Registered
77,305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
one for auslankan ;-)

·
Registered
77,305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
unexpected? lol sydney is the major city of southern hem. will always be. its closer to northern hem.lol

·
Registered
5,274 Posts
hahahahahaha

Tell us somthing we didnt already know.

Auslankan the second, welcome to the forums.

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
What Sydney only 14th! shit now that is a shocker! When even the Sydney mods push the place you would think it was #1 in the entire universe.:lol:
By the way I have never claimed that Melboure is bigger than Sydney or is the finiancial centre but it is interesting that Nine (9 ) of the top 25 cities are in the USA.Just goes to show how massive the US economy is!

·
Galactic Ruler
6,857 Posts
I think Sydney needs to do more. We really need to pull out all stops and topple Singapore ... somehow.

·
Registered
1,965 Posts
^ Sydney is home to larger companies, a large stock exchange (3x), larger derivatives market (10x), a larger non-government bond market, Sydney has a larger GDP than Singapore and a far greater number of local investment banks.

We are already above the city state.

However, these rankings will always put Singapore higher because of trade. 99% of Australia's trade is not done in its capital cities.

·
Registered
1,696 Posts
^^ Lol I love "the major" city in the southern hemisphere....I think someone should get in contact with South America and Africa and make them understand that Sydney is their major city and to start using it as their global hub for commerce and relations with the rest of the world..

·
Galactic Ruler
6,857 Posts
^^ Lol I love "the major" city in the southern hemisphere....I think someone should get in contact with South America and Africa and make them understand that Sydney is their major city and to start using it as their global hub for commerce and relations with the rest of the world..

LOL I am sure they will be thrilled.

·
Registered
539 Posts
14th is a great position, as Sydney is far from the 14the largest city in the world, however I am very dubious about these kind of polls. Anyway, here's the full 1-50 list for those interested:

1 London
3 Tokyo
4 Chicago
5 Hong Kong
6 Singapore
7 Frankfurt
8 Paris
9 Seoul
10 Los Angeles
11 Amsterdam
12 Toronto
13 Boston
14 Sydney
15 Copenhagen
16 Madrid
17 Stockholm
18 San Francisco
19 Zurich
20 Atlanta
21 Miami
22 Houston
23 Washington D.C.
24 Berlin
25 Milan
26 Munich
27 Montreal
28 Vancouver
29 Brussels
30 Vienna
31 Dublin
32 Shanghai
33 Barcelona
34 Melbourne
35 Geneva
36 Bangkok
37 Dubai
38 Kuala Lumpur
39 Santiago
40 Budapest
41 Prague
42 Mexico City
43 Rome
44 Tel Aviv
45 Mumbai
46 Beijing
47 Johannesburg
48 Sao Paulo
49 Warsaw
50 Moscow

·
Galactic Ruler
6,857 Posts
We need to get above toronto and boston that's for sure. I know Singapore is considered an alpha city and rated very highly but I really don't think it belongs at that level. I am guessing as mentioned before it has alot to do with freight and it's concentrated citystate nature.

Unfortunately the only real direction is down the list as some of the larger emerging cities overtake us.

God Moscow is doing shit...

·
Registered
118 Posts
Vancouver ranking above melbourne...this survey is a crock!!! BTW that Sydney paper headline Cul posted confirms my theory - I smell fear. Sydney, apparently doesn't care about Melbourne but they obviously realise the game is up - Emerald City has lost its mojo and Melbourne (and Brisbane) know it!

1 - 20 of 34 Posts