Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Frustrated Male Model
475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We start out in the Franklin Square area...

Franklin Square, along the creek. You can see the tip of the State Tower in the background.

Franklin Square.

A lovely fountain.

Mr. Franklin himself.

The fountain from across the street.

The not-very-cleverly named Bridgewater Place.

Now we head over to the Armory Square area...

And finally over to Clinton Square...

On one morning in the month of May when all the birds were singing
I saw a lovely maiden stray across the fields at break of day
She softly sung her roundelay...

"The tide flows in, the tide flows out, twice every day returning"

Her cheeks were red, her eyes were brown
Her hair in ringlets hanging down upon her face to hide the frown
Just as the tide was a'flowing

Sailor's wife at home I spied
She halted, heavily she sighed "he parted from poor me, a bride
I'm widowed by the sea" she cried
Just as the tide was a'flowing

·
Registered
43 Posts
Syracuse

Surprisingly attractive-looking (if very laid-back) little city. Who knew? (At least among Californians like myself). The photos remind me a little of a smaller city in the Midwest where I spent part of my childhood and 20s.

Is the creek part of the Erie canal system that runs through upstate New York?

And is the downtown area usually this empty of people?

·
Frustrated Male Model
475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The Syracuse section of the Erie Canal was filled in and paved over to form Erie Boulevard. The canal ran to the left of the building with the clock tower in the Clinton Square photos. You can't really tell from these shots but the side of the building facing Erie Boulevard is much plainer than the other sides.

I took these pictures on the afternoon of Memorial Day, so crowds were sparse. The Franklin Square area seems to be a mix of office and residential, but the entire neighborhood was deserted. I saw maybe 3 people the entire time I was there. Armory Square and downtown were alive if not bustling, but I just didn't happen to include people in the shots.

·
Told you so...
4,014 Posts
Yeah, certain areas of Syracuse (I claim the 5th as to what they actually are but Armory Sq sounds familiar) have been pretty alive everytime I've been there. Way more activity than I've ever seen in Buffalo or Rochester, for a daytime crowd at least. No doubt what I've seen has been college-related, though; not to say that doesn't count.

I'll say one thing about Syracuse though - either the weather is gorgeous, or it's terrible. Usually when I "go in", it's great; but often when I pass by on the Thruway (in fact, I'd be inclined to say almost always) by far the worst weather on the entire trip was in that area. Running the gamut from an all but maintenance-abandoned Thruway during a morning rush hour snowstorm to a couple summer thunderstorms which actually got heavy enough to force everyone off the road.

·
make it so...
6,755 Posts
every time i've been in syracuse (which is too many to count) it is always overcast.

any pics of nimo? hands down, my favorite building in upstate new york.

·
Registered
6,589 Posts
Yeah, certain areas of Syracuse (I claim the 5th as to what they actually are but Armory Sq sounds familiar) have been pretty alive everytime I've been there. Way more activity than I've ever seen in Buffalo or Rochester, for a daytime crowd at least. No doubt what I've seen has been college-related, though; not to say that doesn't count.

I'll say one thing about Syracuse though - either the weather is gorgeous, or it's terrible. Usually when I "go in", it's great; but often when I pass by on the Thruway (in fact, I'd be inclined to say almost always) by far the worst weather on the entire trip was in that area. Running the gamut from an all but maintenance-abandoned Thruway during a morning rush hour snowstorm to a couple summer thunderstorms which actually got heavy enough to force everyone off the road.
I noticed mucho activity in the CUSE as well, but it is like Buffalo in that the communities surrounding it are tied right into the downtown itself...Rochester has the moat (aka Inner Loop) which makes the situation much different there.

Urban infill, in the core...thats the trick I guess.

·
Registered
309 Posts
jmancuso, you should have visited Syracuse this month. I forgot what a cloudy is is like. It's been warm and sunny everyday for the past few weeks. We actually need a rainy day for the grass not to turn brown.

BTW, Buffalo has more cloudy days per year than Syracuse. Utica only has one more sunny day per year than Syracuse.

average # of cloudy days per year

212 Binghamton, NY
208 Buffalo, NY
205 Syracuse, NY
204 Utica, NY
200 Rochester, NY

1 - 9 of 9 Posts