SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 20 of 109 Posts

·
I ♥ NSW 2150
I ❤ NSW 2150
1,848 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This may not be the appropriate forum to post this (if it isn't then tell me and I will start a new thread), but I just wanted to share with you guys in the Ozscrapers forum something I've been working on in the past few months (I started in January and still haven't yet finished)
It's a scale model of Sydney CBD!

·
Registered
12,866 Posts
I'm proud of you : ) When I was in my late teens I bought lots of balsa wood and made scale model of the AMP (St James project ) when it was the tallest building here in Melbourne. I had found RLs for every street intersection of the CBD and was going to make a graded platform to place each model so to increase realism..........then.........

·
I ♥ NSW 2150
I ❤ NSW 2150
1,848 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, I'm making this model out of paper and cardboard :) Also sorry for silly question, but what does RL mean? Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
76,985 Posts
looks cool xing. RL= relative level, so sydney isnt flat ,the land actually slopes up and down, so gonna be hard to show bldgs on a flat plain. heights of centre of CBD are up to 30m higher then areas near the water.

·
I ♥ NSW 2150
I ❤ NSW 2150
1,848 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks everyone for the help and comments. My Sydney model is flat Because it is hard to replicate terrain with paper. So my model will not be really accurate as Culwulla's.

·
Registered
76,985 Posts
^yeah what i did when i grew up making cities, i would make the roads first and have holes for the bldgs to drop in. but its up to you. doesnt really matter. looks good either way

·
i've changed my mind
3,851 Posts
are there many of you out there cul? do you go to city model making conferences and what not? does each capital in australia have a model maker?

·
I ♥ NSW 2150
I ❤ NSW 2150
1,848 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
@Danubis lol there actually are quite a few city modelers over at the Scale Model forums. As far as I know, DTSky is doing Sioux Falls, MHX, Tim and Made in NL are all doing NYC, CNTower246810 is doing Las Vegas and Toronto, Alexenergy is doing Moscow CBD and Russian Sam did Shreveport, OKC, Tulsa and is doing Dallas. I'm the only one there doing something from Australia though.
@Mornnb I'll be doing CBD Centre and South as soon as I get CBD North done:)

·
Registered
76,985 Posts
xing lin, great job. they look good.
danubis-there are many commercial modellers. out there. not many councils have inhouse modellers. i am only physical modeller now. the other 3 collegues are now in 3D.
most cities now have a scale model but most of time get commercial modllers to add to the display.
ive dabled in scale carboard models. im in middle now of producing a press out book for kids,"create your own town". i made them myself when i was young. tou have to use thicker paper though. normal paper isnt good enough.
kids love making things and creating your own townscape would be rewarding for a 6yr old. easy press out and fold tabs and glue.

·
I ♥ NSW 2150
I ❤ NSW 2150
1,848 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I actually do use normal paper for my buildings because it's easier to fold.It doesn't really bend as much for me because my models are small (1:3148)

My templates are in 1:1889 though, because that's the general scale at the Scale Models forum

·
Registered
1,460 Posts
Wow. I didn't gey the sense of how small they were until you posted that pic with the coin. I'm even more impressed now.

·
Registered
76,985 Posts
yes they are tiny, you can still fold thicker paper.
i use 160g/m2
normal paper is 80g/m2.
love it

·
I ♥ NSW 2150
I ❤ NSW 2150
1,848 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
^ I agree with you. Cardstock works pretty well for larger models like these (also 1:3148)

·
Registered
76,985 Posts
awesome

1 - 20 of 109 Posts