1 - 20 of 94 Posts

·
Registered
77,331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sydney, Melbourne battle for Beckham
Friday May 18 05:00 AEST

By ninemsn
A last minute attempt by Melbourne Victory to poach Sydney FC's blockbuster soccer match against David Beckham's new team Los Angeles Galaxy has sparked wild protests from NSW sporting and political leaders.

Premier Morris Iemma has vowed to do whatever it takes to stop the rival city from stealing the much-anticipated match, the Daily Telegraph reports.

"Sydney is now the undisputed home of football in Australia and the fans have responded magnificently in recent times," he said.

"As the only truly global city in the country, Sydney is the natural choice to host the Galaxy and David Beckham."

"My Government is right behind the bid and will provide whatever support is needed."

Galaxy is scheduled to play Sydney at Telstra Stadium on November 27, but it emerged yesterday that Melbourne was attempting to redirect David Beckham's travel plans and bring him to Victoria instead.

Former Football Australia chief and major events coordinator John O'Neill told the newspaper that Sydney was the only choice to host the match.

"Sydney is Australia's only global city and its identity is so aligned with the world game, so Beckham belongs in Sydney," he said.

"Beckham's style, pizzazz and identity fits ideally with Sydney's."

Federal Tourism Minister Fran Bailey, who is from Melbourne, said her hometown nearly stole the game.

"How tragic is it that Sydney can't get its act together?" she said, adding that it would be ideal if Galaxy could play in both cities.

--------------------------------:banana:

·
Registered
811 Posts
Oh this is going to be fun. I really really do hope the Gold Coast (as noted in the ALeague thread) take the game away from you both and LA Galaxy play QLD Roar. Can't see it happening but I hope it does just to p!$$ you guys off:banana: :nuts: :lol:

·
Developer
7,685 Posts
I bet Beckham will be upset to learn that he can only play soccer in truly Global Cities :) I guess that means he will never be able to play in Manchester again.

·
Registered
2,483 Posts
"Sydney is now the undisputed home of football in Australia[/B] and the fans have responded magnificently in recent times," he said.
lol Yes they have responded magnificently. just not quite as good as the ones in Melbourne which seemed to set new crowd records every week.

sydney is also the undisputed home of little girl cry babies

let the little sooks have it. Sydney has basically **** all major events anyway.

·
Developer
7,685 Posts
You would think that Galaxy would want to play against the best team in Australia that draws the largest crowds and that sure isn't Sydney FC.

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
Who cares about a mickey mouse game with a past it player as the main drawcard.Very Sydney like to rush this cheap promotion.As Dean correctly said Sydney has **** all major events anyway so let the suckers have it!

·
Watch my Chops
6,047 Posts

·
Banned
419 Posts
channel 7

Iemma set on bringing Beckham to Sydney
NSW Premier Morris Iemma might not be able to bend it like Beckham, but he's prepared to twist arms to get the soccer superstar to strut his stuff in Sydney.

Mr Iemma says he's "aggressively chasing" David Beckham's new team, the Los Angeles Galaxy, to play a match at the Olympic Stadium in November.

A self-confessed football fanatic, the premier said it was part of a range of measures his government was working on with the Football Federation of Australia.

"It would be fulfilling ambitions to stand there with David Beckham to watch him play," Mr Iemma told reporters on Friday.

"He has been and continues to be ... one of the greats of football; he's got plenty to offer, his skills and ability are still there."

Mr Iemma played down the chances of the Victorian government poaching the game for Melbourne.

He said compared to the harbour city, Melbourne was "mediocre".

Rejecting claims by Melbourne Lord Mayor John So that it was the sporting capital of the universe, Mr Iemma added: "When (Melbourne) can put on (an) Olympics that is the best ever ... then we can pay some attention to those remarks."

Mr Iemma said securing the LA Galaxy match was part of the government's commitment to attract major events to NSW.

But as things stand, Beckham and the Galaxy might skip Australia altogether.

A Galaxy official said in LA on Friday the club's post season world tour involving star recruit Beckham and his new team-mates may bypass Australia.

"We have nothing confirmed in terms of a trip to Australia," Galaxy's director of media relations, Patrick Donnelly, told AAP in Los Angeles.

·
Registered
77,331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
lol @ melburnians. any chance hey guys.
latest is that Beckham may not even becoming to Australia.lol

·
Registered
683 Posts

·
selling my body since 88'
2,241 Posts
Bring Liverpool instead!!!! (if only, one can dream)

·
Registered
4,188 Posts
This isn't even a major event. Morris Iemma is kidding himself if he thinks it represents the government's "commitment to attracting major events".

·
Mr Superstar
2,411 Posts
Guys stress less. The Galaxy would be stupid in bringing in their biggest and only asset to the other side of the world for some meaningless bullcrap. There is alot more chances of him not coming, then coming.

But you gotta love the SYD v MELB debates. Its always good for a laugh sitting here in Big Perth. :lol:

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
^^^^^^^^^^^^

Perth can debate with cities on it's own level, such as Geelong which has the bigger knob. :)

·
Registered
511 Posts
I would rather see Sydney FC v AC Milan.

1 - 20 of 94 Posts