Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
77,998 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
well had to happen sooner or later. The 15storey/55m high former ADC House (1964) @ 189 kent St is to be converted to apartments with 3 additonal floors.its the last of the untouched towers along the Kent st wall.
there is a 14m height dif from rear Gas lane and kent st, so height above gas Lane is 14m+55m=69m.
DA will come in soon, so no model or renders yet.

pic i took 2 years ago from Quay West

·
Registered
77,998 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
wow, a reply! 1 reply ,90 views. lol.
sorry its not about a new 235m skyscraper planned for george st but you have to look at reality!
let me know if you dont want threads like this one. not sure if anyone is interested?

·
328 Posts
CULWULLA said:
sorry its not about a new 235m skyscraper planned for george st but you have to look at reality!
let me know if you dont want threads like this one. not sure if anyone is interested?
usually i would make an irreverent odd reply or something, but there is only so many i can make ;p

really though like peter had no idea what to add! i am interested though.

·
5,336 Posts
CULWULLA said:
I am pleased to hear this and will be glad to see the last of the fuglies that once populated this stretch of Kent St put to rest (Caltex, Esso, IBM etc) :)

Will be interesting to see what they do on the west-facing frontage, which has a large blank wall, despite the views over the water afforded by such a location. I think the blank wall is because of an adjoining heritage building? Can't quite remember.

·
Registered
8,590 Posts
I would have liked to have seen at least one of the ol' 60s fuglies remain. I've never minded their quirky style. Bit of history gone forever. :no: Then again, amidst all the newer spruce-ups, it just looks frumpy.

·
Registered
77,998 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
no renders as yet or model, but wont be long.
finn- im pretty sure the west face now will have balcs as well as great views.

·
Registered
20,145 Posts
We read even if we don't comment so keep up the good work.
The only one of those buildings I regret going is the IBM which was distinctive and a positive attempt to deal with the problems associated with Sydney's abundant sunlight. The original Caltex Building was historically (in terms of architecture) interesting given its "modernism" at the time; it was built in 1956, I think, but it is gone now TSTBO.

·
Streetwalker
7,028 Posts
Thank goodness and about time. This area had a bunch of these things. :(

·
Registered
77,998 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
the DA was submitted today. the new tower has 5 more storeys added and will be now 84m/28lev from rear lane or 70m/23lev from kent st. The model is in. ill try and get a pic. nothing amazing. just another resi tower.

·
Registered
77,998 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
as you can see, nothing special.
if it does get built there will alot of nimbys complaining about the planned towers in EDH.

some model pix

the wall is nearly complete

1 - 20 of 54 Posts