubs: IFK Norrköping, Sylvia. City: Norrköping

Stadium 12 New stadium in Halmstad Capacity: 14 000 Other: Halmstads BK has applied to the municipality of the city that they need a new stadium Affected clubs: Halmstads BK City: Halmstad

Keep in mind many designs and proposals are preliminary.

To complement this and encourage further developement the swedish football association have also proposed to expand the league by two teams to a total of 16 teams ( source: http://svt.se/svt/jsp/Crosslink.jsp?d=21425&a=498285 )

Another initiative is that Sweden wants to host the european championships and have invited norway to do so with them, but they are awaiting an answer as the norwegian football association are investing/researching the issue.

Below are my opinions on how the situation can be even better.

I have to proposals for getting the swedish, alternatively the scandinavian teams more competitive in europe. Last year three scandinavian clubs reached the last qualificationround for the Champions league.

Alternative 1

Allsvenskan is expanded my two teams. With 14 teams its a bigger chance for attendancewise big teams to be relegated. This has happened and when it has, the swedish first league loses a lot of quality. With 16 teams the chance is big that there will always be 12-14 attendancewise stronger teams in the league.

Alternative 2

Royal league gets scraped and instead is created a joint scandinavian first leauge with 16 - 18 teams. Todays highest leagues in Norway, Sweden and Denmark (and Iceland?) will therefore become the new second leagues.
The winner or alternatively the two best from the highest national leagues (scandinavian second leagues) end upp in a joint qualification league/series after the regular season, together with the two lowest placed teams in the scandinavian first league, and this qualification decides which teams will be regulated/promoted to/from the Scandinavian first league.

For the first season the six highest placed clubs from SAS-ligan, Tippeligan och Allsvenskan can enter the new highest league.

The result of both alternatives should be:

1. Higher mediumattendance
2. Tougher competition
3. More championsleague qualification spots (at least the second proposal)

Further measueres is to lower taxes for fotballclubs and players to make it easier for the clubs to compete in Europe economically (This is doubtfull as it may create injustices in the society. But many people appreciate football, at the same time many doesnt and probably doesnt think its worth it so...)

Natural clubs in a joint scandinavian league (first division) that immediately makes it water frenetically around the mouth are:

- GAIS (Sweden)
- Rosenborg (Norway)
- Vålerengen (Norway)
- FC Köpenhamn (Denmark)
- Bröndby (Denmark)
- Hammarby IF (Sweden)
- Malmö FF (Sweden)
- AIK (Sweden)

Teams which may eventually qualify/establish to the league are:

- Norrköping(Sweden)
- IF Elfsborg(Sweden)
- IFK Göteborg(Sweden)
- ÖIS(Sweden)
- Helsingborgs IF(Sweden)
- Djurgårdens IF (Sweden)
- FC Lyn (Norway)
- Ålborg (Denmark)
- Århus (Denmark)
- Lilleström (Norway)
- Viking FK (Norway)
- SK Brann (Norway)
- AaB (Denmark)
- FC Midtjylland (Denmark)

At least we know that currently its to passive around swedish football and something has to be done, as its rather falling in quality than climbing. (Even though we have GAIS, the eternal ideal)

Note: It would also benefit the countries hotelindustry with the travelling supporters

Add your opinions and more renders, news, etc.

·
Hoj!
363 Posts
http://www.dn.se/DNet/jsp/polopoly.jsp?d=672&a=571854&previousRenderType=6

Roof on Borås Arena?

Also an interesting note:
Kändes det någon gång som om ni spelade ett högt spel när ni satte era planer i verket om en ny arena?
- Faktiskt inte. Klart att det varit en stor satsning. Men vi kände oss ändå relativt trygga med den kompetens som finns i klubben. Med hjälp av en gammal Skanska-chef kunde vi bland annat bygga den här arenan för 117 miljoner. Ett par år innan hade Borås stad fått en prislapp på 350 miljoner.
Will all these new stadia be built with swedish or latvian construction workers? ;)

·
Registered
2,349 Posts
Great idea about the joined competition, that's what they should do for the Benelux too!
And yeah we would like to se some rendering man!!

