SkyscraperCity Forum banner

Sydney Scenes....1963

3652 Views 15 Replies 12 Participants Last post by  CULWULLA
1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Changed for the better ALOT. You don't realize how much of an icon the Opera House is until you see pics like this.

Also: I didn't realize that the domain tunnel was part of the original Cahill Expressway. For some reason I was under the impression it only went to Macquarie Street.
great, but dont stop at 2 photos. make it worth while.

some more from 63

england v australia test.
simpson gets wicket

your booked!
See less See more
Great, the Cahill expressway looks really prominent. When was it built?

Also where does the Domain tunnel come out?
Wow Sydney looked so small back then! The AMP Centre really did dominate the skyline.

Great shots Rebaron and Culwulla! :)
Great, the Cahill expressway looks really prominent. When was it built?

Also where does the Domain tunnel come out?
It opened in March 1962.

It used to finish just down near Woolomoloo where airport/southbound traffic would have to make a trek through Darlinghurst Streets. Now it links straight up with the Eastern Distributor which opened in 2000.

See less See more
It opened in March 1962.
The cutting in Observatory Hill was built before the War but not used
The viaduct section of the road opened at the beginning of 1958
The section through the Botanic Gardens and splitting the Domain from the Gardens opened in March 1962 as you indicated.

It used to finish just down near Woolomoloo where airport/southbound traffic would have to make a trek through Darlinghurst Streets. Now it links straight up with the Eastern Distributor which opened in 2000.
Well there was a one-way arrangement involving Palmer Street (SB) with a tunnel under William St connecting to Bourke St thence Taylor Square and Crown St + Sir John Young Crescent for NB traffic. Traffic from the East used Riley St + Sir John Young Cres in the NB direction.

After the Eastern Distributor opened (December 1999), traffic from the East could use Palmer Street NB as it became two way. Now the Cross City Tunnel connects right in to the Cahill Expressway.
See less See more
your booked!
Ah yes, the new state of New England movement

Apparently it was narrowly defeated in a 1967 referendum

Interesting SMH article here:
http://www.smh.com.au/news/National/Altered-states/2005/01/24/1106415528397.html

http://www.newstates.com.au/index.html

Flag
See less See more
what's really interesting in the first pictures on this thread is the pre-"Toaster" towers on East Circular Quay.

I think the Toaster is *definitely* preferable to those monstrosities!
Not sure if you saw it, but there was a topic on the movement to create new states in skybar a little while back:

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=123928

V-interesting I thought!
i can now see why australia square became so prominent when it was built a few years later. it would have looked massive!
yes, sure did. the previous tallest was 128m SOB and this was 170m.
but there wertn many over 100m, so she stood out like rats testes.
I thought this pic was the same as Cul's from the same location but see it is a bit later when some of the ribbing between the shells had been erected.
See less See more
Precious pics ! It is extremely worth recalling ......
She's pretty naked without her Opera House eh.
scanned an old postcard 1961. shows new australias tallest AMP. plus row of 50;s highrise on ECQ. also former Aus tallest in 57- Caltex house.
See less See more
1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.