Skyscraper City Forum banner
581 - 600 of 2814 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Busaco and Taranto are fine areas near the bush. No it was Vimiera Rd that truly felt like arse end of the world. It was barely tarred well. And there were horse paddocks in the area, it felt like a patch of outback in the middle of the city.
I lived opposite where they built the freeway. It used to be all horse paddocks up until 1994. Was such a peaceful area. Then at the end of talavera rd were the bushfires were there used to be this hidden creek billabong kinda area. Used to go there all the time and hang out. Lost some of my innocence down there! :D

I moved out in 1995 just when they started works. Was sad to see the paddocks all go.

·
Registered
2,135 Posts
It is still there and still looks the same.
Originally the Colonial Secretary's Building, the Chief Secretary's, it's now the home of the NSW Industrial Relations Commission, which expanded from its home on the right of shot (Phillip Lane separates the two buildings).

It's worth a look inside, with cut explantory sectioning of some floors, exposing the original structure and various renovations over the years, with explanatory information.

·
Registered
77,950 Posts
the CSB was built in 1878.
one of biggest bldgs in Aus.
they added dome 1890 and 6storey bldg on philip street in 1893

·
Sydney: World's best city
40,696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #595 ·
He died just this year. :(

The statue was erected in Martin Place, not 1984 and was taken down in 1996.

There was a group that wanted the sculpture returned to Martin Place but look at it now and i have to say it looks out of place there today.

581 - 600 of 2814 Posts