Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4,596 Posts
Syracuse, IMO, is very under-rated for a city in New York State. It's very nice looking by all these pictures I have seen. I will definitely come there next summer or pass by it and take a tour of it.

Is that IMAX/Planetarium place an attraction? Thanks for showing all these pics. I was told Syracuse was a very nice area, and these pictures prove it, I don't know if the entire city is nice as downtown, but it will be sweet when I take a tour of that area. :)

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Jaybird said:
Syracuse, IMO, is very under-rated for a city in New York State. It's very nice looking by all these pictures I have seen. I will definitely come there next summer or pass by it and take a tour of it.

Is that IMAX/Planetarium place an attraction? Thanks for showing all these pics. I was told Syracuse was a very nice area, and these pictures prove it, I don't know if the entire city is nice as downtown, but it will be sweet when I take a tour of that area. :)
Thanks Jaybird! That IMAX building is called the MOST which stands for Museum of Science & Technology. It is a nice little attraction. http://www.most.org/

And no, the rest of the city doesn't look as good as downtown, which is why some people view Syracuse as a dump. A lot of decay in the areas around downtown due to the bad economy and lack of outside investment. Huge swaths of the city are owned by slum landlords. Syracuse needs to tear down the run-down houses and try to get a developer to build something like Corn Hill in Rochester. Those light blue colored apartments near downtown Rochester really improved that neighborhood in that city. Don't get too excited about areas outside of downtown Syracuse, I don't want it to let you down.

·
Frustrated Male Model
475 Posts
I live in Buffalo but I grew up in Syracuse. Your photos really captured Syracuse's good side. Excellent job! Some of my favorite buildings, for either aesthetic or sentimental reasons, in no particular order:

The Everson
Niagara Mohawk Building
Assumption Church (the inside is wonderful)
University Block
Onondaga County Courthouse
Mony Plaza
Gridley Building (of course!)
Landmark Theater
Palace Theater

Syracuse doesn't have architecture on the scale of Buffalo. It was never as large or as prosperous. But I think Syracuse has done a better job of undoing damage caused by urban renewal.

·
Registered
25 Posts
on the contrary westside, Syracuse was actually the biggest city in NY for a period of time. Erie Canal and the manufacturing of Salt made Syracuse a huge city back in the day. I think at one time Syracuse was in the top 25 for population in the US. The Railroad made the Erie canal obsolete and Syracuse basicly ran outta salt.

Were due for another boom though. soon i hope.

·
Frustrated Male Model
475 Posts
That could very well be... I'm ashamed to say I don't know. But Syracuse never had the wealth of turn of the century Buffalo, so the architecture is typically on a smaller, more intimate scale. It's often just as beautiful or even more so, but not as grand.

·
Registered
6,589 Posts
Peanut said:
on the contrary westside, Syracuse was actually the biggest city in NY for a period of time. Erie Canal and the manufacturing of Salt made Syracuse a huge city back in the day. I think at one time Syracuse was in the top 25 for population in the US. The Railroad made the Erie canal obsolete and Syracuse basicly ran outta salt.

Were due for another boom though. soon i hope.

Syracuse was never bigger than Buffalo or Rochester

The Erie Canal opened in 1825 and Syracuse became Syracuse the same year, in 1848 it became a city. The oldest population figures I can find go back to 1850 when Syracuse was 22,271. Buffalo was 42,261 the same census.

I don't think Syracuse was ever bigger than Buffalo or Rochester and see my new post this evening about the population comparrison thru history.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.