Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Galactic Ruler
6,857 Posts
lol suck that councils... maybe its time abolish some of them and regroup them under one supercouncil.

We certainly dont want to loose the car dealers though, best range of imports and showy cars in Sydney.

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
Why don't they increase the density around the train stations instead of along the highway? Doesn't increasing the density along the highway cause more traffic jam because people have no choice but drive?

·
Registered
820 Posts
^
Not if the plan includes better public transport. It states there'll be one extra train station and bus lanes(maybe Light Rail in the future).

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
There are so many train stations in the inner west that are not utilised properly.
They are wasting the infrastructure we already have.

·
Registered
8,590 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
My understanding is that they want to strip back chunks of Parramattta Rd, and then add to it, so it's not a case of just adding.

Some new scrapers along the way, mainly residential and the further development of Burwood as a fully-fledged satellite CBD.

Although personally I'm not for power taken away form councils by The State, it is great for things to get done as far as large scale developments go. We slowly see the perimeters of Sydney controlled in this fashion.

·
skyscraper connoisseur
6,206 Posts
Lightrail along Paramatta Rd will be perfect. We just need more residential/commercial and retail blocks.

·
Jacaranda Images
1,043 Posts
I spoke to the Mayor of Leichhardt today as I was approached to appear on TEN News on the matter.

The story itself is rather inaccurate - as the setting up of the corporation was but one of 3 planning models on the table to discuss. No one model has been approved, endorsed or implemented yet.

·
Sydney: World's best city
40,696 Posts
Muse said:
My understanding is that they want to strip back chunks of Parramattta Rd, and then add to it, so it's not a case of just adding.

Some new scrapers along the way, mainly residential and the further development of Burwood as a fully-fledged satellite CBD.

Although personally I'm not for power taken away form councils by The State, it is great for things to get done as far as large scale developments go. We slowly see the perimeters of Sydney controlled in this fashion.
They are mooting more development within the Ashfield shopping centre as it's not too far off Parramatta Rd.

I don't really want to say much on it as I'd like to see some more info in regards to what they want to do including some renders and how they will tackle the congestion that grips the road on the daily basis. I believe the M4 East should be built with Parramatta Rd turned into a PT corridor. It sounds like it's a promising proposal at present.

·
Streetwalker
7,028 Posts
About bloody time. The length of Parramatta is huge and could quite easily hold large blocks of apartments from the city all the way down to Parramatta on both sides. All you need is for Parrmamatta road to become a long public transport hub of either trams or buses. Normal traffic should be shoved onto the M4 once the missing city link between Concord and Haberfield is built.

Parramatta Road, along with Princess Hwy are the biggest waste of potential and this was the only way to make this a great promenade instead of a stupid rundown strip of crappy caryards and industry and under utilised commercial/retail strips.

So far the only council that has made a possitive transformation of Parramatta Rd is Strathfield Council. On its stretch a number of new highrise apartment blocks have risen on former caryards and abandoned industries, in particular on the Homebush stretch. Many more new ones are underway. This is what all councils along Parramatta Rd need to do and I'm glad the NSW state government is grabbing the initiative once and for all. :)

·
, , and , Fade to Black.
7,974 Posts
Really I see this road as a waste land so little can be done to save it
IT need goverment contorl as not only is the problem spread across so many councils but fixing will benfit the entire city. Its bigger than a few councils. I am so happy to see the state gov taking control and hope it happens far far more often

·
Registered
2,085 Posts
SinCity said:
About bloody time. The length of Parramatta is huge and could quite easily hold large blocks of apartments from the city all the way down to Parramatta on both sides. All you need is for Parrmamatta road to become a long public transport hub of either trams or buses. Normal traffic should be shoved onto the M4 once the missing city link between Concord and Haberfield is built.

Parramatta Road, along with Princess Hwy are the biggest waste of potential and this was the only way to make this a great promenade instead of a stupid rundown strip of crappy caryards and industry and under utilised commercial/retail strips.

So far the only council that has made a possitive transformation of Parramatta Rd is Strathfield Council. On its stretch a number of new highrise apartment blocks have risen on former caryards and abandoned industries, in particular on the Homebush stretch. Many more new ones are underway. This is what all councils along Parramatta Rd need to do and I'm glad the NSW state government is grabbing the initiative once and for all. :)

The 'other end' of Parra rd is also getting transformed too i.e the Glebe / Camperdown end. A number of recently finished 4-5 storey apartments have gone up opposite SYdney Uni, nothing all that beautiful though.

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
"Four lanes of traffic reduced to three to allow bus and tram lanes"

Oh yeah, that's exactly what we need, make the road narrower which is already narrow!!

·
Registered
606 Posts
Matixvolta said:
Lightrail along Paramatta Rd will be perfect. We just need more residential/commercial and retail blocks.
I agree.With 5-10 min interval services.

·
skyscraper connoisseur
6,206 Posts
I'm just happy that i don't use Parramatta Rd frequently. The retail strip along that congested rd is pretty dead. Motels, car shops, mechanics, etc.

·
Registered
20,006 Posts
Having watched for several DECADES as various councils and govt bodies come up with the latest hotshot idea for Parramatta Road, I've come to the conclusion that only a dictatorship of some sort will ever actually get it done. All previous schemes have foundered on bickering over minor details, conflicting agenda and bureaucratic knot tying as well as the faltering of will when confronted by the complexity of the project. I think it's going to take Big Boots to stomp in on local council sensitivities otherwise it will stay much the same, quietly mouldering away when I am long gone.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts