SkyscraperCity banner

1 - 20 of 96 Posts

·
Happy to be here
2,547 Posts
Oh I had the chance to see this from the inside when I went to visit SU with my brother. Wonderful college stadium.

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
Is it the biggest arena for basketball in the USA?
I think it's the biggest that is in constant use for basketball, but the final four is usually also played in football stadiums, and as football stadiums go the Carrier dome is pretty small. In 2009 the minimum capacity for the Final Four will be 70,000 meaning there will be no half used stadiums anymore. It's currently 40,000.

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
I think very soon this will be the last stadium in north America with this type of roof.
I find pneumatic supported Domes really interesting and am not totally sure what their drawbacks were to see them fall from vogue by the late 80's.

Sure many of the stadiums felt sterile but was that specifically because of the roof, the Georgia Dome, Tropicana Field and Edward Jones Dome are just as dull so I assume it was more the composition and spartan nature of the seating bowl itself.

With a more varied/novel seating bowl and the use of glass curtin walls, I don't see how they couldn't look too bad.

My City Perth will demolish our pneumatic Dome (the Burswood Dome) in 2013 or 2014. Leaving only the Carrier Dome and Tokyo Dome, that's assuming the Metrodome has also gone.

·
Registered
207 Posts
I find pneumatic supported Domes really interesting and am not totally sure what their drawbacks were to see them fall from vogue by the late 80's.

Sure many of the stadiums felt sterile but was that specifically because of the roof, the Georgia Dome, Tropicana Field and Edward Jones Dome are just as dull so I assume it was more the composition and spartan nature of the seating bowl itself.

With a more varied/novel seating bowl and the use of glass curtin walls, I don't see how they couldn't look too bad.

My City Perth will demolish our pneumatic Dome (the Burswood Dome) in 2013 or 2014. Leaving only the Carrier Dome and Tokyo Dome, that's assuming the Metrodome has also gone.
As a fellow Perthian, I was reading your comment thinking about the Burswood Dome and I think the reason why pneumatic domes aren't being built anymore is because there is simply better alternatives.

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
After writing that I had a dig further to find the very engineers who developed those types of Domes for sporting venues up until the late 80's were the very same that brought in the cable tensile Domes like the Georgia Dome and Tropicana field in the early 90's. Since then they have refited numerous former air-supported structures with some form of the later, most notably BC Place. I'm thinking it may have been a matter of limited rigging loads the air-supported domes could hold vs the later and maybe a less catastrophic failure due to tearing thus less expensive lifetime cost?

Either way, as sterlie as the stadiums themselves look/looked the domes themselves look awesome in my opinion, especially from the inside.

1 - 20 of 96 Posts