·
yatta! yatta!
169 Posts
New Råsunda 50.000, Solna (Stockholm)

http://www.svenskfotboll.se/files/{1B58083B-175B-4266-9FE5-06A01DA86F63}.jpg
http://www.svenskfotboll.se/files/{FD443A39-499B-4B56-A48E-D2048C17A273}.jpg
http://www.svenskfotboll.se/files/{06851101-D204-4636-8BE4-23052C6E044C}.jpg

--------------------

"New Söderstadion" 25.000-50.000+, Stockholm

Here's a PDF that includes all proposals regarding this stadium
http://www.stockholm.se/upload/Fackforvaltningar/Markkontoret/Fristående sajter/Evenemangsstaden/Evenemangsstaden en ny stadsdel 2006-04-24.pdf

--------------------

Expanded Olympia ~20.000, Helsingborg

Klick for larger

--------------------

"Kalmar Arena" 13.000, Kalmar

http://www.kalmarff.se/bilder/arenan-06-08-22/01-1024.jpg
http://www.kalmarff.se/bilder/arenan-06-08-22/02-1024.jpg
http://www.kalmarff.se/bilder/arenan-06-08-22/03-1024.jpg

--------------------

"New Old Ullevi" ~18-19.000, Gothenburg

--------------------

"Malmö Arena" 27.000-30.000, Malmö

These are not the final renders, there are 4 designs made i think, and the winner will be presented anytime soon..

--------------------

Expanded Norrköpings IP 18.000, Norrköping

And also Halmstads BK have plans to build a new ~16.000 stadium, no renders yet tho.

·
Banned
2,741 Posts
^^ those look great!! :eat:

the stadium in Stockholm is the best of course.
I just hope that the new Söderstadion gets 50k!

·
Registered
2,332 Posts
Oelanddk said:
I don't understand why you put Århus (I guess it's AGF you are talking about) on that list since they are playing in the 2'nd best league (viasat sport ligaen)...And why are there 4 swedish clubs on the list of teams which natural should join the league? (and only 2 norwegian and danish teams?)
I dont know as much about Danish and Norwegian football as i do about swedish, its just my estimation. About the four swedish clubs contra 2 norwegian and danish. Its just my opinion, keep in bind as i said im more into swedish football, naturally becouse i live here. I gave a rough example of which teams i personally thing would be beneficial, if u have other opinions please inform me so that we can discuss it :) .

Checker:

not very likely im afraid. Becouse they wouldnt fill them, and with already a 50 000 stadium launched in teh stockholm area there arent demand for another one. But there are things indicating its possible becouse the sponsor behind Hammarby in the project, have already built and manages big stadiums in Europe and North America (maybe elsewhere to).

Anway, some information is indicating that they wanted to built a supermodern stadium with customizable capacity from 20 000 - 50 000 depending on the circumstances, dont ask me how they thought that would work. But its an interesting thought, maybe not practical though.

·
yatta! yatta!
169 Posts
At the moment im against a joint league because Allsvenskan can become a "big" european league on its own. Our avg. attendance is higher than some bigger euro leagues so there is no lack of interest. This year the average for Allsvenskan will probably be ~10.000, and when the new stadiums gets built we can set our goals for 14-16.000 or maby even more?
A perfect exampel of succes (on and off the field) is Elfsborg's IF, when their new stadium was finnished last year they doubled their turnover that season, and they are expected to be able to almost double it again in a couple of years. So when the big clubs in Sweden build their new stadiums they will be able to compete with larger clubs in Europe no doubt. One thing is certain, that Malmö FF will become alot bigger. Their deal with IMG is the largest so far in Scandinavia, I don't have the exact figures, but it had 9 numbers in it.

But if there was plans to create a Scandinavian league, som problems like relegation and promotion must be solved in a fair way. So there is no country without or with very few teams in the league. The Champions league spots should be given to the winner of the league and the best/next best team from each country. Because I dont want to see a country without a team in CL.

·
Registered
2,332 Posts
Rausa said:
At the moment im against a joint league because Allsvenskan can become a "big" european league on its own. Our avg. attendance is higher than some bigger euro leagues so there is no lack of interest. This year the average for Allsvenskan will probably be ~10.000, and when the new stadiums gets built we can set our goals for 14-16.000 or maby even more?
A perfect exampel of succes (on and off the field) is Elfsborg's IF, when their new stadium was finnished last year they doubled their turnover that season, and they are expected to be able to almost double it again in a couple of years. So when the big clubs in Sweden build their new stadiums they will be able to compete with larger clubs in Europe no doubt. One thing is certain, that Malmö FF will become alot bigger. Their deal with IMG is the largest so far in Scandinavia, I don't have the exact figures, but it had 9 numbers in it.

