SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Quite an interesting article, that hopefully will stir up a bit of a commotion.

Sorry if it has already been posted, i had a browse but couldnt find anything.

http://www.smh.com.au/news/National/The-citys-fix-list/2005/05/29/1117305504228.html

From the Herald's Editor
Today the Herald launches a campaign to fix Sydney. A campaign to fix its water, air, urban development and transport. It is time for a boldness lacking for 50 years.

Without that boldness Sydney is in danger of going nowhere fast, of squandering an enviable urban legacy and of severely curtailing our economic and civic success. This week we spell out how three decades of small thinking have brought us to a point where urgent action is needed. On Saturday we'll start on the solutions, many straightforward, many far-sighted.

We need a big plan for water; a plan for more liveable suburbs and more viable commercial centres; a plan to link them by a transport network that is fit for a large, growing city; a plan that embodies actions for air; a plan that will need a revolution in how we finance it and how we run it.

This is a city rich in wealth but not ambition. We hope this new ambition will power Sydney's Metropolitan Strategy, now being formulated, and also our leaders' resolve, from both sides of politics, to invest in our future. In coming months we will use our blueprints for best practice to evaluate government responses.

We have consulted many of the city's best brains to put the blueprints together. We are inviting many to write for us to help mount the case, we're commissioning studies and we'll hold public meetings. This is a campaign we hope earns a life outside the Herald. It is a campaign not for one set of interest groups or ideals, but a campaign for Sydney.

·
5,158 Posts
It's a massive campaign, and an important one I think. The current State Government needs to be put under some pressure to perform - they have become far too complacent in their position IMHO.

This pic accompanies the article and I was wondering if anyone knows where this particular area of housing is located?? The lots look soooo tight and despite the different roof tiles, bricks and ornamental features, all the houses look ridiculously the same! The estates in the Hills District generally are an improvement (although only slightly) on this, so I think this may be in the South West somewhere...like Prestons or Horningsea Park perhaps??

·
Registered
1,696 Posts
That is the best article i have read on Sydney's current and future state (and problems) ever. I hope it really gets alot of public attention and provides impetus to change. Especially regarding PT, and the article provides some startling and sobering stats on that front.

·
Registered
8,590 Posts
Wherever that pic is, I doubt whether they'll be building anything over 3 floors or any subway lines ;)

This is so important. Without a decent infrastructure in place, a city cannot prosper and progress on so many levels.

·
5,158 Posts
wowsim said:
That is the best article i have read on Sydney's current and future state (and problems) ever. I hope it really gets alot of public attention and provides impetus to change. Especially regarding PT, and the article provides some startling and sobering stats on that front.
Well, this article appeared on the front page of the Herald and dominated it, so if that doesn't raise the attention of the public then nothing will!! :)

·
PTnut
588 Posts
They're asking for public participation!!

http://www.smh.com.au/news/General/Contact-us/2005/05/29/1117305503426.html

For me, it's a dream come true. For the SMH, they're going to get a lot of crappy, bullshit and useless emails from ppl wanting an extension of the monorail.

Time to start writing up a nice essay. Or I could just use an old uni assignment. :D

Now I'm curious to see how the Daily Telegraph will react. With its contradictory pro-car but yet pro-trains stance. Personally, I think they just like to give Railcorp the shits rather than suggest anything useful.

·
Registered
551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yup i just sent off a quick email to them, basically stating that it is essential that we now pursue a grander public transport network, and promote it more heavily, to combat oil prices and to make the city a more efficient place.

I suggest we all do the same (each expressing our own opinions tho)!

·
Galactic Ruler
6,855 Posts
smeghead said:
ppl wanting an extension of the monorail.
LOL I might just have to write in and request this now. Anyway what's wrong with monorail if done properly?

I am just going to send this to the Herald...

·
Registered
953 Posts
It's wonderful to see urban planning issues on the front page of Sydney's best newspaper. A real indication of how important this issue is to Sydney. Kudos to SMH for doing this and having the foresight to do something like this. I hope it stimulates thoughtful discussion on the topic...

·
skyscraper connoisseur
6,206 Posts
LOL I might just have to write in and request this now. Anyway what's wrong with monorail if done properly?

I am just going to send this to the Herald...
How much is it to contruct a mountain 5000m tall?

:D

1 - 12 of 12 Posts