Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
skyscraper connoisseur
6,206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
http://www.smh.com.au/news/national/opera-house-wins-top-status/2007/06/28/1182624058781.html

The Sydney Opera House has been declared a World Heritage site and a masterpiece of 20th century architecture.

It takes its place alongside the Taj Mahal, the Acropolis and the Great Pyramids as cultural sites having outstanding universal value.

The decision was made in Christchurch, New Zealand, at a meeting of the United Nations Education, Scientific and Cultural Organisation's World Heritage Committee.

The Opera House, designed by Joern Utzon and officially opened in October 1973, is the youngest building ever to be included on the World Heritage list and only the second by a living architect.

The committee has described the Opera House as of unparalleled design and construction.

"It is a daring and visionary experiment that has had an enduring influence on the emergent architecture of the late 20th century," according to the committee. "....the building is a great artistic monument and an icon"

The listing has been a long-held goal for the Opera House which attempted to inclusion in 1981.

The nine-day UNESCO meeting is considering the inclusion of 45 natural and cultural sites, including India's Red Ford in Delhi.

The listing will mean the creation of a 2.5 kilometre buffer-zone around the Opera House to protect views to and from the site. Any development within the zone will be subject to additional scrutiny.

If the World Heritage values of the site are breached, the site can be placed on an endangered list and ultimately removed.

The listing is expected to increase visitors to the Opera House. An estimated 4.5 million people visit the Opera House of which 1.5 million attend a show.

The listing comes as the Opera House is poised to become the venue for the APEC conference in September when world leaders, including US President George Bush.

It also comes as the Opera House is considering a major renovation program to address long-standing sound and other mechanical problems. This work is not expected to be affected by the listing.

------------

Oh ****. 2.5km? Now a worldly enforced height restriction?

Thy shall not build anything more imposing than the Sydney Opera House?

·
Galactic Ruler
6,857 Posts
http://www.smh.com.au/news/national/opera-house-wins-top-status/2007/06/28/1182624058781.html

The listing will mean the creation of a 2.5 kilometre buffer-zone around the Opera House to protect views to and from the site. Any development within the zone will be subject to additional scrutiny.

------------

Oh ****. 2.5km? Now a worldly enforced height restriction?

Thy shall not build anything more imposing than the Sydney Opera House?
Yes exactly, wtf does this mean? If sydney's CBD is to be even more strictly controlled through this simple listing, I'd rather not have it.

·
Registered
12,898 Posts
I wouldn't worry too much..because of it's location..practically surrounded by water and Gardens the only threat would come from any redevelopment of East Circular Quay..and thats pretty new anyway....When Melbournes Royal Exhibition Building was World Heritage Listed the new and very modern Melbourne Museum was standing parrallel and behind it in the Carlton Gardens..and they are also part of the Heritage Listing! PS..Congrats SOH

·
Registered
984 Posts
Damn it - I just found out at a concert at SOH tonight and I was hoping to post the news first!

Oh well

I'm a bit worried about that buffer zone around the site - as everyone has said, more restrictions in Sydney are not needed.

Does the listing mean that the major renovations to RESTORE the building to its somewhat more original design mean that it will become an endangered building and might be delisted?

Also, does the federal government now have ultimate responsibility for the building?

·
skyscraper connoisseur
6,206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
it won't be endangered when renovation is done. it took into account while being nominated.

It also comes as the Opera House is considering a major renovation program to address long-standing sound and other mechanical problems. This work is not expected to be affected by the listing.

·
selling my body since 88'
2,241 Posts
Most obvious award ever. The thing was a masterpiece the moment it was designed.
Easily one of the greatest buildings in the world today.

·
selling my body since 88'
2,241 Posts
^^^ Well to be perfectly honest the HB isn't that special design wise. The location and symbolism is what makes it great.

·
Registered
77,348 Posts
the SHB deserves to be a structure included. Its one of the worlds great bridges. If cathedrals were to be added i would have Sydneys st marys and melbs St pats.Also a significant lighthouse like Gabo is or King is.the Shot towers at taroona/Tas and Clifton hill. list goes on.As chimneys goes, the 70m Mt Morgan mines stack-our greatest ever.

·
Registered
794 Posts
^^^ Well to be perfectly honest the HB isn't that special design wise. The location and symbolism is what makes it great.
Of course it is!

And besides, isn't the Golden Gate Bridge heritage listed also?

·
Registered
2,085 Posts
I think the SHB is just as significant as the SOH.
The SHB is not only an archietctural masterpeice that would NEVER even considered to be built today, but it has an amazing story to tell about how,why and when it was built.

·
Registered
12,898 Posts
From talk I've heard on the radio I think there has been some confusion about a World Heritage Listing ( Which is great! ) and the recent talk about a new 7 wonders of the world listing ??? 2 different things.......

·
Oh ma Lordee, lookee here
1,734 Posts
Totally deserved world recognition - overdue actually, but these things have their own pace. In a subliminal way, I believe the SOH makes a contribution to the sense of well-being of every person in Australia. Somewhere, in the recesses of their consciousness, almost every person feels a shade better about life on this continent because of this one building. I've said it before - the decision to create it was the most inspired moment in our history (and, even if Eero Saarinen had to come out from New York and give the other design judges a bit of a nudge to realize what was staring them in the face, they went with him, and we all share in it).

Congrats SOH. Congrats Sydney. Congrats all of us.

·
Oh ma Lordee, lookee here
1,734 Posts
celebrating that moment

the judges (233 designs were submitted from 32 countries, including US, UK France West Germany, Denmark and Japan, as well as Australia)

2nd prize winner (US)

3rd prize (Britain)

Joern Utzon's original drawings showed somewhat "flatter" sails or shells

but the model he brought from Denmark showed the evolved idea for what was built

The shells were designed from the concept of a sliced sphere

There was a very elegant architecture critic writing for The Australian back then, Peter Ward from Adelaide I think: always remember a piece, 'A Dream of Elsinore' (the 'Hamlet' castle site) on the sources of Utzon's inspiration.
Utzon, by the old tramshed that stood on the site

pics from Sydney Builds An Opera House Ozwald Zeigler Publications 1973

·
Registered
77,348 Posts
i dont mind the 2nd place design. but gee the current Utzon building is special. read today the the SOH is now 1 of 800 world heritage sites.didnt realize there were 800?

·
Registered Abuser
2,904 Posts
The SHB is basically a larger copy of an earlier bridge from New York. Still it definitely deserves listing as the story of the bridge, is just as important as the structure itself.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts