Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
By Spirit
25,912 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Post pics of synagogues in your city!

In Singapore, there are 2. They were originally built for the small Jewish community that settled here in the 19th century:

El-Chesed Synagogue

Maghain Aboth Synagogue

·
Streetwalker
7,028 Posts
Wow, really nice synagogues in Singapore! :)

·
Super Moderator
11,306 Posts
Well obviously NYC has a lot, but I don't have pics of them. Except for a few near towers, but I don't think I've uploaded them yet.
Until then, here's Sofia, Bulgaria's main synagogue, one of the biggest in Europe
courtesy of google

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
in serbia and montenegro :

synagog in Novi Sad

in Subotica

in Pancevo

in Belgrade

sorry couldnt find new pics online

·
Registered
685 Posts
The oldest synagogue (Emanu-El) in Tucson and Arizona dates from 1910:

New Synagogue in Dresden, Germany (opened in 2002):

During the Elbe floods in 2002:

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
There are Synagogues in most cities in Bosnia-Herzegovina. Most of them were nationalised by the communists after WWII - police stations, schools, etc. Over the years, though, most have been converted back to Synagogues where Jews remained, or to Jewish/holocaust-related museums where none remained.

Sarajevo has two main Synagogues, but neither is as beautiful as those you've shared here. So I'll share instead what was, when first built, the city's second Synagogue.

Now it is a prayer chapel for the Sarajevo Jewish community. It houses a small museum and serves as a place for funeral ceremonies and so on. It is located in the center of the Old Sephardic Cemetery.

Firstly, here is the beautiful view of the city afforded from the Old Sephardic Cemetery:

And here are two views of the structure itself. It is a National Heritage Monument in Bosnia-Herzegovina. Under Bosnian law, this means that not only is the building protected - but the design is patented and constructing the same building somewhere else in the country is strictly prohibited.

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
This is sort of unrelated, but - I'm sure Zohar can confess the truth of this :D - I am obcessed with the Jewish history of my country. It's fascinating to me, it truly is. They have played, and continue to play, a role in my country that I cannot even put into words. During the war here, especially, they were absolutely amazing. Every person alive in my city is, in some way, in debt for their actions.

Anyway, what I want to share is this - Kad ja podjoh na Bembasu (When I go down to Bembasa), Bembasa being the point at which the Miljacka river reaches Sarajevo and makes a wide turn before flowing into the heart of the city. It is a very old Sephardic song, and is the official city anthem of Sarajevo, Bosnia-Herzegovina. You hear it, truly, at least once a week. It's a constant reminder of this city's Jewish heritage.

http://www.bosnaprkosnaodsna.mine.nu/Himzo_Polovina/Kad_ja_podjoh_na_Bentbasu.mp3

·
Registered
7,536 Posts
Since NYC has the both the highest Israeli and Jewish population in the US, here are its synagouges.

Eldridge St Synagogue, Manhattan

Bialystoker Synagogue, Manhattan

Congregation Beth Hamedrash Hagodol, Manhattan

Congregation Shaarai Shomoyim, Manhattan

First Warsaw Congregation First Warsaw Congregation, Manhattan

Central Synagogue, Manhattan

Temple Emanu-El, Manhattan

Civic Ctr Synagogue, Manhattan

Wall St Synagogue, Manhattan

Sutton Pl Synagogue, Manhattan

Park East Synagogue, Manhattan

Shaarey Shamoyim Synagogue, Manhattan

FREE HQ, Brooklyn

FREE of Brighton Beach, Brooklyn

Hebrew Inst of University Hts, The Bronx

Hebrew Inst of Middle Village, Queens

Ahavath Achim Synagogue, Queens

The Congregation of Forest Hills West, Queens

·
Banned
14,131 Posts
why so many synagogues in Manhattan?
i think there more synagogues than in Tel Aviv:)

synagogue in Roma is so amazing!!!!!!

·
BLUE
88 Posts
ZOHAR said:

Like Talb said, NYC has the highest population of Jews and Israelis in the USA.
Zohar, can you post some of Israel's synagogues?

·
Registered
15,028 Posts
I think there is only one sinagogue in the Basque Country, and it is in Bayonne (french-Basque Country).

I don't know its location, so I cannot provide any image.

:(

·
Registered
7,536 Posts
ZOHAR said:

The post should be self-explanatory, but if you don't why there are so many synagouges in NYC, then I will tell the answer. Jews have been living in NYC since 1654 when they either came over from Brazil or from Europe to live in the US. Neighborhoods like the Lower East Side, Flushing, Borough Pk, Crown Hts, Williamsburg, and Yorkville are home to the highest Jewish population in the city and possibly the nation. There are also neighborhoods like Kew Gardens Hills, Midwood, and Chelsea that are known having the largest Israeli communties in the country. As for the synagogues, since there is no distinctive designs, and some of them are made to resemble the area of the Jews were from, while others could have been originally churches. There are actually more than the ones I have shown, b/c these are the mostly the major ones, and the ones that have pics to show of. On a sidenote, if anyone is unable to view the Sutton Pl Synagogue, then right-click on where the red x shows up, select properties, and copy/past the link into your URL for it to show up.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts