SkyscraperCity banner

1 - 20 of 2638 Posts

·
جنوبي حر
1,854 Posts
^^very nice pics !!!
but isn't like melbourne ahead of sydney in terms of culture, fashion, tourism, entertainment...etc ?????????

·
Registered
13,090 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Most cities in Australia provide a unique sense of culture, fashion and entertainment. I would say that Sydney is the hub of culture, and entertainment. Melbourne the hub of fashion, and sport. With the Gold Coast being the hub of tourism.

Either way, Sydney is Australia's world city, our showcase city, and the city which gets the most attention and is generally the most well known and widely recognised.

·
Registered
539 Posts
^^very nice pics !!!
but isn't like melbourne ahead of sydney in terms of culture, fashion, tourism, entertainment...etc ?????????
Erm, no. They like to say so, though. Melbourne's great but suffers somewhat from 'second city syndrome', meaning many of its residents talk it up and exaggerate their city's attributes/importance, often by way of 'one-upmanship' comparisons to Sydney.

·
original
1,219 Posts
Sydney is more flashy in most ways than Melbourne. It is the capital of "having a good time", enjoying hedonistic pursuits, spending money and so on.

Melbourne does have a LOT going for it. It's one of the best places to actually live in the world because of the great multiculturalism, restaurants, gardens, narrow streets, architecture, quaint old trams downtown and inner city, boutiques and shops. It is more of an acquired taste and less "in your face" than Sydney.

·
Registered
2,108 Posts
^^very nice pics !!!
Culture yes I would definitely say so. Melbourne has far better arts venues than Sydney and more of them. Ask anyone in the arts Melbournians tend to attend international art exhibitions and performances more than sydney siders. Sydney is a very out doorsy city I think and is a little less interested in arts.

Melbourne is also ahead of sydney in terms of live music performances around the city.

·
original
1,219 Posts
^^average sights in sydney!

Introducing Melbourne

Sophisticated and slick, edgy and rough, Melbourne’s physical and cultural landscape is shaped by a dynamic population, ever-ravenous for a bite of global culture. The result is Australia’s most accessible multiculturalism. Ornate Victorian-era architecture and leafy, established boulevards reflect the city’s history, and cutting-edge developments such as Federation Sq exemplify its enigmatic contemporary style. But, Melburnians still keep their urban frenzy to a deliciously sedate pace. Trams lumber back and forth on routes radiating out like spokes from central Melbourne, and cycling is a common way to get from A to Z.
source: lonely planet | melbourne

·
جنوبي حر
1,854 Posts
loving the pics !!! :)

i didn't know my post would trigger so many responces ....hehehehe :lol:
anyway that is not my opinion that is just what i hear from here and there :)

·
جنوبي حر
1,854 Posts
^^ i think he posted this just to point out the difference in responce to my earlier post !!! :)

·
34,000 Posts

·
Registered
2,402 Posts
^^very nice pics !!!
I've lived in both cities and Sydney is ahead in the tourism stakes with it's great beaches as well as a financial services hub.

Fashion, culture, arts, food, live music and major events would be Melbourne.

Sydney's great and all but suffers from post Olympic syndrome and many of its residents talk it up and exaggerate the city's attributes/importance making them sound more important than they really are. What would really make Sydney perfect is if they just erected a giant head stone on Central Station. Sydney should start getting used to being second at everything from now on. :)

·
Registered
1,655 Posts
This thread is just going to turn into a city bashing thread I hate it both Melbourne and Sydney are great cities Australia is lucky to have both of them :)

·
Registered
865 Posts
Sydney & Melbourne are wonderful cities and I think anyone would be lucky to live in either city.

Thanks for posting these gorgeous photos! I never get tired of viewing photos of any Australian cities. There just seems to be so much to like down under. :eek:kay:

·
Registered
13,090 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Awesome set of photos. You have IMAX in Australia? I didn't know they had any internationally. I especially like this one:
Yep that IMAX has the largest screen in the world too :)

This thread is just going to turn into a city bashing thread I hate it both Melbourne and Sydney are great cities Australia is lucky to have both of them :)
Yeah :( That's why I tried to keep Melbourne out of it. :eek:hno:

1 - 20 of 2638 Posts