Paddington 49 by mornnb, on Flickr

Paddington 50 by mornnb, on Flickr

Paddington 51 by mornnb, on Flickr

Paddington 52 by mornnb, on Flickr

Paddington 53 by mornnb, on Flickr​

·
Registered
4,040 Posts
Nice...Australia's oldest suburb, didn't know that. That wine library looks interesting too, must investigate. :cheers:

·
Registered
884 Posts
Wow great pics. 6 months living and exploring Sydney I feel I barely scratched the surface of the city and its urban fabric. Keep the pics coming!!

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
Disappointed you didn't take any of my little old William Street Mornnb! Probably one of the most charming streets in Sydney with about 50 boutiques in Victorian terraces, pubs and cafes.

And also another one of the top destinations in Paddington; Five Ways, full of restaurants, cafes and art galleries.

·
Registered
884 Posts
^^ AHHHHHH 5 ways! I did go there, loved it. If any part of Australia reminded me of Europe it was 5 ways! Beautiful!

·
Registered
4,040 Posts
Is Oxford Street still looking a bit bare...too much for lease or have things improved lately? Last time I was there, other than Theo Onisforou's very nice Intersection development, many parts of the street around there looked like it was struggling. Sad but Westfield in both Bondi Junction and the city have had a detrimental affect on main street shopping and not only on Oxford Street I've been told.

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
Is Oxford Street still looking a bit bare...too much for lease or have things improved lately? Last time I was there, other than Theo Onisforou's very nice Intersection development, many parts of the street around there looked like it was struggling. Sad but Westfield in both Bondi Junction and the city have had a detrimental affect on main street shopping and not only on Oxford Street I've been told.
From William Street/Paddington Inn towards the Intersection at Glenmore road isn't too bad. From the Post Office to Glenmore road particularly there isn't anything for lease. Left from William Street towards Queen Street is horrible. I'd say 1-2 out of every 4 buildings is for lease. Hopefully with Justin Hemmes buying up on that stretch though it turns into a bit of a foodie hub.

Edit: forgot to mention it's also horrible from the intersection to taylor square. So much for lease in that stretch.

·
Saint Timmy
1,172 Posts
Wow great pics. 6 months living and exploring Sydney I feel I barely scratched the surface of the city and its urban fabric. Keep the pics coming!!
I'm still discovering Sydney after 13 years here.

Last Saturday I visited Rozelle/Balmain for the first time. A nice walk down the entire length of Darling St is a nice way to spend a morning.

·
Registered
2,540 Posts
I'm still discovering Sydney after 13 years here.

Last Saturday I visited Rozelle/Balmain for the first time. A nice walk down the entire length of Darling St is a nice way to spend a morning.

How can you live in Sydney for 13 years and not been to Balmain! :lol:

Don't tell me you haven't been to Cabramatta?

·
Registered
1,349 Posts

I've lived in Sydney 24 years and doubt if I've been to Balmain in the last 10. Cabramatta I would never have been to if it wasn't for them having so any fabric shops I would shop at during my uni years.

·
Saint Timmy
1,172 Posts

Been to Cabramatta several times, mainly for that Vietnames restaurant near the big John St intersection.

Places I've visited for the first time in Sydney in the past 2 years:

- Walsh Bay
- Enmore
- Northern Beaches (Dee Why, Collaroy, Narrabeen, Whale Beach, Palm Beach, Pittwater Park)
- Iron Cove
- Richmond/Windsor

I declared after 3 years that I 'knew' Sydney.. 10 years later I still have places I want to visit.

·
Sydney: World's best city
40,696 Posts
I'd love to pay a visit to the second hand bookstore featured in those photos. I have a friend who may also love to go to.

For me, Paddington is about the terrace houses.

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
I'd love to pay a visit to the second hand bookstore featured in those photos. I have a friend who may also love to go to.

For me, Paddington is about the terrace houses.
The back streets of Paddington is where you find some real gems. The old corner shops and pubs, the terraces which over the years have come alive with distinct personalities as owners have decorated to their tastes over time. The different trees that line the streets (Paddington Street is a favourite with dozens of plane trees). There are great little lane ways which look like they just have garages but as you walk down them you find these beautiful one bedroom wooden Victorian cottages.

·
Registered
483 Posts
Been to Cabramatta several times, mainly for that Vietnames restaurant near the big John St intersection.

Places I've visited for the first time in Sydney in the past 2 years:

- Walsh Bay
- Enmore
- Northern Beaches (Dee Why, Collaroy, Narrabeen, Whale Beach, Palm Beach, Pittwater Park)
- Iron Cove
- Richmond/Windsor

I declared after 3 years that I 'knew' Sydney.. 10 years later I still have places I want to visit.

That is what is unique about Sydney, it has so many different regions and precincts to explore, it is definitely not boring.

From the trendy inner suburbs, beach suburbs, Bondi, the mountain suburbs, the inner west, north shore, harbour front suburbs, it has such a variety on scale no other city can match, there is a region to suit everyone.

·
Saint Timmy
1,172 Posts
That is what is unique about Sydney, it has so many different regions and precincts to explore, it is definitely not boring.

From the trendy inner suburbs, beach suburbs, Bondi, the mountain suburbs, the inner west, north shore, harbour front suburbs, it has such a variety on scale no other city can match, there is a region to suit everyone.
You forgot Western Sydney, famous for..

Never mind.

(I'm a westie so I'm allowed to joke about it)

·
Registered
7,735 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Disappointed you didn't take any of my little old William Street Mornnb! Probably one of the most charming streets in Sydney with about 50 boutiques in Victorian terraces, pubs and cafes.
Visited it yesterday. :)

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
Great pics! You should have popped in and say hi! Although it looks like it's late afternoon and I close at 4 on sundays, you just missed out on getting a shot of my shop too. Sunday is the worst day to visit too as the great coffee shop Alimentari is closed, along with a couple of other stores. I love the eclectic colours of some of the terraces especially the block that has blues, purple, grey, beige and red! Cheers

·
Sydney: World's best city
40,696 Posts
I had no idea about the boutiques in William Street. Surely this must be one of the local secrets?

It makes me think as to why there is so much effort being put into Oxford Street retail when its the off the main road retail offerings that should be getting the attention.

A real alternative to Westfield Bondi Junction right there.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts