SkyscraperCity Forum banner

SYDNEY: Cycleways and bike infrastructure

25775 Views 219 Replies 59 Participants Last post by  eddyb
Sydney cycleways move from plans to reality

The City of Sydney will substantially expand its cycleways with a number of implementation reports to go before Council for approval this month.

The City has committed $70 million for cycling works during the next four years, and is calling on the Federal Government to contribute $295 million to help a collaboration of 15 inner City councils build connecting cycleways.

The implementation program is part of the City's pledge to deliver 55km of separated cycleways as part of a 200km cycling network.

"We have now moved from the planning phase into the reality of delivering safe, convenient and accessible cycling infrastructure to get more Sydneysiders on their bikes," Lord Mayor Clover Moore MP said today.

"The reality is we don't have a choice, there is an urgent need for investment in sustainable urban infrastructure as we face the threat of global warming and a world financial crisis."

"Priority must be given to investing in green infrastructure - projects which will make our urban areas more sustainable and better equipped for the future - while providing health improvements, jobs for our community and benefits for the economy."

"Developing cycling and walking as viable and attractive ways to get around the city, as real alternatives to driving a car, will help relieve pressure on our congested roads."

"More people are switching to bicycles to escape crowded public transport, reduce car usage, do something for the environment and get fit," Ms Moore said.

The Bureau of Transport Economics estimated that under a do-nothing scenario, the cost of congestion in Sydney would rise from about $3.6 billion per annum in 2005 to $8 billion per annum in 2020.

The implementation program involves:

- Prioritising up to 35 kilometres of separated cycleways on local streets that could commence construction as early as 2009. This would involve minor work on local streets, separating cyclists from moving traffic and parked vehicles. Cycle lanes would be painted green.

- Commencing design work on a shared pedestrian and bicycle path adjacent to Hyde Park on College Street in the CBD, to greatly improve safety for pedestrians and cyclists. Initial design plans will be considered by Council on Monday 15 December.

- Pushing the Federal Government's Infrastructure Australia to fund a 245km Inner Sydney Regional cycle network of separated cycleways worth $295M across 15 inner city local councils. This would provide a network from Willoughby in the north to Rockdale in the south and Canada Bay in the west.

- Building Sydney's first separated cycleway on King Street in the CBD. This provides a critical link into the City for cyclists from the inner west. Construction is due to be complete in mid 2009.

- Consulting with the local community to develop detailed designs for a 4.3km separated cycleway on Bourke St from Zetland to Woolloomooloo. Subject to endorsement by Council on Monday 15 December, construction could commence in mid-2009.

- Consulting with the community on designs for a new cycleway along Union Street, Pyrmont. The public exhibition period ends on Wednesday 3 December.

- Consulting with the local community on a new separated cycleway proposed for Missenden Road, Camperdown.

- The City of Sydney is well advanced in its feasibility study on introducing a bicycle hire service, initially for the CBD and later as a network across metropolitan Sydney. Research by the City has found more than 80 per cent of people favour the introduction of a public bike hire service, and one in three said they would definitely use it.

Ms Moore said the City aims to create a cycling network across Sydney safe enough for a child to use.

"We want to create the infrastructure so more people use cycling as a means of ordinary, everyday transport," Ms Moore said.

"As the major centres for greenhouse gas emissions, cities are where we have to make real changes that will enable us to survive on this planet. We have to re-imagine how we live and get around our cities.

"This implementation program is testament to our promise to get on with the job, after a long period of talking and consultation.

"Following detailed research, extensive consultation, and a rigorous design process, we are applying world's best cycleway practices, customised for Sydney's unique streets."

http://www.sydneymedia.com.au/html/3785-sydney-cycleways-move-from-plans-to-reality.asp?orig=Home
------------

I think that $295m will be money well spent if Federal government funds this. People should be encouraged to peddle for commuting. It is far quicker and safer than travelling by public transport or cars.
1 - 20 of 220 Posts
And here's an article about this particularly idiotic idea:

Sydney bike plan: shared pavements

An artist's impression by the council of how a shared pavement would operate.

Pedestrians will have to share the pavement with cyclists under a bike path plan the City of Sydney council is considering for a busy CBD street.

Under the proposal, the College Street footpath between Liverpool and Macquarie streets would be widened to 2.4 metres and shared between walkers and bike riders, resulting in the loss of 52 parking spots.

At least 12 cyclists have been hit by cars or trucks on College Street between 2003 and 2007.

A council spokesman said the shared pathways would not have a painted line to separate bikes from pedestrians.

Cyclists would be encouraged to keep to the left, whether they were travelling north or south.

"The general rule is to keep to the left. It will slow all the traffic down and everyone will mingle at the same speed. There won't be a line on the ground so it will take a bit of understanding from everyone involved," he said.

The shared pathway model will require "a cultural change, a behavioural change from pedestrians, cyclists and motorists", said the council's director of City Projects, Michael Leyland and will be considered by the council on December 15.

Councillor John McInerney, chair of the council's traffic committee, called for riders to stick to a 10kmh speed limit on the shared path.

"Of course, there will always be the odd rogue cyclist or even the rogue pedestrian," he said.

"But we want to mirror the European experience."

Harold Scruby from the Pedestrian Council said the plan would endanger walkers.

"I think we should offer $1000 prize money to the first person to see a cyclist doing 10kmh," he said.

"The long-term outcome will be that many pedestrians will be seriously injured and some will be killed."

The City of Sydney, flush with cash compared with other councils, is spending $70 million over four years on a cycling strategy, which will result in 55 kilometres of dedicated separated bike paths.

Construction on Sydney's first bi-directional, separated bike path has already begun in King Street in the CBD and plans for a similar facility on Bourke Street will be revised, after residents complained about the removal of trees.

The revised plan, under which fewer trees will be removed, will be assessed by the council this month and construction is expected to begin in June next year.

"We are expecting 350 bikes per hour on Bourke Street within 10 years," Cr McInerney said.

Designs for a new path along Union Street in Pyrmont are on the council's website.

Another separated bike path is proposed for Missenden Road, Camperdown.

The two-way cycle paths, to be painted green and separated from the car lane by a row of bollards, are also planned for Newtown, Glebe, Redfern, Zetland, Darlington and Alexandria.

This style of path will constitute 35 kilometres of the council's promised 55 kilometres of cyclepaths.

The paths will not result in fewer car lanes but will mean the loss of 166 parking spots "but that's within the context of 30,000 spaces in the city", Cr McInerney said.

The council is also considering introducing a European style bike rental service in the CBD but would have to factor helmet hire into the plan.

The council is aiming for a 500 per cent increase in cycling over 10 years.

Alex Unwin from Bicycle NSW said increased cycling would increase "the levels of community health ... while addressing the great issue of our times, global warming".

http://www.smh.com.au/news/national/sydney-bike-plan-shared-pavements/2008/12/02/1227979993171.html

So let's see...

Pedestrians will be pissed off having to share the footpath with cyclists.

Cyclists will be pissed off because they have to limit their speed to 10km/h (yeah, great idea) and share the footpath with pedestrians.

Motorists will be pissed off because they lose their precious parking spots.

Awesome!
- Commencing design work on a shared pedestrian and bicycle path adjacent to Hyde Park on College Street in the CBD, to greatly improve safety for pedestrians and cyclists. Initial design plans will be considered by Council on Monday 15 December.
As far as i'm concerned, motorists are secondary. Cycleways should be expanded at the expense of car lanes. But i do agree that there should be car parks in front of residential and retail development. But car parks in front of residential area should not be free, and should be subject to yearly permits.

In most cases, especially in inner Sydney shared pathways are feasible. Not all pathways are clogged up with pedestrians. In roads where there are high volumes of pedestrians (especially in retail strips like Oxford St), there should be dedicated paths.

10km/h is okay. Not many commuter cyclers can sustain higher peddling for long distance anyway.
the college st thing is ok, no one uses the path on that side (they walk through the park or on the other side of the road where the buildings are)
Backlash against Government plan for city bikeways
December 03, 2008 12:00am
http://www.news.com.au/dailytelegraph/story/0,22049,24742799-5006009,00.html

Head-on into danger ... bi-directional pathways have their critics.

THEY are the bane of motorists everywhere and now they're set for an even bigger share of the city's roads.

Sydney Lord Mayor Clover Moore wants to turn Sydney into Amsterdam, with a grand plan for 245km of cycleways in the inner city.

Ms Moore faces strong opposition from some residents, concerned the new bi-directional cycleways are unsafe and angry the project will mean a loss of parking and falls in property values.

She wants to take cars off the roads and reduce congestion and pollution by prioritising up to 35km of separated cycleways outlined in the city's 2007 strategy. It is part of a grand plan to change the culture of the city and increase inner-city cycling by 500 per cent, eventually introducing a Parisian-style bicycle hire system.

Do you support the push for more cycleways? Tell us below

In the next stage, bi-directional cycleways - which will be painted green - will be built in Bourke St, Surry Hills, Union St, Pyrmont and Missenden Rd, Newtown.

There is also a proposal for a shared cycleway with pedestrians at College St in the city, which will be considered by a council committee on Monday night.

In that street, 52 parking spaces will be lost, leading to a $450,000 loss in revenue. Altogether, 166 of the city's 30,000 parking spaces will disappear.

Bourke St resident Guy Ollivier said the bi-directional cycling design was unsafe and locals don't want to lose any parking spaces in areas where there are a large number of restaurants and bars.

"It devalues all our properties. The cycleways are going to be too narrow. Once you get more than a dozen cyclists it's going to congest," he said.

"It's very unsafe and all the research around the world shows it's much more unsafe than riding on the road."

But a council spokesman said cyclists weren't moving next to fast-moving traffic and parked cars would act as a buffer between them and the road.
Good news! :lol:

Finally, i got through to Clover Moore after i sent letters about cycleways. I'm in the middle of lobbying Parramatta Council for similar scheme.

But it's nothing compared to Amsterdam. About 50% travel to work on bike, then about 30% by public transport. The rest either walks or drives. All streets and roads have bike lanes no matter how narrow or congested the streets are. Free parking is non-existant, and residents must get parking permits depending how sought after the location is. Usually it's 500 Euro per year and above.

There are so many benefits to riding a bike:

- no pollution
- no reliance on public transport or cars
- health benefits
- psychological benefits (feels better after exercising)
- social benefits (promoting egalitarianism and utilitarian mentality)
- travel up to 10km in comfort zone radius and quicker to peddle than to drive
- fun!

All i can say to those critics is to suck rope!
Sydney Lord Mayor Clover Moore wants to turn Sydney into Amsterdam, with a grand plan for 245km of cycleways in the inner city.
LOL! I never seen a congested bike lane in Amsterdam or Holland for that matter. What a stupid argument.
"It devalues all our properties. The cycleways are going to be too narrow. Once you get more than a dozen cyclists it's going to congest," he said.
I think it is overall a good thing. We've got to try and rid the streets closer to the city of cars. They are just terrible things in the city, I hate them on our inner city streets. I do think that the more cycling and walking that occurs the better the amenity of the city will be. One of the few things I agree with Jan Gehl about is how bad it is that people have to "apply" to cross the roads in the CBD by pressing those god damn buttons. Pedestrians and cyclists should have right of way and cars should suffer this. Hopefully it would mean less of them that would bother.

The King St section of the cycleway is almost complete from the pedestrian bridge at the bottom of the st, on Sussex, up to Kent. It's a strange construction. If you haven't seen it I advise you take a look. I do wonder how it will work long term and I do see some issues between people and bikes if people wander onto the cycleway and between cars and bikes when cars come off the western distributor heading up King st. There's already rubber tyre marks from cars hitting the cycle curb rather than staying in their lane.

The shared cycle and pedestrian bridge from the bottom of king st to pyrmont bridge is an absolute nightmare. There's more congestion on that than the busiest Parramatta Road! Pyrmont Bridge has got to be one of the busiest bridges in the nation, it's bedlam!
I dont know.... I have been living in Delft for the last 4 months and the bike lanes here can get very congested. but that is normaly in the morning peak period when all the uni students are heading to class.

I had i bike is sydney but never used to ride it because it was just a pain in the ass to go up against the cars and buses, where her i could not live with out it. The one thing that I do find is onec you get people used to using the bike they will start to use it for everything. So any proposal to incress the bike traffic in the cbd is a good thing.

I general i dont find bi-directional lanes any harder to ride in. The key point is that when is is bi-directional it has to be wide enough to fit three bikes across not just two. this allows for clean take overs without stopping oncomming traffic.
LOL! I never seen a congested bike lane in Amsterdam or Holland for that matter. What a stupid argument.
Congestion of bike lane is nothing compared to 'car park' congestion in Sydney. The only time i ever saw such congestion was when drawing bridges were lifted to make way for cargo. That takes about 4 min.

My experience of being a UvA student was that i try to avoid the city centre within few blocks of the Royal Palace where tourists congregate and have no clue about cycling road rules. I generally travel where tourist number are thin so i can peddle quicker and it's scenic. I guess this will be the same in Sydney CBD where i doubt that many will know about cycling rules.
This is such great news for Sydney.As long as the Nimbys are kept at bay,Clover's vision of a cycle city should come into fruition.
Good to see Sydney is implementing cycleways. Sadly I think here in Melbourne we are going to go backwards under our new pro car Lord Mayor Doyle. Heck and to think I wanted him to be Premier a 6 years ago. I still don't understand how he got elected as Lord Mayor.
I wonder what's NIMBYs position in this. Greens would love this initiative for obvious reason.
Who rides at 10km/h? Yes that's what I said. Who cycles at 10km/h? You ask cyclists (who most seem to be dentists...) gee, traffic in the CBD doesnt reach any speed a cyclist couldn't do, Cyclists easily move at the speed of the car traffic in the CBD, not the Pedestrians. BIG STUFF UP in my opinion.

To make my point, average adult walk speed is between 2.7 mph or 4.3 km/h. a cyclist can easily travel 25km/h without breaking a sweat. *shrugs* maybe thats just me, but turn the parking spaces into the cycleway, why waste money extending the footpath and inhibiting cyclist speed and endangering pedestrians?
^^ they should have a rule like in Amsterdam where pedestrians have to give way to bike riders.
The problem with bike lanes are that silly pedestrians wont look before they crossover one and then get hit by a bike. I think the 10km rule is for safety sadly.
Seperate bike lane should have the same speed limit as motorists. Shared bike should be 10-15km/h. I think there should still be green lane in shared bike lane. Just not bi-directional. Never in my time in Amsterdam have i got run over by a bike.

Hopefully Parramatta and North Sydney have similar cycleway project as this. Then it will make cycle-n-ride a lot worthwhile.

I sent an email to the Council whether they'll roll-out bike facilities right throughout the city.

In related news, there is about 40% jump in bike purchase.
Bike accidents open door to paths
Wendy Frew Urban Affairs Editor
November 24, 2008

THEY call it the "door zone". It is the few metres between parked cars and moving traffic and it is the most dangerous place for a cyclist to ride because of the risk someone will open a car door.

Statistics show accidents with doors are responsible for 41 per cent of cyclist injuries in the central business district and 18 per cent in the rest of the city.

It is one of the main reasons why more people do not ride their bikes to work in this city, says the City of Sydney council. It wants the Federal Government to help fund 245 kilometres of integrated bike paths in and around Sydney.

In collaboration with 15 inner-city councils, City of Sydney has asked the Government for $295 million to build the network, which would use existing roads and bike paths as well as building new paths that would separate cyclists from traffic.

The network would include North Sydney's proposed elevated cycle path from Falcon Street to the Harbour Bridge and a five-kilometre cycle path from the Cooks River, Earlwood, to Iron Cove at Leichhardt.

The Mayor of Sydney, Clover Moore, said the cycle routes had been worked out in collaboration with the Department of Environment and Climate Change and the Roads and Traffic Authority.

"We have not yet been able to assess the full level of economic benefits from such a network," Cr Moore said.

But one estimate, based on Sydney's Anzac Bridge, showed that by diverting 10 per cent of car occupants to bicycles - or about 730 cyclists an hour - the life of the current bridge would be extended by about eight years, a saving of $46 million based on present-day construction costs, she said.

Elaena Gardener is one of a small but growing number of bicycle commuters who would benefit from a network of dedicated cycle paths stretching from Lane Cove in the city's north, Randwick in the east, south to Rockdale and west to Ashfield.

When one driver opened his parked car's door onto morning traffic in Redfern two years ago the point of his door pierced Ms Gardener's shoulder and threw her into the traffic.

She needed internal and external stitches to repair her injured shoulder, and it was six months before she felt mentally strong enough to ride her bike to work.

"It happened so easily and so quickly," said Ms Gardener, who was riding in the door zone when the accident happened.

"I feel really sorry for the guy who hit me because he was on his way to a funeral," she said, adding that she was also distracted and had not noticed him sitting in his car.

"It is really important for drivers to understand why cyclists ride in lanes … [Door accidents] can be deadly."

City of Sydney research shows only 1 per cent or 2 per cent of people are prepared to "mingle with the traffic" and ride in shoulder lanes. Everyone else is worried about the risk of car doors opening on them.

http://www.smh.com.au/news/national/bike-accidents-open-door-to-paths/2008/11/23/1227375062042.html
well they could do it on both sides, if heading west or north you ride on left footpath? and well facing opposite directions would also be left, but you get the point. keep left! double the cost, doubt they would. I guess you can always still just cycle on the street and hope a cabbie doesnt hit you, i'm not a person who technically will ride down along parked cars on the left side unless marked a cycle lane like in newcastle (though they don't do that in curb side parking areas anyhow).
Seperate bike lane should have the same speed limit as motorists. Shared bike should be 10-15km/h. I think there should still be green lane in shared bike lane. Just not bi-directional. Never in my time in Amsterdam have i got run over by a bike.
I peddle from Carlingford to Epping on roads that are cycle zone marked. But it's located on the parked car zone. Just to be careful, i peddle about 13km/h instead of about 20km/h+, unless there are no parked cars.

I'm frustrated enough as a pedestrian when people are not walking on left hand side of the pathway. Imagine how frustrated that'll be for cyclists.

Flattest streets/roads should have its own cycle lanes so cyclists can peddle much faster. Bumpy roads can be shared.
1 - 20 of 220 Posts