SkyscraperCity banner

1 - 20 of 219 Posts

·
Registered
14,364 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
MY SPIEL

Having long watched the great public transport cities of the world quickly build and grow their rapid transit networks in recent years, Sydney will have three metro lines under construction at the same time come the 2020s:
1. Sydney Metro City and Southwest - Chatswood to Bankstown via North Sydney & Sydney CBD (completion due 2024)
2. Sydney Metro North-South Link - St Marys to Badgerys Creek Aerotropolis via Western Sydney Airport (completion due 2026)
3. Sydney Metro West - Parramatta to Sydney CBD via Sydney Olympic Park & The Bays Precinct (completion due late 2020s)

With the completion of these three railway lines (and other major transport projects such as Western Sydney Airport, WestConnex, NorthConnex, Parramatta Light Rail and Sydney Light Rail), Sydney will be a city transformed.

THE PLEDGE

Deliver rail for the Western City

The Australian and NSW governments will deliver the first stage of a North-South Rail Link from St Marys to Western Sydney Airport and the Badgerys Creek Aerotropolis.

As a first step, the NSW Government will protect suitable corridors for future rail connections in Western Sydney. Both governments will contribute up to $50 million each to a business case process, in consultation with local government. This will include investigation of integrated transport and delivery options for a full North South Rail Link from Schofields to Macarthur and a South West Rail Link to connect Leppington to the Western Sydney Airport via an interchange at the Badgerys Creek Aerotropolis.

The Australian and NSW governments will be equal partners in funding the first stage of the North South Rail Link and have a shared objective to connect rail to Western Sydney Airport in time for opening, informed by the business case.

https://www.nsw.gov.au/improving-nsw/projects-and-initiatives/western-sydney-city-deal/

THE STATISTICS

Name: North-South Link
Stage 1: St Marys to Western Sydney Airport and Badgerys Creek Aerotropolis
Length: Approximately 18km
Mode: Metro or Light Metro
Completion: 2026

Future Stages
Stage 2: St Marys to Schofields (2031)
Stage 3: Badgerys Creek Aerotropolis to Macarthur (2036-2041)
Full Length: 60km-70km
Full Cost: $15 billion-$20 billion (in 2017 AUD)

THE VISION

FURTHER READING

·
Registered
14,364 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
And this gem (courtesy of OZ Rails) shows what a future Sydney rail map could look like incorporating the new North-South Link in addition to other planned rail projects:

Yes, I found that interesting. Also confirmed that the West Airport line will be a separate Metro to the NW Metro, so its own stabling etc.

The other thing that stands out is that under their plans there are still big issues with the existing network by 2056. In particular the Illawarra and Strathfield to CBD corridors. I doubt it could be allowed to get that bad. That's why I support this proposal (I know it doesn't have the Aerotropolis station/ configuration, its an old map I did).

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showpost.php?p=145922933&postcount=14918

·
Registered
3,653 Posts
The “East West Rail Link” from Parramatta to the airport and the Aerotropolis (ie, potential Metro West extension) does not get a mention in that first “Deliver Rail” map posted above, although it does feature in the second “Preferred Network” map. Is it regarded as a lower priority than both the NS and the SW lines?

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
My suspicion is that the North-South link is where we see Fed involvement, with their commitment to fund 50% of the first stage and have it open for 2026, hence the inclusion in the city deal.

If you remember the media mentions of West Metro being a $30b project, I guess this is where we could hear about the East-West link, probably entirely funded by the state. That project might be a $12b-15b stage 1 from CBD to Parramatta by the late 2020s and a $12b-$15b stage 2 from Parramatta to WSA and Western City a few years later. I guess we could find out when West Metro is unveiled.

·
Registered
11,434 Posts
Relevant to the thread topic. Can someone here post the evidence that this line will be a new, standalone "metro" rather than an extension of the "integrated" network? If it becomes the latter then the thread title is a bit skewed.

·
Registered
449 Posts
And this gem (courtesy of OZ Rails) shows what a future Sydney rail map could look like incorporating the new North-South Link in addition to other planned rail projects:
Macarthur is right next door to WSU Campbelltown Campus, so it having its own station and connecting to Campbelltown station on the line is illogical.

·
Registered
11,434 Posts
Have you read the document as linked to in the previous thread?

https://www.transport.nsw.gov.au/system/files/media/documents/2018/wsrnsoutcome-report.pdf

Page 55
This is what I read from this.

SWRL interchanges at aerotropolis. Ok that's consistent with the north south link being indrpendent.

Interchange at Schofields. Ok, fine.

'A metro or light metro style of train..' Ok fairly strong evidence for new rolling stock.

But what hasn't been stated is what happens at St. Marys. Is interchange just assumed?

Reason I ask is when I talk to friends in the rail business they just seem to assume that it will be a branch of T1.

However its hard to imagine a metro type service using a junction onto an existing track at St. Marys.

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
Those 3 facts you mention seem pretty conclusive that it will be a Metro or Light Metro line from Macarthur to Schofields with interchange at Aerotropolis and St Marys.

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
I'm not familiar with the concept of Aerotropolis. Are there any good successful examples of Aerotropolis around the world that had been developed from scratch?

·
Registered
5,915 Posts
Read John Kasarda’s book ‘Aerotroplis’.

It’s about seven years old now, but not a bad read and should give you a good idea of what they’re all about.

At the very least read the online reviews for some insights.

·
Registered
1,873 Posts
Wouldn't airport line be M2 given it seems to have moved up the curve.

And I thought the latest docs suggested MetroWest would likely go to Malabar.

·
Registered
3,653 Posts
The document did list Parramatta to Western Sydney Airport to Badgerys Creek Aerotropolis which may potentially be an a extension of Metro West.

You could draw the light green line bending south westerly.

·
Registered
2,809 Posts
Someone correct me if I'm wrong but I read it that the West Metro from the CBD (I think that will be Zetland) to Parramatta/ Westmead is still priority due to capacity issues with Western line. The West Airport metro from St Mary's to Badgerys Creek is the next priority. I was assuming these would be built in tandem with the Airport line perhaps finishing first (so it may be M2). Both would be expected to be complete by 2030. All a big ask I know but the draft has a lot more slated for 2026...

Here it gets interesting. I personally think they will need to do something more for the existing network by then. So I have the Airport & East Hills Metro there, its much easier to build then anything else and the new section can be built without affecting the existing line. It's politically palatable for both sides too. In a perfect world this would start for completion by 2031 too but it may be too much.

From there I expect they will would look at extensions of the West Airport line but not the direct line from Parramatta to Badgerys. That is a long term project. In this time period (based on the documentation) they should also have started on the Kogarah - Bankstown - Parramatta - Epping line (assuming no branching) and the Metro West extension from Zetland to Malabar. This brings us to 2036 to 2040.

Past here you have the Bankstown to Liverpool extension, extension to Norwest and perhaps that express line to the Western Airport. Of course politics will probably have changed this by then... So that map includes what I think we will see for sure.

·
Registered
956 Posts
If the metro ever does get extended from Bankstown to Liverpool (I still prefer the option using the existing line via Yagoona, Birrong, Sefton etc…) I think the SWRL should also be converted to metro. That way you would have Metro Line 1 connected at both ends to the North-South Metro (WSA line). Add to this a future extension of the West Metro to WSA and the Kogarah, Bankstown, Parramatta, Epping Metro and you start to create a very good metro only network effect.

1 - 20 of 219 Posts