SkyscraperCity banner

381 - 387 of 387 Posts

·
18,252 Posts
Premier pulls the plug on stadium refurb

The Berejiklian government has dumped its controversial plan to redevelop ANZ Stadium and will redirect the $800 million saving to a new $3 billion Infrastructure and Job Acceleration Fund for "shovel-ready" projects to reboot the state's shattered economy.

The government said the stadium refurbishment remained a sensible project that was supported by voters at the election, but no longer made sense given the health and economic consequences of the coronavirus pandemic.

·
Registered
33,286 Posts
Wow, that is a major setback for these plans which will now be shelved for the upcoming years I suppose. :(

·
Registered
9,831 Posts
Wow, that is a major setback for these plans which will now be shelved for the upcoming years I suppose. :(
It is not a big preoblem.

The NRL would prefer the money be spent building 4-5 smaller local stadiums.

ANZ stadium is not in desperate need of the upgrade.

·
Registered
9,407 Posts
Well, this is bad news for anyone who is just getting used to the idea of the Sydney area no longer having a large venue for oval-sports events (larger than the Sydney Cricket Ground, anyway).

And here's something I was going to ask earlier, before the news broke of the revamp not going forward: Why reduce the new capacity to 70,000 from 75,000? I don't think 70K will be enough for a FIFA WC final (which I used to think requires at least an 80K capacity). Get the capacity below that, and you might as well give the final to Melbourne.

381 - 387 of 387 Posts