·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Sydney: World's best city
40,696 Posts
It works fine for me. Good effort.
The F6 is still proposed fifty years later and still the question is asked if it needs to be built or not.

·
Registered
5,688 Posts
CKF - in your ghost roads article the following para deals with the pop pressures.

“The rapid increase in population and traffic in the 1950’s was significantly greater than expected and it became evident that the expansion of the Main Roads System only to the extent that it was previously planned was inadequate if the demands of traffic were to be met. At the time, the target in road planning, overseas as well as in Australia , was a system to cater substantially for full demand. Subsequently, the growth of traffic was so great that it was realised such a target was neither practicable nor in the best interests of the community as a whole. However, at that stage, provision was made for some increased capacity in a number of the freeways. In addition, the location of freeway routes was extended beyond the boundaries of the County of Cumberland , south to Wollongong and to the near South Coast , north to Newcastle and southwest as a relief to the Hume Highway . The early planning of these extensions has proved of great value in view of the expansion of Sydney and Newcastle .”2
I still don't get how 50s and 60s politicians and bureaucrats could argue they were keeping up with transport demand for EITHER road or rail. Neither was developed to any great extent. You've well documented the planning docs and trends, but I wonder where I find the info on Treasury attitudes to transport in the same period.

·
derp
10,274 Posts
CKF - in your ghost roads article the following para deals with the pop pressures.

I still don't get how 50s and 60s politicians and bureaucrats could argue they were keeping up with transport demand for EITHER road or rail. Neither was developed to any great extent. You've well documented the planning docs and trends, but I wonder where I find the info on Treasury attitudes to transport in the same period.
If you are really keen the perhaps the State Archives at Kingswood has copies of Cabinet documents from this era. I know the QLD archives are releasing those more than 30 years old but I'm not sure about NSW.

I have seen documentary evidence that the DMR had realised, quite early on in the piece, that road capacity could not keep up with demand and that it was not desirable.

I don't think that the DMR could ever claim it was keeping up with demand - practically every Annual Report has the Commissioner complaining about insufficient funds, reductions on previous years, postponing projects due to lack of funds etc. - not even enough to implement the relatively modest plan that they had conceived for Sydney.

·
derp
10,274 Posts
Actually found some stuff already, yay for filing :banana:

Excerpts from The New cities of Campbelltown, Camden, Appin: Structure Plan (1973)

The plans provide for a possible long term expressway across the Campbelltown New city area between Ingleburn and Minto to link the Princes Highway with the western areas of the Sydney Region. This proposal depends on the removal of the present artillery range, but it is in the public interest to ensure that such an expressway can be provided if required.
image showing the indicative route of the expressway

A few other items of note:
- Campbelltown Road deviated to stay east of the Hume Highway
- Direction connection from Camden Valley Way to Camden Bypass retained (the current dog leg will be farked once the SWGC is developed, its already pretty bad)
- rail branch to Camden
- rail line via Appin towards Wollongong (eventually arrived as the Maldon-Dombarton link)

·
Sydney: World's best city
40,696 Posts
Thats a very good find that you have in your files. It was also published in a book that detailed the history of Campbelltown when talking about the future.

Disappointing that the Civic fathers down there today lack such vision. Even in the 1980's they were pushing for a nice big Satellite city down in Campbelltown/Macarthur with highrises.

·
Gosford/Sydney.
1,646 Posts
It works fine for me. Good effort.
The F6 is still proposed fifty years later and still the question is asked if it needs to be built or not.
Until we have a change of government and an independant transport authority, nothing, unless its in a marginal seat will ever see the light of day.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Imagine how the place would of been like if they built the infrustructure before letting the people in the area.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Also, I notice that only about 10 years after they pulled up the campbelltown to Camden train line they realised that it was a bad idea

·
Registered
2,312 Posts
Wouldn't the abandoned Minto to Princes Hwy Expressway join up with the current M7 route somehow.

I'm old enough to remember plans for this to happen. I could be wrong though???

·
Registered
218 Posts
Any chance of Holsworthy military reserve closing or moving? Would be pretty valuable land to develop on. I could also see a diagonal train line being built through it to provide a more direct route from Campbelltown to the East Hills line....and well the above Princess Hwy expressway too...

1 - 20 of 29 Posts