SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3,545 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today was the official opening of the new and improved Harbour West so I decided to go and take some picture since today the weather was beautiful. Hope you enjoy!

In the past Pier 8 was an industrial site but over time factories closed down and the city started taking back the harbour and turned it into a beautiful park with waterfront trails.

Welcome to Pier 8!

The waterfront trail with "Hamilton Harbour Art Expressions" murals produced by Hamilton elementary students

Hamilton Harbour Queen boat. Cruises along the Hamilton Harbour

Can I get nominated for the “Awww Award” yet?

Canada Marine Discovery Centre

Trail runs behind the Discovery Centre

The beautiful High Level Bridge

Bectcha a lot of people know this bridge, Hamilton Skyway Bridge

Skyway Bridge is famous why? Because of the view below

At the right you can see Dundurn Castle

Today the Hamilton Waterfront Trail Extension was officially open

Work still needs to be done on the trail

Car show

Today was the ribbon cutting ceremony for the opening of Waterfront Scoops Ice Cream Parlour and expansion of Williams Coffee Pub

The new waterfront trolley - today was just a chance to get a look of the new trolley. The trolleys still need some work done on it.

That's our Canadian army sent to Caledonia to settle the native dispute lol

Wave bye bye to Pier 8

·
Registered
102 Posts
Prolly, man.
But you were most likely on the Waterfront trail on the OTHER side of the Yacht Club. The one that goes UNDER the High Level Bridge, right? I blade there a couple days a week!

Steeltown, awesome pix!!! I'm so jealous... did u get free hot dogs??

·
Registered
3,010 Posts
Nice pics... I like the one of the High Level bridge. It's hard to get a good photo of it (with my camera anyway).

They extended the trail east of the Discovery Centre???? I had no idea. How far does it go now?

Williams is awesome. Now there's ice cream there too... I might take the family tonight.

·
Registered
3,545 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Here's a map of the Waterfront trail which is where the trolley will be going along (HMCS Haida to Princess Point)

I think next year or 2 years from now the western extension of the Waterfront Trail will be complete. It'll connect from Haida to Royal Botanical Gardens

Yea I've been in the Marine Discovery Centre. Here's some pictures inside

I took the free hamburger instead of the hot dog. I'm currently doing my co-op job at a pork factory plant (chemistry/microbiology department) so yea I definitely stay away from eating hot dogs lol.

I got a new camera, Canon PowerShot S2 IS. This was my first time doing a photo thread with my new camera. With my old camera there was no way I would be able to get a picture of the High Level Bridge from Pier 8.

Thanx for the nice comments!

·
Banned
4,467 Posts
oh okay ya it was bayfront park to princess point that i rollerblade. wow it's so long now! and it's going to get even longer! that's awesome :)

·
Registered
4,596 Posts
Nice day to take those pics. One could easily get Hamilton confused with Toronto in those pics. Lots of activity at the Harbour West Park!

·
Registered
102 Posts
You still blade along that trail, Phunky??
I don't really know if there are any trails like that in Sauga, are there?

I know TO doesn't really. There's the lakeshore... but it's like 50% gravel, 40% torn up old pavement, 10% good stuff.

It's tough to find a smooth enough surface to blade on like the trails/roads here in Hamilton!

·
Registered
3,010 Posts
^ are you kidding me? You can rollerblade/bike from Etobicoke to almost Scarborough, with the exception of a few blocks downtown. Toronto has a fantastic waterfront trail. Large sections of it are even split into two: pedestrians on one and cyclists/bladers on the other. Hamiltons is no comparison.

·
Registered
102 Posts
No kidding, dude.
I'm in TO 2-3 days a week and blade downtown quite regularly.
I LOVE urban blading in that city, some ppl are crazy enough and actually have "rearview mirrors" attached to their wrists like a watch!
BUT
As far as blading on the shitty lakeshore trail, I have to say it really does suck! From a blader's point of view, of course! The gravel kills ur bearings, the potholes kill ur wheels (and knees when u fall haha), and there are actually sections that are pure DIRT/gravel where you have to "walk" (blades on) on the grass to avoid destroying them.

Sorry dude... but from a avid roller blader's perspective (it's my main mode of transport during summer/early fall), Toronto's lakefront trail truly does suck.
Nice views tho!

Interesting related link (this is NOT ME, btw hahaha)
http://ca.geocities.com/[email protected]/routes.htm

·
Registered
3,010 Posts
^ OK, I lived by the waterfront for a few years and I used the trails to go to work everyday. Gravel? I have no idea what you're talking about.

·
Registered
3,545 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I found a picture of what Pier 8 used to look like about 5 years ago. A big difference.

Basically Pier 8 was a big outdoor warehouse than the Port Authority donated the land to the city. After that the city quickly created a plan and got HMCS Haida, Waterfront Trail and Discovery Centre.

What Pier 8 cuurently looks like, you can see HMCS Haida at the botton right that's Pier 9.

The big warehouse building on the right has a proposal from LIUNA to be a multimillion-dollar European-style piazza of shops, eateries and residences (condo). LIUNA is still working out the plans.

LIUNA is too busy trying to get the Lister Block proposal approved from the city to complete the plan.

·
Registered
3,545 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Here's the article talking about the proposed piazza for Pier 8. I hope it becomes a reality.

European piazza plan afloat for Pier 8

A consortium of private interests wants to transform Pier 8 in Hamilton's west harbour into a multimillion dollar European-style piazza where people can work, live and play by the water.

And one of the key players of the group is LIUNA, the labour outfit that saved the city's old CN station by converting it into a stylish banquet centre.

Joe Mancinelli, vice-president of the Laborers International Union of North America, refuses to divulge details of the plan or who the other partners are because he says the project is still in its early stages.

"We've got work to do. We've got preliminary drawings. We're working with the architects to do further drawings and cost analysis. And we need to work with the city," Mancinelli said.

"Even though it would be private money and possibly even a foreign government involved in this project, the city owns the land and has a lot to say as to how they want this development to go forward."

Mancinelli did not disclose what foreign government is interested, but it's believed to be Italy.

He said the concept, which he describes as an exciting mix of residential and commercial space with a piazza-like square as a focal point, is being designed by some of the most prominent architects in the country.

Mayor Larry Di Ianni, who recently got a peek at some of the drawings, is impressed by the plan and LIUNA's track record of success.

But Di Ianni cautions the city will need to see a solid business case before getting aboard this or any other proposal for developing the west harbour, some of the most valuable publicly-owned property in the city.

"LIUNA's involvement brings credibility to the project but their involvement alone, and that of others as well, isn't sufficient without a business case and financing plan. They understand that and they know they need to put it together," Di Ianni said.

Pier 8, a 12-hectare piece of land at the foot of James Street North, is where the new Marine Discovery Centre, which opens Saturday, is located. Between the centre and HMCS Haida at Pier 9, there are roughly 21 hectares of land available.

Various other development proposals are said to be in the works for the area, but the LIUNA project is the first to be coaxed into the light.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts