SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hoping for some help here...
There is a building on York Street (or is it Clarence Street?) behind Wynyard Station which I believe now houses the RTA. It has a green facade, maybe built in the 1930's ? Anyway, it is, IMHO a beautiful structure. I sat on a park bench for about 1/2 hour across the street from it just admiring for about 1/2 hour one day. Am hoping someone might be able to provide me with some history of the building.
Thanks!

·
Jacaranda Images
1,043 Posts
...And it was used as Metropolis Hospital in the filming of the Superman movie a few weeks ago...

·
Registered
77,024 Posts
yes ,Its a lovely 30's highrise!
the TRANSPORT HOUSE was completed in 1936 and was the most modern highrise in Sydney!! The 13storey/52m high scraper has a 60m/200ft long frontage to York Street.
The facade is faced with green terracotta blocks and mouldings with windows and trim in contrasting dark bronze. It was originally called-Railway House.
heres a pic i took last year>

heres a pic in its hey day!
view from inside Scots Church
Frank Hurley

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
that's it!
Thanks Heaps Culwulla. Fox1 suggested I post the question here and she also thought that you, having heaps of knowledge would know the answer!
Again, thanks so much. I hope to go traipsing around inthe building in a couple weeks toime for a look see.

·
original
1,219 Posts
I too love this building! ;) :cool: ...has been one of my faves.... well... you know what I mean. I like it being there!... since the days when I used to go in there very often in my high school days (not every day...). If I was organized I was on the ferry. by the way I'm a
;)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts