SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
76,996 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Originally known as KENS tower, the new HQ of WESTPAC is over 50% built now and is looking massive. It wont be Australia's largest office tower (amount of floor space) only 77,000sqm but it has only 35 floors and most are over 3000sqm per floor with lower floors 4,000sqm.
The 140m tower is nearly 80m wide and 65m deep. It will be topped with a unique 30m weather beacon which will measure 10x9m square.The steel structure opaque glass / 8 LED lights indicating impending weather ect.totalling 166m.
Its built dif to most office towers in Australia with a central service core and twin floor plates attached either side.

heres some elavtions and recent pix.

location on skyline
pic by sirhc8

side render

front elevation
the lower 4floor section stretches 140m in length!

·
Registered
2,469 Posts
^^ why the contradiction?? i dont get it. first you say in your title it's the largest then in the first line you say it's not.

you could probably say its got the 'fattest arse' of any scrapper in oz, but that's about it. lol

Cheers

Dean - Melbourne

·
Aussie Aussie Aussie
@a.j.wilko
1,079 Posts
Definatly a fatty though! Sham it belongs to dam Westpac!!!! All the "Bank of Melbounre" signs have been removed and replaced with "Westpac" signs accross all of Victoria now thanks to the merger a few years ago!

·
Registered
76,996 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Dean said:
^^ why the contradiction?? i dont get it. first you say in your title it's the largest then in the first line you say it's not.

you could probably say its got the 'fattest arse' of any scrapper in oz, but that's about it. lol

Cheers

Dean - Melbourne
yeah it does look like that, i ment dimensional wise. i want to change title but world forums doesnt allow access.yes it is fatase.lol
Jose- why dont you like it? it was originally going to be 3x 80m apartment towers but thank god mayor rejected them and it went to a design comp. One of Sydneys best firms DCM designed it and it was allowed to double the site height limit.

another render

·
Registered
2,469 Posts
I dont really like this one. One of DCM's lesser works. i would have expected more from a major Melbourne firm like them. not particularly attractive, a bit of an ugly duckling and just too short for it's width and breadth and that thing on the top is, well umm. 40-50 more height would have made it look less like fat albert.

Cheers

Dean - Melbourne

·
Registered
8,590 Posts
Architects are Johnson Pilton and Walker (JPW), formerly DCM Sydney. They also designed the urban landscaped park

Another render:

...and the model in red, indicating that it is U/C. The weather beacon will be 30m/98.5ft high from its mid section.:

Still a fair height to go....

Pic taken by CULWULLA of it in one of the many scraper canyons of Sydney:

Another by CULWULLA, across the harbour inlet, Darling Harbour:

...and one by sirhc8:

·
selling my body since 88'
2,241 Posts
OH man get over it with all the melb promoting- just comment on the building like what the thread is meant to be about :sleepy:

·
Registered
2,469 Posts
^^lol you get over it... If i had said it the best building in the world you wouldn't have said a thing.

·
Banned
10 Posts
Hey Dean, Westpac is a sydney based company
ANZ and National = melbourne
Westpac and Commbank = sydney

Westpacs registered hq is: Level 25 , 60 Martin Place , SYDNEY , NSW, AUSTRALIA, 2000

Also if this was a melbourne company why would they be building their international headquarters in Sydney? duh!

·
Registered
2,469 Posts
jasoncoggins said:
Hey Dean, Westpac is a sydney based company
ANZ and National = melbourne
Westpac and Commbank = sydney

Westpacs registered hq is: Level 25 , 60 Martin Place , SYDNEY , NSW, AUSTRALIA, 2000

Also if this was a melbourne company why would they be building their international headquarters in Sydney? duh!
lol Honestly you're dopey arnt u. I was talking about DCM and their design, not westpac. they're a melbourne architect. Of course westpac is based in sydney.

·
Registered
76,996 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
recent pic

·
Registered
76,996 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
ship? lol

·
Registered
8,590 Posts
BTW guys, it's not a DCM design, but a Johnson Pilton and Walker.

Construction pic updates...

c/- gazmo:

More by sirhc8:

CULWULLA:

...and another by sirh8:

1 - 20 of 45 Posts