SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
77,001 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
it was a nice old church. never good when a church burns down.

Roads closed as church burns
May 10, 2006
AN historic church was engulfed in flames this morning and several hundred people were evacuated from a nearby hostel in Sydney's inner suburbs, firefighters said.

Crews were called to St Barnabas Church, Broadway, about 3.30am (AEST) when fire broke out in the landmark building and neighbouring hall.
About 300 people had to be evacuated from the nearby UniLodge building, and Broadway was closed to city-bound traffic as 15 fire trucks attended the scene.

Early today, Superintendent Chris Jurgeit said firefighters were still trying to extinguish the fire near the corner of Broadway and Mountain St.

"Our first arriving crews found the church totally engulfed in fire (and) the fire spread into the church hall adjoining," Supt Jurgeit said.

"We had serious concerns the fire could spread into a building called UniLodge, which is an accommodation type building, but fortunately we were good enough to be able to stop the fire from getting into there.

"We're still conducting a fairly aggressive campaign to put the fire out in the church and church hall."
It was not known how the fire started. There were no reports of injuries.
The church was to celebrate its 150th anniversary next year.

in its hey day

·
Registered
5,057 Posts

St Barnabas' Church in flames.

Historic church destroyed in fire
Sydney Morning Herald
By Jano Gibson
10 May 2006 - 6:51AM

Hundreds of innercity residents were evacuated overnight as an historic church went up in flames.

"At 3.30am we received numerous triple O's as well as an automatic fire alarm and on arrival our crews found St Barnabas' Church [on Broadway] totally involved in fire," Superintendent Chris Jurgeit said.

He said an adjoining two-level hall, which was in close proximity to Broadway's Uni Lodge building, was also alight.

"We were fearful of the fire spreading into that accommodation building. We evacuated 300 people from there."

More than 60 fire fighters, using ten pumping appliances and three ladder trucks, fought the blaze and were able to prevent the fire from spreading to the accomodation building.

"We stopped the fire from spreading into that building. Unfortunately we couldn't save the church. Unfortunately there was a lot of damage done to the church hall as well."

Mr Jurgeit said at least two people had reported hearing explosions about the same time the church caught fire.

"There was some reports of an explosion in the church at the time we were notified of the fire. We've got a fire investigator on scene at the moment."

Once the church's walls have been stabilised, an investigation will begin into the cause of the fire.

"Fire investigators [will] go in and possibly use a K9 accelerant dog to sniff for petrols and things like that."

The fire forced the closure of all four Broadway lanes in the area but Mr Jurgeit said it would reopen by about 6.40am.

The RTA's Traffic Management Centre said motorists using Broadway would experience only minor delays this morning.

St Barnabas' Church was also well known for its ongoing sign board battle with the nearby Broadway Hotel.

Here are some examples that have appeared in the Herald's Column 8 section over the years:

- THE battle of wits between the Broadway Hotel and St Barnabas' Church up the road has joined in on the Christmas spirit. The church sign reads: ``Wise men came to Jesus - they still do.'' To which the hotel has replied: ``Wise drinkers come to Broadway - they still do.''

- THE battle of the Broadway sign boards rages on. At St Barnabas' Church is a sign that reads: ``You have nothing that God did not give you.'' Across the road at the Broadway Hotel is another sign that reads: ``I know I have nothing, but I'm not sure who gave it to me.''

- SUN pun - At St Barnabas' Church on Broadway, a large Easter sign outside says: ``The Father did not spare his son but gave him up for us all.'' Across the road, at the Broadway Hotel, is a sign which reads: ``And behold, all we have is the Mirror''.

- IN the election spirit, the latest message from St Barnabas' Church, Broadway, reads: ``God keeps his promises.''

·
Registered
8,590 Posts
Oh no! That church is famous.

Seems no one was injured.

I have to pass there tomorrow and I'll get a pic of the damage to post out of interest, ungratuitous. This is horrible.

·
Streetwalker
7,028 Posts
^^ I haven't seen if there is anything left of it but it appears they will pull it down. Hence its gone for good. :(

·
Here Since 2002
7,261 Posts
So no hope of reconstruction? Or is the city going to suck all of the history out of the lot?

·
A Christchurch Son
4,530 Posts
I remember that church when I lived in Sydney! It was famed for its sign battles. Gave you a good feeling knowing that the people in it were trying and doing some good for the community. I only hope they can rebuild.

As said before it is not good when a church building burns down for many reasons.

150 years is a lot of European history in Australasia

Rebuild St Barnabas!!!

·
Registered
77,001 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
im not sure what will happen to it. It actually wasnt heritage listed. a shame to leave the site empty.

·
Registered
3,813 Posts
I have a friend who is member of the parish there and according to her they are defintely going to rebuild, they are still unsure of whether what is left can be salvaged but even if the whole thing has to come down they will be building a bigger and better church.

What I want to know is where is that poor homeless guy that sleeps in that little hut adjoined to the building on Mountain St, where is he going to go and it is winter now .... poor thing :eek:(

·
Be the Love Generation
642 Posts
At least he wouldn't have felt the cold that night (sorry, I could resist).

Was the church insured?

I can't help feeling a little cynical and think that the plot might just end up being sold off if the funds aren't there to rebuild.

·
Registered
3,813 Posts
I had that feeling too, but they have said they are getting donations already and havent even asked for any yet, and I cant see Clover letting it be sold off when it was such a community value plus with the history the site has.
Does anyone know what still stands? and any pics?

·
Registered
77,001 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
ive had a chat to our heritage officer and the church was heritage listed under south sydney lep. The 4 walls are still intact and look like being saved and intergrated into the new church structure. not sure when this will be. the site will have to be fully inspected and assessed.

·
Registered
8,590 Posts
Took the pics below today. I saw 3 other people taking snaps of it too.

More info including links to articles on the tragedy @ St Barnabas Church under the title "In The Media". Also there are pics of the exterior & interior before the blaze, pics of the blaze & the aftermath under "Older Material".

·
Registered
8,590 Posts
I can't help feeling a little cynical. It is such a popular area for new apartment developments that it wouldn't surprise me that it was, well...you know.

·
Streetwalker
7,028 Posts
^^ LOL. I was thinking the same thing. :D

Certainly a nice L shaped block close to a main thoroughfare .......

1 - 16 of 16 Posts