But if there was plans to create a Scandinavian league, som problems like relegation and promotion must be solved in a fair way. So there is no country without or with very few teams in the league. The Champions league spots should be given to the winner of the league and the best/next best team from each country. Because I dont want to see a country without a team in CL.

I dont agree about the scandinavian league. Your leagueposition should decide if your worthy playing in the CL or not. As a joint scandinavian league, all clubs should be threated primarily like scandinavian clubs competitionwise, not swedish, norwegian and danish clubs. And no matter if we have three swedish, norwegian or danish clubs from the scandinavian league in CL, or a combination, all other clubs in the league will benefit from their success becouse of the tougher competition, higher popularity (attendance, sponsors, tv-contracts).

When it comes to keeping it so that there is always a minimal amount of clubs from every country in the league. That can be discussed if it is or is not fair. The question is if its possible at all to do in any other way, becouse lets say two clubs from each of the second division (6 clubs in total) qualify for the promotion/relegation league of the scandinavian first league. There has to be an equal amount from every country which doesnt make it/becomes relegated so that there is the same number of clubs in the first divisions next year.

In sweden we had a southern/northern division 1 (second division at that time) a couple of years ago, how did that work? Becouse maybe this could work the same way, even though there would be three and not two second divisions

·
囧!
10,878 Posts
AKing said:
Natural clubs in a joint scandinavian league (first division) that immediately makes it water frenetically around the mouth are:

- GAIS (Sweden)
- Rosenborg (Norway)
- Vålerengen (Norway)
- FC Köpenhamn (Denmark)
- Bröndby (Denmark)
- Hammarby IF (Sweden)
- Malmö FF (Sweden)
- AIK (Sweden)

Teams which eventually qualify/establish to the league are:

- Norrköping(Sweden)
- IF Elfsborg(Sweden)
- IFK Göteborg(Sweden)
- ÖIS(Sweden)
- Helsingborgs IF(Sweden)
- FC Lyn (Norway)
- Ålborg (Denmark)
- Århus (Denmark)
- Lilleström (Norway)
- Viking FK (Norway)
- SK Brann (Norway)
- AaB (Denmark)
- FC Midtjylland (Denmark)
:lol:
Are you fucking out of your mind!?

·
Registered
2,332 Posts
Why? My opinion as to which teams would add most to the league. With Roland "Rolle" Nilsson as manager, we, GAIS, will be at the top of allsvenskan next season ^^. Like the good old days... no matter how many times SvFF and others make GAIS fall were back. In the early days of swedish football, like the first decade of the 20th century, GAIS were relegated from the first league becouse they thought there where to many clubs from Göteborg in the league and wanted to decentralise it. And they relegated GAIS altough they werent the lowest positioned club in the league from Göteborg! Some of those in the decisive organistaions were from IFK Göteborg, GAIS had no people in these organisations those days. But GAIS came back and after the ten first season of Allsvenskan GAIS clearly had the lead in the marathontable (and a lot of GAIS players helped Swedish national team. A note is that at one time in the twenties (if i remember correctly), the swedish national team, consisting only of stockholmsplayers, lost a game in Göteborg and got "outbooed", after that they invited Göteborg to gather a national team for Sweden and playbin stockholm to see if they would do better. That was i think the first time Göteborgplayers got the chance in the nationalteam which was run by stockholmbased SvFF, half of the team where from GAIS and half from IFK Göteborg, the tema one the first game in Stockholm and got a lot of cheers, after that most of these players made a career in the national team to and helped the national team to a lot of success, and ever since göteborgbasedplayers have represented Sweden), we will be there again one day i believe ;).

·
Registered
411 Posts
AKING
Great pics and info,
Its amazing whats happening in Sweden, and certainly needed.

I especially like the new Old Ullevi, which I believe will have permanent standing areas and also NOT meet UEFA standards on issues such as gap between the pitch and stands, but it simply doesnt matter as should the clubs qualify for europe, matches will simply be moved to New Ullevi across the street as other big matches are.
Is New Ullevi really certain to be expanded to 55,000?

21 - 40 of 541 Posts