Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Frustrated Male Model
475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
This weekend I visited the campus of Syracuse University for the first time in, oh, maybe 15 years or so. Here are a few shots.

This was originally the Library, but now it's the Math & Science Library. Interesting story: the architects of the concrete monstrosity that replaced this building forgot to include the weight of books in their calculations, and so it began sinking almost immediately after it was finished. Speaking of concrete monstrosities you can see the Carrier Dome in the background.

View across the quad toward Hendricks Chapel.

Cute boy photographing cricket players on the quad.

Detail of mural telling the store of Sacco and Venzetti.

The Administration building.

Close up of the Administration building.

Terrible picture of a great building: the Newhouse School designed by I.M. Pei.

And the inevitable addition.

Syracuse University's signature building: the Hall of Languages. In the early 80s the building was completely gutted, and the original three floors became five. Fortunately, other than greenhouse-style stairwells in the back the exterior was left alone, because the interior renovation was hideous.

Now we come to one of my favorite buildings in the world, Crouse College designed by Archimedes Russell. It's tall, as you can see, and it sits atop a hill so other than the Carrier Dome it's probably the most visible of all campus buildings (other than high rise dorms).

Once I was wandering around campus late at night, maybe 11 or so, and I heard organ music coming from the auditorium. It was a music student practicing, so i went into the auditorium and listened for about 20 minutes. I never actually saw whoever was playing, so it was very "phantom of the opera".

It was a strange experience being back after so many years. My time at SU was definitely not happy, so being there always reminds me of my poor choices and failures in life. To make it worse, I was there on the day of commencement, a time of promise and optimism. Damn kids!

·
Old Fart
833 Posts
Where's the snow? :jk:

Nice pics of the campus. With the downtown so close and I-81 running alongside, I think the University is sometimes not appreciated as much as it should be. Look forward to more tours, thanks.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Where's the snow? :jk:
Your side comments about Syracuse weather are very annoying. On every forum you go on...when you respond to a Syracuse thread, you always make some smart remark. It shows your true character. I've always wondered why don't you do the same for Rochester and Buffalo?

What if every time I posted a comment on one of your Ithaca threads, I said something like "Where are the hippies?"...it would get old fast.

·
Old Fart
833 Posts
^ Whoa, where did that come from? I think you may have me confused with someone else. I don't recall making a bunch of side remarks about Syracuse weather in my responses to any Syracuse threads. There may be one or two comments in jest, but the operative word is "jest".

As far as Ithaca = hippies, I think you will find my "negative" comments for the old home town are much more frequent, and often more serious than anything I've said about Syracuse.

Don't be so defensive and have some fun. After all the Syracuse city fathers seem to take pride in winning the upstate who's got the most snow battle. If they can see some humor in that, why can't you?

·
make it so...
6,755 Posts
i so wanted to go to SU when i was in high school but damn expensive. then decided i wanted to go to UB and that was even expensive so i ended up...here.

SU has some nice late 1800's buildings. I wasn't expecting it, although now I'm starting to believe that nice buildings from the 1800's are the norm in Upstate New York, and that most places Upstate have some nice things to see.
most cities in upstate still have a large stock of victorian era buildings. buffalo, rochester, albany and syracuse are loaded with them. utica has a lot of houses from that era.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts